Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anybody been to Fort McMurray, AB, CA?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody been to Fort McMurray, AB, CA?

I may be headed there for work in the next few months. I work for a company that makes equipment used in refineries, and we're going to install some things in the relatively near future. When is a good time to visit? What is there to do up there, other than drive around and look at the awesome scenery? Is Fort Mac in the Canadian Rockies?

Thanks,

John
Old 03-29-2006, 08:11 AM
JKM

Fort McMurray is in the north east part of AB (roughly) I don't think it is in the rockeys , but it shouldn't be too far off.

I personally have not been there YET. I could sit here and probably count off at least 40 people i know who now work there (it is more commonly referred to as For McMoney).

There is absolutly NO end of jobs there , and i would guess that it can actually be somewhat crowded there, due to the massive influx of people. I have heard rumours that housing can be relatively hard (and very expensive) to get.

As far as things to do , there is going to be some awsome scenery , but night life... i have absolutly no idea. I would guess that with the amount of people in the area , there has to be LOTS to do.

If i can be of any more help , just ask me. There are also several AB DTR members floating around here, Scotty , Dr.Evil , and Lil Dog come to mind right away.
Old 03-29-2006, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fort Mac is about 275 miles north east of Edmonton. It's not in the Rockies. I haven't been there but it's booming. I've heard there's no McDonalds there anymore because they can't find any kids to work for under $15/hr. As far as things to do, check here Fort Mac. Have fun up there and enjoy all the $ you're going to make.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:36 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Fort Mac is not quite rockies country for sure. Its more like.... A Swamp.

I am not slagging on Fort Mac in general, there are some good people there, and there is good coin to be made. Been there, Done that, don't want the T-shirt.

The oilsands extraction process is quite interesting, but beyond that, not much going on.

However, if you can get some time away at either end, drive on down through northern / central alberta, and get over to jasper and banff, excellent scenery, lots of wildlife etc. Be careful on the highway between edmonton and Fort Mac however, lots of vehicle related deaths on that stretch of road every year.

Good luck with the contract, hope it all works out well.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by pind
Fort Mac is not quite rockies country for sure. Its more like.... A Swamp.

I am not slagging on Fort Mac in general, there are some good people there, and there is good coin to be made. Been there, Done that, don't want the T-shirt.

The oilsands extraction process is quite interesting, but beyond that, not much going on.

However, if you can get some time away at either end, drive on down through northern / central alberta, and get over to jasper and banff, excellent scenery, lots of wildlife etc. Be careful on the highway between edmonton and Fort Mac however, lots of vehicle related deaths on that stretch of road every year.

Good luck with the contract, hope it all works out well.
In addition: Fort McMurray does have a McDonalds (among all other amenities found anywhere else), although I would never eat their so called food, they do have to pay large to get people to work. Realestate is stupidly expensive as with everything else - typical for an oilfield town, just enhanced more than others. Lots of outdoor activities/beautiful country out of town - take your quad, but make sure it's locked up even if only unattended for five minutes or on the back of a pickup - ANYTHING not locked down WILL disappear. The city is dirty because of all the vehicles moving in and out of the bush and plant sites. Travel during rush hour is insane, which is most of the day except for the hours between midnight and 0430. Travel on Hwy 63 between Boyle and Fort McMurray is like the Indy 500 - it was mentioned lots of vehicular collision deaths - the average is 1 every two weeks - more frequent in winter months.

Now for the good stuff. McMurray has been dubbed the highest HIV rate in Canada (see rest of paragragh - lots of transient workers) - stay away from the nasties. It has also been dubbed as one of the highest liquor and drug abuse centres in Canada. Municipality has been trying to clean up the image, but it is a battle as anywhere else in North America.

Now, if you're going only to work, make money and leave, it's one of the best places to do that. I for one, would never even think of settling down there.

JMHO through personal experience in visiting/work and several close friends and aquaintances that have, or still work up there.

Any other questions? Just ask! I used to haul chemicals up to the plants when I was still driving truck.
Old 03-29-2006, 12:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Festus
In addition: Fort McMurray does have a McDonalds
I got sucked in to an Urban Myth. Go figure....
I did read in McClean's that Quizno's has to routinely shut it's doors for a day when people don't show up for work because they found a better paying job. So if you go, TAKE FOOD!!
Old 03-29-2006, 01:01 PM

I'll only be there for a week or so, installing some equipment on a field trial basis - trying to get some real world data outside our lab. Since the company is footing the bill, are there any particularly good hotels to look at or places to eat?
Old 03-29-2006, 03:58 PM
Chapter President

It's funny to find this, cause I was just about to ask the same Question. I work in the oil transport side of things and was just solicited by a KBR(Kellog Brown&Root) recruiter to go there and work yesterday. I read up on it and said to him "I'll think on it". It's cool to see a modern day goldrush type town unfold in front of our eyes. That whole area fits the mold perfectly. It's like seeing history in the making. You allways got to read about the wild days all those old towns went through, the bust, then ghost town, but never get to see one and very rarely do they survive.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by besserheimerpha
I'll only be there for a week or so, installing some equipment on a field trial basis - trying to get some real world data outside our lab. Since the company is footing the bill, are there any particularly good hotels to look at or places to eat?

It's been a year or so since I've been up there. Look for a recently built hotel - it likely hasn't been ordaned with tonnes of muddy boots, etc. Most of the Super 8's I stay in around Alberta and BC are fairly nice - continental breakfast too. I've stayed at the Sawridge in Fort McMurray and it's alright.

Montana's is a good place for food (ribs, steak, pasta) in Fort McMurray. There are a bunch of others too - the names have slipped my mind right now. Talk to the ladies at the front desk of the hotel - they often given coupons for discounts at certain restaurants also.