Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anybody shoot a Bowtech?...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody shoot a Bowtech?...

Sold my Mathews UltraMax and I am ordering a Bowtech Extreme VFT(70lb draw)! I getting a pretty good deal on the Bowtech. Anybody else shoot a Bowtech? I never thought I would part w/ the Mathews but this Bowtech is SWEET! Buddy of mine has an Extreme VFT and it chronos with an IBO arrow at 330 fps. I just had to tell somebody! Can't wait til it comes in. -Steve
Old 01-30-2004, 01:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I got to shoot one several times, so all I can say is ....ENJOY. I will make do with my old Bears I guess for a while longer. Not as fast or smooth, but meat is in the freezer anyway.

Ed
Old 01-30-2004, 01:33 PM

Mine is a Red Man........made right here in NE Oklahoma. I'm confident with mine out to 75 yards............
Old 01-30-2004, 03:24 PM

75 yards????get real..................only on the 3-d range i hope
Old 01-30-2004, 03:48 PM

Yeah, I would have kept the Mathews, it definately was no slouch on the range, but the wife approved the Bowtech, and I've wanted one BAD since I shot my friends. -Steve
Old 01-30-2004, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by bama
75 yards????get real..................only on the 3-d range i hope

There is always one in the crowd......
Old 01-31-2004, 07:55 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don’t mean to put water on your fire, I agree it’s a nice bow,( by the way congratulations on having a wife that understands, you got to have new toys on occasions) but a wise man told me once. “You can kill’um only so dead.”
I think I’ll stick to my old PSE lightning .It still gets the job done.
As for the 75 yards, I’d have to see it to believe it. I ‘m not saying it can’t be done, only that it can’t be done by very many.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:34 AM

I am still bowhunting with a Bear Whitetail (original, not a split-limb) - if I can't get them within 30 yards of me I don't deserve to bring them home, anyway. That said, I hunt in over-populated areas in dense brush, over 30 yards and I usually can't see them anyway, much less have a clear flight path. I usually shoot deer inside of 20 yards, sometimes within 10 feet - so a double-lung shot is not possible due to the angle. But with being that close the arrow usually punches through the far side down low so the blood trail is easy to follow.

Those of you that have open fields to hunt need a 50 yard bow. I haven't traded mine in yet because I still can do the job with what I got - but that doesn't mean I haven't been looking. I like some of the PSE equipment, as well as some of the Hoyt. Of course, anything is better than what I currently use, it is just a matter of economics - mine was paid for 27 years ago and still works (DANG! I am beginning to sound like my father!)

I will probably get my Dad's bow this year - he is getting too old to hunt with a bow. He prefers blackpowder hunting, anyway. Too many toys to be had, not enough money to go around.......
Old 01-31-2004, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by redramnc
I Too many toys to be had, not enough money to go around.......
Man, isn't that the truth. I am just getting back into archery, and am shooting in an indoor league. I took the old Bear White-tail (mine is the original also) in, and thought I'd impress them by shooting how I always used to: no sights, and with my fingers. Well, after a couple of rounds (those bullseyes are incredibly small, and in between fits of polite laughter, not one archer was impressed) I decided to start shooting a friends old Martin Cougar equiped with sights, and I have since bought a release, but the rest is old and causes quite a few flyers. I am shooting better, scoring 15-19 (out of 25) pretty consistantly. I have shot some of my fellow archers' nice stuff, and I think I am going shopping this spring, but again, I defer to Redramnc's quote. BTW, there is this old (65 or so?)guy that shoots in the league with an old Martin with no sights and he uses a finger tab, and he is DEADLY, and he shoots incredibly fast, pulls up, WHAP. He is in second place for league total points! I asked him how he learned to shoot like that and he replied "Practice...lots of it, if you start now, you still don't have enough time to shoot like I do when you get to be my age". (I am 39).
Old 01-31-2004, 09:11 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I was planning on getting back into 3-D after a 6 year lay-off.
When I looked at the new equipment available today I was

When I looked at the prices of that equipment I was

When I informed Wifey what it would cost to get back into competing, she was

So it looks like I'll need to dust off my '91 PSE Limited Edition ........
Old 01-31-2004, 11:49 AM

Yeah, it is nice to get new toys! And yes, here in Montana we do have alot of open space and hunting the prarrie we regularly have to take 45-50 yard shots. But I WILL NOT take a shot unless I am confident that it will result in a quick, clean kill. The new speed bows are a big help on long shots where you need a flat trajectory, in case you are off a bit on your range estimation.
By the way, anyone have any experience with High Country bows, namely the SSR? A friend is looking at getting one, it has a carbon fiber riser and only weighs 2.5 lbs. Only problem is, we can't find any published IBO speeds for it and High Country hasn't replied to his e-mails. They do publish the bows speed as 360 fps but this is with a 200 gr arrow, NOT IBO. He thinks will be faster as the Bowtech, but I kind of doubt it. -Steve
PS- Glad to see there are this many other bowhunters running around here!
Old 01-31-2004, 05:38 PM

I just got my new Firestorm lite from PSE 30 inch axle to axle and 8" brace height and love it. I hunt alot out of Double Bull blinds and love the shortness very nice bow in my opinion but then again I'm a little bias always owned PSE.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:16 PM

Went back to college and ended up having to take another PE. Got looking and found an archery class, figured it would be an easy A. Only problem is that they made you shoot the school bows which were recurves of about 35 pound max. Plus, there were only crude arrow rests and no sights (well, they did let you have a colored stick pin in a piece of foam stuck to the riser). Had to shoot with a tab, too. I gave up and shot bare-fingered.

Thought I would be able to bring in my old equipment but the professor said everyone had to deal with the same handicap. I still outshot everybody but the instructor (ex-Olympian qualifier). Made me really appreciate the lighted sight pins, pendulum sights, releases, and arrow rests that are available now.

Still, hunting boils down to range estimation and placing the shot in the kill zone. And that is something that can only be learned the hard way - which shots to take and which ones to let walk are the essence of hunting. Practice still makes perfect and 3-D ranges are good, but being able to block out the buck fever when you are up a tree and a wallhanger is walking toward you cannot be simulated anywhere else.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by BigBlackDodge

My wife is the current womens outdoor Texas State champion, she won the SYWAT last year, she won the BigDawg All-around, and is curretnly leading the SYWAT this year by a substantial margin.
Hey Man, now that is impressive!, Congrats to her!!