Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anyone else watching the China/Taiwan situation?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anyone else watching the China/Taiwan situation?

In an area of the world that is already unstable, China has authorized a "war bill" to use if Taiwan trys to secede from the mainland. Could be interesting, I am seeing where Taiwan is seeing this a "provocation".

Should I up my dose of anxiety medication?
~Rob
Old 03-14-2005, 10:05 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am and I feel we better back Taiwan to the bitter end.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:08 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
China!! Dont get me started on that crazy government. We have had Naval forces in that region for at least 4 years now. P3's buzz the coast and "listen" often.

Chinas gov has decided to take a somewhat agressive position on trade and their crude oil buying policy as of late. It will be an interesting next few decades.

The have nots of the world will be after the haves soon.

Don~
Old 03-14-2005, 04:07 PM
Banned

I could tell you... but then I'd have to kill you.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:29 PM
DTR Advertiser

I like the idea of kicking them sooner rather than later. They are growing their military daily and can hit our West coast with nukes. I suspect they will travel further than this, but the West coast is all you hear about.

Taiwan is Democratic. China has a Communist government. 'Nuf said! Time for a change in China. If we dont change them now, we wont have the power to change them later.

Don~
Old 03-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Banned

I'm still trying to figure out exactly where China is on the entire Communism/ Capitalism continuum... I was under the impression that state companies were gone now, but the government was still as corrupt and abusive as [EDITED]? I really haven't been watching it as much as trying to start a war with Mexico...

As I understand it, the thing about China's military is that it's a joke... It's big, but the country doesn't have enough logistical suppurt to keep it standing in country, much less take it over to Taiwan. Yes, that's only a few miles, but you think China has boats? Hehe stupid China...

I think we still have a doctrine to protect liberty and prevent the expansion of communism, don't we? We wouldn't have a choice but to defend Taiwan. We also have very strong economic reasons to defend Taiwain as well.

I am a bit of a warhawk with China; (well, actually in general, but oh well) China's rate of industrialization and regulated currency level is a GIANT economic threat to the entire globe. It is going to lead to big problems, strong arm diplomacy and potentially war or worse- trade embargos. So, we ought as well nuke them before they develop the logistics to do likewise.

(You know, I swear we've already had a thread locked about this... I guess I need to stay quiet about Canada... )
Old 03-14-2005, 07:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Don M
I like the idea of kicking them sooner rather than later. They are growing their military daily and can hit our West coast with nukes. I suspect they will travel further than this, but the West coast is all you hear about.

Taiwan is Democratic. China has a Communist government. 'Nuf said! Time for a change in China. If we dont change them now, we wont have the power to change them later.

Don~
Are you volunteering to lead the charge? C'mon, we're not going to attack China. Ever. If they move on Taiwan, we'll defend Taiwan as we've said we will. Will we be able to prevent a take over? That remains to be seen... there is something to be said about numbers.

Originally posted by Begle1
As I understand it, the thing about China's military is that it's a joke... It's big, but the country doesn't have enough logistical suppurt to keep it standing in country, much less take it over to Taiwan. Yes, that's only a few miles, but you think China has boats? Hehe stupid China...
Well, then you basically don't understand it. China's military is no joke. Like I said, there is something about sheer numbers, but they've been training and modernizing and building, too. Boats? Yeah, they've got a few. Submarines? Yep, them, too. Fighters? Oh, lots of them - good ones, too. Want to learn more before you advocate nuking them? Look here: www.defenselink.mil/pubs/d20040528PRC.pdf

By the way, it's highly unlikely we'll ever nuke someone first. And then only if we are sure they're about to nuke us. Like imminentely, not possibly at some point in the future. Nor should you want our government to casually lob nukes at anyone else. 'Cause then we're fair game should another nuclear power feel WE were threatenting THEM. If we set a precedent that we felt threatened by nukes so we struck first, what's to stop a country from using the same logic in launching a nuke at us?

China's economic development isn't a threat to the globe. Just think of the markets it'll open up for US goods. However, it will also increase competition for natural resources (oil, specifically), too. I just saw one lecture that forcasts/predicts that China's government will change to a democratic form by 2015. The question is, will we have to defend Taiwan before then?
Old 03-14-2005, 07:48 PM
Banned

I say we bring out the nukes. But that's just me.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:15 PM
Banned

Originally posted by joel

Well, then you basically don't understand it. China's military is no joke. Like I said, there is something about sheer numbers, but they've been training and modernizing and building, too. Boats? Yeah, they've got a few. Submarines? Yep, them, too. Fighters? Oh, lots of them - good ones, too. Want to learn more before you advocate nuking them? Look here: www.defenselink.mil/pubs/d20040528PRC.pdf

By the way, it's highly unlikely we'll ever nuke someone first. And then only if we are sure they're about to nuke us. Like imminentely, not possibly at some point in the future. Nor should you want our government to casually lob nukes at anyone else. 'Cause then we're fair game should another nuclear power feel WE were threatenting THEM. If we set a precedent that we felt threatened by nukes so we struck first, what's to stop a country from using the same logic in launching a nuke at us?

China's economic development isn't a threat to the globe. Just think of the markets it'll open up for US goods. However, it will also increase competition for natural resources (oil, specifically), too. I just saw one lecture that forcasts/predicts that China's government will change to a democratic form by 2015. The question is, will we have to defend Taiwan before then?
WHAM!!!

Dig Dig Dig Dig Dig Dig Dig

Well, page 22 of that link you gave us says the following:
Originally posted within Joel's link

"The PLA's logistic capabilities are reported to be a serious deficiency and a major obstacle to it's ability to project force".
That means that I wasn't too far off in my understanding of the situation.

And once again, to "nuke" someone is intended to be a verb describing serious butt kicking and shovel smashing into the ground, be it with or with out nuclear weapons... (My fault, I just like recommending nuclear warfare... )

Now I'm no economics expert, but China's regulated currency means that their government can cause their goods to be poured onto the world's markets for way less than anybody else's; the fixed currency level means that their quality of living is being intentionally kept in the poverty level in order to get an advantage over the rest of the worlds. This means that it is essentially government-certified slave labor, and 1 billion slaves is definitely a bad thing for us folk who would like to be able to compete and drive a $50,000 truck...
Old 03-14-2005, 09:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Chinese MIGs are no match for the unarmed P3s.
Taiwanese still talk about that little incident.

MikeyB
Old 03-15-2005, 10:17 AM

2005 should be interesting.

I would have to agree that it wouldnt be too long before all the Commies die of old age, and the new generation (new ideas) revolt against the gov't and become a democracy.

I get nervous thinking about it. I mean, I know the US will back Taiwan. And all our troops are in the middle east. So who goes to the far east to defend Taiwan?
Old 03-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Begle1
WHAM!!!

Dig Dig Dig Dig Dig Dig Dig

That means that I wasn't too far off in my understanding of the situation.

And once again, to "nuke" someone is intended to be a verb describing serious butt kicking and shovel smashing into the ground, be it with or with out nuclear weapons... (My fault, I just like recommending nuclear warfare... )

Hmmm... good catch there. I admit I only skimmed that, since I have done some research at work that is a good deal more current. But, that's at work... see my first post in this thread.

And as for the term nuke 'em... well, it's just not a term you use when the "em" can nuke you back! At least not where I work!
Old 03-15-2005, 05:55 PM

i didn't even know there was a situation there until i caught this thread...

i don't much follow the news eh...

i didn't find out about the tsunami until 2 days after the fact...
Old 03-15-2005, 06:19 PM

While lacking the ability to "take over" Taiwan, China could certainly make life tough on them. With their submarines and surface vessels they could interdict trade, and their aircraft could be used to target stuff on the interior of the island. The losses incurred doing this would probably be very severe, being as how most of their technology and equipment is not up to snuff with what we sell the Taiwanese. Another thing about having that gigantic army of theirs. You can't just have that many people, you have to feed, arm, and train them. And to be able to project that power is something that requires amounts of transport ability that no one in the world currently has. We couldn't launch even one of the smaller WWII forced landings, never mind something even approaching the scale that would be required for an island the size of Taiwan. And the Chinese have even less amphibious capability than we do.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:54 PM
Banned

Why don't we just them duke it out themselves, rather than risk more innocent U.S. Military lives? If it gets to the point where we NEED to step in, then sure. ..if nukes get involved then we might as well call it WW3 because then everyone's hand will be in the cookie jar.

Quick Reply: Anyone else watching the China/Taiwan situation?