Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anybody know anything about putting up a fence??

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DZ I have had issues with augers as well. Was the bit somewhat sharp? It doesn't have to be super sharp, but I got one that was pretty dull and it dug a lot better once I grinded on it for a "bit." lol That's weird how you had better luck with the manual digger vs the auger. It might have just been the dirt. There were a few holes with the last fence that I did where there were several inches of dirt that the auger had a hard time chewing up. At least you got them done. How deep did you guys go?
Old 07-01-2008, 04:26 AM

We went 24" down. It was actually quite easy digging the holes manually. Had I known that I would have saved my money. I complained to the manager about how poorly it worked and he refunded half my money. I was happy with that.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:55 AM

Well that's good you got some dough back.
Remember to use quality materials! I just did a removal of a terrible fence maybe 5 years old. It was 24" down with small holes for the posts. They were set in crete, but it cracked at the four corners and about half of them I could wedge up and out pretty easily. It was a horribly constructed fence I'll tell you that much.....all that pre-made crap with 1/4 thick pickets.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:36 AM

I couldn't have come across this post at a better time. I'll be building a wood fence in early August.
Thanks for all the great info guys!
Old 07-01-2008, 07:51 PM

Well, I'm getting all the lumber at Lowes. I'm not sure where there would be a better place to buy it. I considered prefab panels but after some of the posts here I decided to just stick build it. I have to get about 450 of the fence boards and install them one by one. Oh well, what better way to spend a 3 day weekend. Now I'm even getting the itch to do a couple more projects that I have been putting off. I had better finish this one first though...

And my posts are all in holes starting at 8" diameter for the first 6"-8" and then about 5" the rest of the way down. We also dropped some crete in each hole before putting the post in to help seal it from water...
Old 07-01-2008, 08:22 PM

A few years ago, my best friend and I built a whole new fence for his back yard and it turned out great for being built by two twentysomethings with no fence building experience whatsoever. In fact, I showed pics of the fence to the owner of the house I just moved into 8 days ago and she liked the work so much that she wants myself and my best friend to build a new fence at this house.

Scott
Old 07-01-2008, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
Well, I'm getting all the lumber at Lowes. I'm not sure where there would be a better place to buy it. I considered prefab panels but after some of the posts here I decided to just stick build it. I have to get about 450 of the fence boards and install them one by one. Oh well, what better way to spend a 3 day weekend. Now I'm even getting the itch to do a couple more projects that I have been putting off. I had better finish this one first though...

And my posts are all in holes starting at 8" diameter for the first 6"-8" and then about 5" the rest of the way down. We also dropped some crete in each hole before putting the post in to help seal it from water...
450 that's quite a few. I think I did 370 on one fence and 200 or so on another. I know the 370 kind of sucked to do, it's a lot of screwing. I like to use screws, I think they're better than nails and there are a lot more options for colored screws than nails from what I have found. You might check out one of those Senco guns that auto feeds screws. I thought it'd be another gimmick tool, but heck no....those things work really darn well.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:41 AM

I think it seems like a lot but going by the total measurement of the fence that's what I come up with. Those are 6" wide boards too. That screw gun sounds like an awesome idea but I don't want to buy a tool I will never use again. I learned many years ago to always use screws for outdoor projects. I never even considered nails.
The hardest part of this whole thing will be building my double gates. I made the opening wide enough to get the trailer through even though it will probably never go into the back yard.....
Old 07-02-2008, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
I think it seems like a lot but going by the total measurement of the fence that's what I come up with. Those are 6" wide boards too. That screw gun sounds like an awesome idea but I don't want to buy a tool I will never use again. I learned many years ago to always use screws for outdoor projects. I never even considered nails.
The hardest part of this whole thing will be building my double gates. I made the opening wide enough to get the trailer through even though it will probably never go into the back yard.....
Do yourself a favor and use 4x6 posts for your gates and go down 3 feet. It will last much longer that way and not tilt or sag. I would also suggest a metal frame to prevent sag. If you have a level surface a roller on the bottom helps too. If the surface isn't level don't use a roller. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:34 AM

Good idea on the 4x6 posts for gates. The gates I build for my customers are all wood, but I don't turn my 2x4's flat as I've seen most gates all screwed up by mounting them flat. I use 2x4 cross bracing from corner to corner and screw it all together, using small washers under the heads of the screws to help keep them from being pulled down into the wood like I've seen happen on older gates. It makes for one darn strong gate, slightly on the heavy side but I don't think there's much of a way around that. I also try to keep them around 48" or so for that reason. I build the frame about an inch under the rough opening size, getting one side tight to the hinge side leaving the extra inch on the latch side...then I use a 1x2 strip of wood mounted to the latch side to act as a jamb to keep the gate plumb with the rest of the fence when it closes. I just have about an inch or a bit less of a panel hanging off the end of the gate frame to make contact with the jamb. It has worked perfectly for every fence I have built, including one about 5 years old I put up at my old house.

DZ keep in mind those fence boards may not be right at 6" they are usually 5.5". That is the width I measured all of my fencing to and the last two fences I did I had 2 and 3 boards left over respectively. I also hand picked all of mine and hauled them myself rather than let Lowe's give me whatever and drop them where I didn't want them.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:55 PM

I changed my mind on the fence boards I want to use and the new ones, which are 5.5" wide, will require me to use about 325 of them. My posts are already in the ground so it will be 4x4s holding the gate up. I do plan on extra bracing on the gate doors and also the panels holding the gate up. Those sections are only 5' wide so I think they will be OK.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:48 PM

Well, 3 hours yesterday and about 11 hours today and I'm over 2/3rds done. It may not seem like much but I am all alone and really had no plan except for a picture in my head. Plus my trailer is in the way so I had to carry all the lumber around as I needed it. I didn't want to stop working just to move the trailer...
Anyways, the fence is looking awesome. It's just slow going building it stick by stick and using screws to boot. My gates turned out great too. Not bad for a loser with no carpentry experience at all. I'll have pics when it's done. I'm tired!!!!!!
Old 07-04-2008, 10:36 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

There is very little that I nail anymore. screws are easier, faster, more secure. atleast they are for me..
Old 07-05-2008, 01:42 AM

If you don't use screws you will get screwed by the nails LOL that's what I tell people....
Old 07-11-2008, 08:16 PM

Finally got pics taken...

Pics pending in my gallery....

Quick Reply: Anybody know anything about putting up a fence??