Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anybody ever use a 'Jerk strap'?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody ever use a 'Jerk strap'?

Or at least that's what I've always heard em called. It looks like a normal tow strap, but works like a big rubber band from what I understand.

Here's what I'm talkin' bout Willis.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...002398/c-10101

Anybody tell me if they're Great, Good, or Horrible?

Thanks for the help!
Old 06-28-2007, 04:27 AM

I have one of those that we use in the sand dunes when people get stuck. they look like a normal recovery strap but act like a rubber band (as you stated) they work really well. I have pulled out rigs with 14,000 lb 5th wheels behind them. I have never had one snap but mine is rated for 60,000 lbs. all in all I'm happy with it.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there good if you have a heavy truck stuck and a light truck to pull it out. we used a 4cyl jeep on 33in swampers to pull out a ext-cab long bed f-250 diesel tire changing truck that the 4x4 went out when stuck in the mud (truck probably 2.5 times the weight of the jeep). worked like a charm got probably 5 to 10 feet slack and let her rip! i would jut make sure and get the biggest one for our heavy trucks!
Old 06-28-2007, 06:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The ones that I used years ago were large diameter ropes that stretched out and then pulled the stuck vehicle free. We were using them to pull Ford 9000 twin-screw trucks out of the mud and I can tell you that when one of those ropes break, it'll take out the grill and radiator on the stuck truck and will wipe the frame clean on the pulling truck - license, lights, mudflaps were all gone. If you don't break them, they work great.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:53 AM
Registered

we had a rope that was as big around as your arm, that acted like a giant rubber band. we pulled out countless trucks and tractors with that thing. i remember dad pulled out a loaded semi in the mud with a 3/4 ton pickup. its all in how hard you hit it

and to go with what 12valve@heart, dad was on our 2355 open cab john deere trying to pull out a stuck feed truck. i believe it was just a twin screw but he hit that rope wide open and it snapped and knocked dad out. liked to killed him
Old 06-28-2007, 08:29 AM

I have a couple of different ones, they work great, pulled out my dads RV that he buried in the sand on the first tug
Old 06-28-2007, 11:14 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
They are really great. I've had one for years. You can pull a heavier truck out, or back up onto the road with a much lighter truck. And they won't damage the trucks. Great thing to carry.

John
Old 06-28-2007, 11:25 AM

They are great, i've used a few in the past, just make sure you get one with a very sufficient rating! as with anything of course.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:34 PM

Always, always, always, put a weight bag on the rope or strap your using. I use 2 or 3 if I can, even a spare jacket or sweatshirt will make the strap drop a lot faster than without one, its cheap and makes things much safer.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:51 PM

they work great,just be sure what you use to hook them up can handle the load. A frienf of mine was pulling a fuel truck out of a snow bank,when the tow hook on the fuel truck broke.The hook hit his tailgate hard enough,that it about went all the way through.I hate to think what the outcome would have b een if it had went through the rear window.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:23 PM

Lightbulb

They can be very dangerous when they break because of the amount of stored energy in them. In industry they are not allowed period due to fatalities involved in using them Soooo IMHO I would never use them myself. Just because it may seem easier to pull out a truck, does not make it safe. Besides with a diesel you should have plenty of torque to do it safely with a chain or wire sling ... and they won't kill you or damage equipment if they break
Old 06-29-2007, 02:15 AM

Excellent! Thanks everybody. I appreciate the help, looks like Ol' J.C. is gonna get some more of my hard earned dollars.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:01 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As Cold said, they can be dangerous. But he's missing the point. It's not about torque, it's about momentum. Many times you do not have the traction or the weight or the right angle to get someone out by simply pulling. In those cases, like getting a truck back up onto the road that is down in a snow bank and the road is icy, you can easily and quickly get them out with a tug-em strap. The strap should be in good condition, hooked properly and be the right size for your truck. Some care is needed as you don't try to get up all the speed you can, just enough to get them moving. Using a chain in a situation like that will lead to a lot of damage and far less effective pulling force. I love mine and have used it very effectively over the years. But I also carry a chain. Both are parts of my normal winter gear, along with shackles, rope, tools etc. Each has their place and each will do what the others can't.

All tools require some common sense and all tools are potentially dangerous. I'm not going to leave an important tool at home because someone else decided it was dangerous. When someone has slid off the road in the winter, that is dangerous, and they need to get out of that situation ASAP. Now imagine if the only tool that will help me recover them is at home. Left there because I was told it was dangerous. OK, now what?

Get the strap and use it wisely.

John
Old 06-30-2007, 11:49 AM

I've used 'em several times as well, but I second the weight bag / cover precaution.