Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anyone collect these?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone collect these?

Sports cards, baseball and basketball mainly. I think I have a box or two of some old football cards, and I know I have a box of some old non-sports trading cards (x-men, spiderman, nothing "bad")

I have a bunch of boxes of baseball and basketball cards that I just want to get rid of. I don't need or want them anymore. I'd rather see someone else put them to use or give them to their child or grandchild. My question is what's the best way to go about selling them? It would take me forever to list which sets I have, which I would say about 1/3 to half of them are complete or very close. Most are from the late 80's and through the 90's with perhaps a few the early part of this decade. I have several rookie cards as well, signed cards and some other harder to find cards. The two standout rookie cards I have are McGwire and Bonds, but unfortunately I didn't sell them back in the days I should have, lol! I just want to figure out what they may be worth and go from there. So any help is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 12-13-2007, 01:13 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

You could try Craig's list. I havent but my father inlaw used it recently to get rid of a bunch of old tools.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:58 AM

Yeah, I thought about that. I just can't stand the scammers. I've got an ad on there now and I've gotten probably near a dozen junk mails from people who saw it on craig's list. I just think someone would be much more happy with them in their possession instead of mine.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:54 PM

You might try ebay
Old 12-13-2007, 02:56 PM

See if you have an E-Bay store within a reasonable distance. They will handle the posting and sail and shipping for a percentage. Easy way to do it. Good luck
Old 12-13-2007, 03:08 PM

I am in the same boat, have a big box full of cards and don't really want to sort through it all. I was thinking of trying a local Card Shop... if there are any anymore.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:36 PM

Yeah, card shops are still around. There are at least 3 or 4 I know of around my side of town here in Indy. Problem is they seem to be worse than the average joe.....I took in some cards that I had looked up and found them to be worth a lot more than I thought, one was a card with a piece of a game-worn uni and the guy offered me about 30 bucks for well over 250 bucks worth of cards on the low value side.....these were all cards that were just as good as when they came out of the box, and would grade at least 9 or better. I know I would be wasting my time taking over 60,000 cards in, when there are probably a few thousand that people would really want to add to their collections.

Originally Posted by strokerace
You might try ebay
After seeing what they go for there, I'll pass!
Old 12-14-2007, 09:57 AM

I used to collect them when I was growing up.
If I knew then what I know now about the prices for some of the cards, I would have kept them.
Dont know how many I wasted on the spokes of my bike.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:58 PM

Yeah, depending on what they are......I have some decent rookie cards from the 70's that I came across sorting through my collection and they aren't worth very much......but if you're talking cards from long before that, I can see them being worth quite a bit.....I wonder how many honus wagner cards saw some bicycle spokes?
Old 12-15-2007, 11:47 AM

I might add that the afore mentioned cards on bike spokes were from the fiftys and early sixty s.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:26 PM

I guess then it depends on what players card it was. I've got some cards in my collection from the late 50's and they didn't appear to be worth a whole lot, but I haven't really looked that hard...