Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anybody know anything about putting up a fence??

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody know anything about putting up a fence??

I need a fence to keep the rugrats at bay. I got an estimate for $5000 from a guy who does it on the side. I just think that's crazy!! I priced out the pre-made fence panels and it looks like it would run me about $1500.00 plus whatever extra it costs to put up a big gate. So, do you have to put concrete at the base of each fence post or do you just get the dirt good and compact around the posts. I did figure my price using Sakrete but I swear I don't recall ever seeing people doing that while they were putting up a fence.
I don't really want to do this myself, and I don't mind someone making a buck for doing the work, but $3500.00 in labor for a couple days work at most is just crazy to me.
What do you guys think??
Old 06-23-2007, 04:15 PM

You could do it yourself for much cheaper. Personally if you want posts that won't lean over time or migrate and make it look out of line I would use concrete. Get your posts marked, and rent an auger for a couple of hours and do them all at once. Get them set nice and straight and the posts will stay put for years and years to come. I've seen the results of just sticking them into the dirt. It's ugly!
Old 06-23-2007, 04:17 PM

It sounds high to me. But more detail is needed. How many linear feet? How tall? What kind of material? What style? I know I wouldn't pay that much. I've put up lot's of fences. It's not that hard. I do use sacrete in every hole myself. There are a lot of good do-it-yourself guides out there. Don't buy the panels. Do it right. It'll be cheaper and stronger in the long run.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:19 PM

Figure 1 bag concrete per post
Rent a augger from a local rental it is worth it
check buying the componets usually they are cheeper than the panels in the long run and look better.
The hardest part is the holes and setting post once that it is done it goes fast
Old 06-23-2007, 04:23 PM

concrete will cause your posts to rot faster. Water will sit on the crete and wick into the wood.

Marshall
Old 06-23-2007, 04:28 PM

That's all kind of what I was thinking. One bag of sakrete per post and heck yes I would rent an auger. It almost seems like the pre-made panels would take more effort to get them lined up right especially since my yard has a slant. I forget how many linear feet it is but I really only need to do two and a half sides because my neighbor already has a fence up that I could butt up against. I think I figured like 25 or 28 of the 6' panels...

So how many of you are coming over to help????
Old 06-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Kinda funny - I got one of those "You might be a redneck" page-a-day calenders for Christmas. Today's is "If you have a fence in your yard, but it's not up."

We put up the 3 foot vinyl decorative fence to keep the dogs in, the posts are just set in the dirt. It was really easy to work with, and if you are just trying to keep kids from wandering in (or out) it will do just fine.
Old 06-23-2007, 04:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I used concrete mix on the gate and corner post and gravel on the line posts. Kept the horse and cattle in.

Dan
Old 06-23-2007, 05:09 PM

I'm thinking about a 6' fence since that is what all the neighbors have...
Old 06-23-2007, 06:19 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Treat'um!

Use concrete and go with treated posts at least and preferably metal. It'll last forever with galvanized round posts. Treated rails too,with cedar boards.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:52 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Where on the east coast, DZilla? This is what I grew up doing. If you're close enough, I'll come help you put it up for beer and food...

www.mortonag.com

As for the concrete, I don't think that you need a whole bag. It also depends on where you live, and what kind of soil that you have. If you can find a wholesale lumber yard that sells pre-made pickets, you can make it pretty cheep.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:57 PM

I don't really want to do this myself, and I don't mind someone making a buck for doing the work, but $3500.00 in labor for a couple days work at most is just crazy to me.
What do you guys think??[/QUOTE]

Just be carefull about what is underground that you do not see. wires and such. othwise you can build a fence as good as your energy, time, wisdom, cash, and tools allow you to. I do some digging in the ground for myself and for some nieghbors as time allows and we are always wondering where and how deep those lines are.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:10 PM

What ever you do, be sure to call for locates (of utilities)! In most locations you still have to hand dig 24" on each side of their mark. You hit a utility without asking for locates and you get the bill for repairs, and it's usually 3 times what it really cost to do the work.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Iron Mike
It sounds high to me. But more detail is needed. How many linear feet? How tall? What kind of material? What style? I know I wouldn't pay that much. I've put up lot's of fences. It's not that hard. I do use sacrete in every hole myself. There are a lot of good do-it-yourself guides out there. Don't buy the panels. Do it right. It'll be cheaper and stronger in the long run.
I agree with the whole comment, especially the end

I am guessing you are doing a wood privacy fence? It would be pretty easy to build, and the panels are overpriced junk IMHO. I would rent/buy/borrow a coil nailer to put the pickets up... (Check Pawn Shops if you want to buy one.)
Old 06-23-2007, 10:21 PM

First things first - get the utility co's to come out and check for lines, and mark them.

If you are using treated posts, get some spray undrcoating at the auto parts and coat whatever will be underground + 3-4 ins above ground line.

Since you are dealing with a slope, you will have little spaces on the downhill side, using 8'posts and cementing them, you can probably go 2' if the post is not going totally to the top, otherwise sink 18", and cut off any excess at the top.

Start with a corner post and do 1 panel in each direction, set up a string line to keep it straight. You can get some white 2x4's to make props. Then just move along 1 post at a time, lay your panel on the ground to get your hole locationm dig your hole, set in your 4x4, attach your panel, brace, repeat.

You can do all your cement at one time. If you are using the pre-mix stuff, all in one ready to go, you only actually need a little over a gallon of water per bag. If your soil is dry, line your hole with a kitchen garbage bag, that way you don't loose water to the adjacent soil.

Building a fence requires patience and is just repetitive post/panel/post.

The last panel section fence I built was a total of about 500 ft on 3 sides. Took the better part of a week - evenings and 1 weekend. Had an old fashioned hand held digger, level, batt power screwdriver, and string line.

Good luck with your fence, just think of ALL the goodies you can get for the truck with the $3,500 you save!!!

CD

Quick Reply: Anybody know anything about putting up a fence??