Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anybody know anything about putting up a fence??

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:32 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get mad hat up. It'll cost a few cases, but it should only take a day or so to do.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
I never did it yet. I have, however, bought all the posts and they are just waiting for me to dig a hole and pour concrete around them. $6000 is just way too much to pay for a fence that I can do myself for $2000 max. I don't mind doing the work, I just want to make sure I do it right. I have reinforcements lined up to help. I just have to coordinate it so that everybody is there at the same time. All I really need is help to get the posts set. I can do the rest.....
Hey DZ how many posts do you have to set?
Old 04-23-2008, 03:24 AM

About 25. I will be butting up against my neighbor's existing fence on one side which will save me a lot of work...
Old 04-23-2008, 09:59 AM

That's more than me. I measured for about 22 posts, but found out yesterday they don't plan to go quite as far back in the yard, probably 8 feet less so it may only be 19 or 20 posts. Good thing you're butting up, sounds like you've got a nice chunk to enclose.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Banned

Im a fence contractor and for the distance you stated my quote would be around $5600.00 for decrotive board fence.
Either cedar boards or green treated boards.
Posts cemented in.
Price includes 2 gates.
Vinyl fence around here would be over double that price.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:15 PM

Longhorn, approximately what percentage of your quote is materials if you don't mind me asking? I have people ask me all the time how much it costs to put up a fence and I've alway told them about 1/3 of the price is materials and they kind of freak out.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:41 AM

I'm still waiting for MadHat to offer to come up and help for a few cases. Heck, I'll fill up his truck bed if he does it!!!!!!
Old 05-01-2008, 10:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 03qclb5spd
Longhorn, approximately what percentage of your quote is materials if you don't mind me asking? I have people ask me all the time how much it costs to put up a fence and I've alway told them about 1/3 of the price is materials and they kind of freak out.

Materials usually work out to about 50% but its easy to forget something you need and run over the 50% mark.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:50 AM

Do not set posts in wet concrete. They will rot. Set posts in fence-post-mix dry then pore water on the mix (a couple gallons). This allows for a loose mix that allows water to drain away., or set them in pee gravel. Setting posts in pee gravel is the longest lasting option. They won't be rock solid until they sit for about a year, but they will last decades..

I've got 1200 feet of rotten cedar posts (that were set in wet concrete) that lasted only 15 years. Here in Northern California in adobe/ sandy loam soil the best way to have wooden posts not rot is to set them in pee gravel. Posts will last 30+ years, rock solid. Wood/labor is just too expensive to have it all go bad after just 15 years.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:11 PM

Okay so I really don't understand the difference......you're still pouring water on the concrete in the end. I set mine in dry concrete mix, pour some in and tamp it down, then repeat. The top 6 inches I spray water and mix it around a little to get the slope formed and so none washes away in a rainstorm or gets stepped on......etc.....
Old 05-03-2008, 05:49 AM

I don't plan on being in my house ten years from now so I'm not too worried about that. I'm just trying to keep the little monster caged in for a couple years.....

Another question. It seems that almost every house in the neighborhood starts their fence right at the very back edge of the house. My wife wants me to start the fence about in the middle of the house.What is the reason most people start so far back? Is it just to save $$$?
Old 05-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Banned

In some subdivisions theres a "set back" rule for fences.
Its usually the front of the house but maybe its the back of the house where you are.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:47 AM

That's a good question there dz. Ya know I really don't know the exact answer. I think that my best guess is that it could be against code if you take a fence of a certain height past flush with the back of the house. I think I do recall seeing fences brought flush to the front of the house before though. At my old house I put up a fence on both sides of my house to enclose the back yard where neighbors had already done 3 sides. On one side it was flush with the back, but on the other side I put it in the center of the side of the house, mainly because of the doghouse and the outdoor a/c unit was right behind it and that was also my place to store firewood so it kept it all from being visible from the street. I'd say check with code and if there's nothing against it then do as you wish.

I'm heading off in a few minutes to do a little screwing and trimming on the one I put up, should be about two hours and then it's done. I'll upload a pic or two.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:05 PM

I'm heading off in a few minutes to do a little screwing and trimming
Profanity is against the rules here!!!!!

Thanks for the tip. I'll check the code.....
Old 05-18-2008, 12:11 PM

Well, I took the next step. I went to the county website and it told me I needed to draw up some fence plans on 11 x 17 paper and bring two copies with me to the county building to get zoning approval. I used a platt I have to draw up some really nice plans and then spent a good while longer duplicating them on a second page as per the county instructions. I went to the county building with plans in hand and the first thing she asks me is "Where is your platt of your property?" I said "I didn't bring it because the instructions on the website just said to bring two sets of plans. It made no mention of bringing the platt." She goes on to tell me that they don't even need or want the plans but they do need the platt. Well, I'm at the county building but do you think they can get me a platt without a big hassle? NO!! I had to drive back home and grab my platt and go back again. So, anyways, I wasted about 4 hours of my time trying to find the paper they said I had to have and then drawing up two sets of plans all of which was not needed at all. They just looked at my platt and made me get approval since part of the fence will be on a storm drainage easement and I was in and out in a jiffy. I gave them some crap about the website being misleading but it probably did no good..

So, now I just have to get out there and do it......

Quick Reply: Anybody know anything about putting up a fence??