Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anyone driven or own a Honda VTX 1800?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone driven or own a Honda VTX 1800?

I'm giving some serious thought to buying a 1-3 year old Honda VTX 1800 C next summer. I was wondering if anyone on here has one or has spent some time on one. I have researched that style of bike and really like what I have read and you seem to be able to get alot of bike for the money.

I wish I made Harley Fatboy kind of money, but that will have to wait for the next bike.

Any years that are better or worse than any others?
Old 12-17-2004, 10:29 PM

I don't own one, but I was looking this past summer and into fall. Honda actually was selling new left over 2003 VTX1800C's & R's for around $7500. I know a dealer in Columbia, MO and Springfield, MO were offering them at that price. Honda always seems to have new left overs like that, maybe they'll do the same thing next year, I will be moretempted to jump on one then, seems to be a great bike.

Good Luck.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was thinking VTX`s werent that cheap,$14k+?, $7500 pretty darn good. But think of a HD is an investment in your future and will hold its resale for ever. Theres gotta be a VTX specific web sites I would imagine. there, like here is more than you could want to know at times.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:44 AM
Banned

Originally posted by apache
But think of a HD is an investment in your future and will hold its resale for ever.
I disagree... I think the peak of HDism is past. You can find dealers now selling at MSRP or even less. The cache (and prices) of the bike will diminish as the market is saturated and the yuppies who have been propping up the bikes move on to other things. I'm not talking about a straight drop or anything, but they'll slowly creep back towards realistic prices and used bike values will - customized jobs excepted - slowly creep back down.

Having said that, my wife wants a Harley. Two, in fact: a smaller one for her - probably a Sportster 1200 and a bigger one for me/2-up, probably a Fat Boy or one of the Dynas.

We did test ride a VTX. I liked it; it's a BIIIIG bike. But, she didn't like it that much. Didn't have the rumble of the Harley. I think she still likes the cache of the Harleys, too. Me? I like riding bikes, but I'd get whatever seemed to suit me best for the riding I plan to do. I had a sport bike but wasn't riding it all that much, so I sold that one. BMW makes some great bikes, too.... I've been thinking of a ride up the Alaskan Highway and a BMW seems like it would be best suited for that trip. But, since she has such a strong preference... I guess I'll "have" to get a Harley, right?
Old 12-18-2004, 10:15 AM

Seroiusly, I agree with the "partys over", theory. I was kinda amazed to see over the past years the upswing and now huge decline in HD riders at our local toys for tots and local bike club events. I talkin maybe 1/3 of the people that there was 2 years ago. Ive been riding for 30 years and its pretty interesting to see the way things shift or change. All 3 of the shops here are currently doing or have recently completed rebuilding or relocating to these huge facilities. Musta seen some good profits lately. To me nothing is like a HD, not saying its the best or ragging on anything else. Just has its own way. Its kinda like the old hot rod I always wanted but couldent build, loud, basic, uncomplicated,crusty, comfy. The Alaskan hwy..... hum , my buddy has a BMW GS 1150 Adventure, he wants to do the same. I might even have to get me a GS and join him.
Enjoy what ever you end up with, cant beat the feeling of your knees in the breeze.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:54 AM

i,ve rode the vtx 1800c and loved it, the power was awsome and it is definatly a big bike. One thing is there is a huge aftermarket of goodies to customise those bikes, and the price plus quality is hard to beat. And if it matters to you there made in Ohio, they dont break down , and are the AMA drag bike world champion for many years now.
Old 12-18-2004, 11:51 AM

I thought the Yamaha Warrior big twin was the Drag bike of choice? there even advertising it in HD only mags these days. How bout the Honda Rhune?
Old 12-18-2004, 12:33 PM

I sat on the Warrior and I didn't like the feel of it.

As far as the Rune, it is in my opinion, and if I had that kind of money to spend, I would buy the Fatboy instead.

With your 30 years of riding experience, I appreciate your input though, apache.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:26 PM

I have a 1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special which is equiped with an inline 4. This bike is pretty aggressive and the engine is sort of a predecessor to the modern 'crotch-rockets' you see ripping around. The thing is, it has classic 70's styling and that makes it sort of a sleeper. I am constantly challenged by "Hog riders" who look down their nose at it, then slink off in surpised shame after their bikes have been smoked like a fine cigar. Before you Harley guys get all bent out of shape, I am not taking anything from the beautiful classic machine that is the Harley Davidson...truly an American Icon, I just think that many HD buyers are first time riders with far more cash than sense or experience, and since they paid so much for the bike, think that it should surely be the fastest thing on the road, at least much faster than an old 70's looking Jap thing with a raked fork and sissy bar with foxtail snapping in the breeze.

Anyway, regarding that VTX....last summer, I was going up the on-ramp to the interstate when I hear the familiar thump of an approaching V-Twin. I glanced over my shoulder and spotted a BIG bike coming on hard for the pass. Another lawyer on a fat-boy...School time, thinks I as I shifted down and put the spurs to "The Breeze" expecting to see the big bike fade from view in my rear view mirror like so many ohter V-Twin victims. Instead, and much to my surprise I saw a big, grinning guy GAINING on me as I quickly changed gears and leaned down for less wind resistance. That gear changed cost me because now he was leaning down also, but now was dead even with me as my engine was winding back to its optimal power band range. I could see the distinctive VTX logo on the bike...this wasn't a Harley and sure as hell wasn't acting like the many I had pounded into the pavement before. Well, I topped out at 120 on the interstate, and he drove on by, still accelerating. I don't know if it was built or not, but that thing could MOVE. Keep that story in mind if you want to go and put an older hot-shot inline four, with a smug rider atop, away at top end next summer That's what I can tell you about the VTX 1800.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:59 PM

If you're looking for a new one, Schroaders Honda in Hendersonville, NC has some great prices - but they're "cash only" prices. But it doesn't look like they can come close to $7500 for the 1800. Maybe on the 1300......

http://www.honda-direct.com/

If you can save some bucks it might be worth looking into flying in; and it would be a fun ride home.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:51 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I'm kind of a motorcycle enthusiast, and try to follow the industry...

I would agree that the HD thing is cooling off, as all fashion trends eventually do (I'm not knocking HD, I own one). Indian and several other clone makers have already dropped by the wayside, and some HD models can be had at MSRP without a long waiting period.

As far as the VTX goes, I haven't heard of any major issues, but it seems to me I've heard people chatting about a few of them fouling spark plugs (very minor issue).

Otherwise, it's a Honda (meaning super reliable, very well engineered, high quality, and functional). Also, built in America if I'm not mistaken...

The 2300cc Rocket 3, and the Boss Hoss (350 or 502ci Chevy) are the only other cruisers that are likely to be able to walk away from the Honda, but it sounds like both would be out of your price range…

I’d say go for the Honda. I doubt you would regret it. Percentage wise some popular HD models will still likely hold excellent resale value, but the Honda costs so much less I think the cost of ownership per year will be reasonable.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:11 AM

We ran into a guy on a Indian Chief yesterday comming home. He just picked it up and said a Brit co has bought all the tooling and patent to start them up again. Sweet lookin bike, to bad to see the Indian name get tossed around so badly. BTW, I had my 99 HD at 118 mph yesterday comming home, suppose if I tucked in a little it woulda topped 120 easy. Didnt think that was bad for a 5 year old bile with 40K on it.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by apache
I had my 99 HD at 118 mph yesterday comming home, suppose if I tucked in a little it woulda topped 120 easy. Didnt think that was bad for a 5 year old bile with 40K on it.
Not bad at all....Man,...doncha just love those things?
Old 12-19-2004, 10:36 AM

Long time ago I worked for Kerker, the exhaust system people. A friend there had a old XS1100. that thing was tricked out and hauled booty. Made a full cafe type racer outta it. Put my new interceptor to shame. Aint nothin like the thrill you get from a bike
Old 12-19-2004, 04:20 PM

Rode one last year, very nice bike with huge amount of torque, was considering buying it but decided to keep my Valkyrie. If you are going to ride solo it would be a good choice. The passenger seat isn't much on long trips. We have been riding 40+ years and have had just about every brand and style bike made, and had very good service from every Honda we owned. Don,t know where they are made, but are probably more American than most...... I think I would try one out before buying one just to be sure......some good deals on E-Bay this time of year too........