Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anybody know anything about putting up a fence??

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have any cross bracing on the doors or something to help prevent sagging? It looks great btw
Old 07-12-2008, 03:00 AM

Looks great DZ. Did you end up getting a screw gun to frive all them screws?
Old 07-12-2008, 06:00 AM

I did the whole fence with my trusty Black & decker 18 volt cordless drill.

No cross bracing on the gates yet but I was thinking about using some treated plywood and covering the whole gates. That might be too heavy though. What do you guys think? Would I be just as well using a 1x6 on each gate going from the post down to the bottom inside corner? I think my problem will be that the main piece of lumber on each gate was a 4x4 and the rest is 2x4s.
I have to put one more hinge on each gate too but I ran out of bolts. I'm not so sure the lag bolts were the best idea either even though they were 2.5" long... These pics were taken yesterday evening so most of them look like the fence is old already. The wood is indeed bright and green. Well, there is one 1x6 on the right side gate brace that has been in my yard for a couple years. I figured I'd use it for a brace since I already had it...

The very back portion has a steep drop-off on the backside so I put the fence boards on the inside back there. I also put a little gate on the corner so I can get to the backside without going through the neighbor's yard. I loaded a couple more pics.

I'm very happy with the end result considering I had absolutely no help other than advice from you guys and from my Father-in-Law. There are so many crappy looking fences around here and I just wanted to make sure mine wasn't one of them. Oh, the total bill for absolutely everything I spent on this fence was under $1400.00. I am ecstatic about that!!!!!!

Old 07-12-2008, 06:49 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow man that looks freaking amazing good job for sure. Have you thought about what your going too treat it with? We have treated a few of them with old ATF really helps the wood stay nice and gives a darker look

P.S. You might want too stick a marker of some kind as a reference on the ground for a tire on the trailer so you don't smash your handy work
Old 07-12-2008, 06:52 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Looks good, dude!
Old 07-12-2008, 07:36 AM

Thanks Men.
I have a 5 gallon can of sealer but I am considering staining it too. I'm not sure yet. Can you get a green stain? I don't know if I want that dark brown or reddish color....
I don't really plan on backing the trailer back there but I made it wide enough just in case. The red tree will keep me from getting the trailer fully in the yard. I will surely drive the truck back there though.
The very back yard was very uneven so I just pulled stringlines in two different sections. It looks great up top but the bottom has occasional gaps in it especially over where the little gate is. I'm not sure how I will deal with that...

Old 07-12-2008, 07:48 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Dude, here's the thing about staining... if you don't maintain it, it looks like garbage, and you'll never get it back without a lot of work.

If you want to paint it... that's on you, killer.

I stained my deck and fence with some Thompson's water sealer and stain, and while I was at PI I missed a year of pressure washing and re-staining... it looks like garbage now, and nothing seems to work to fix it.

I'd go with a clear, if you want to save some work later.

Get a gallon garden sprayer and spray it on, easy and good coverage.

Note to self, tho... if you spray, make sure that the wind is not blowing, because even if your truck is parked 50 feet away, you'll still get that stain all over it and spend 3 weeks with a clay bar and half a day with some polishing compound trying to get it all off...
Old 07-13-2008, 05:44 PM

Thanks. I have a brand new garden sprayer and I will just use it to spray the sealer on it the way it is.
Once again, I appreciate all the advice here. The great thing about this site is that no matter what you are doing, there are so many members now that there has to be someone who has done what you are getting into. Even if it has nothing to do with trucks.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:09 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

wow... I never thought I would see this day...
Old 07-14-2008, 03:56 AM

LOL! My wife said the same thing......