Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Any V-twin mechanics here

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any V-twin mechanics here

I have an Ultima pro-street bike. It has an 113 cu. in Ultima engine (based on the Evo). I had to replace a rocker box as one had some threads strip on the rocker cover, they are S&S style boxes. I replaced the rocker box today, before doing so I set the rear cylinder at TDC then pulled the box. I replaced the box and fired it up, the rear cylinder would not fire. It has spark but is not getting fuel or I guess it is not, ran before I did this anyway. I thought by having the cylinder at TDC I could put the rockers back in and just torque everything down to the spec's and the lifters would be the same position they were when I took it apart. I'm at a loss.

I now have it apart again and before I put it back together would like to know a couple other things. The gaskets that came with the rocker boxes have a bead of a silicone type substance on one side of the gasket, does that go against the head or against the rocker box. Second, just to make sure the push rods, one is slightly shorter than the other and I assume it goes in the front tube and the longer one goes in the rear tube. They are both at the same height this way at TDC.

Any help appreciated
Old 11-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Chapter President

The bead of silicon goes up. Second I would recommend getting some adjustable pushrods. If not the shorter ones do go to the intake side. Make sure you have the pushrods in the "pockets" in the rockers. If you get them off a little they will compress the lifter and leave the valve open all the time. It should not matter with fixed pushrods what position they are removed they will go back to their position. TDC is not a factor. Let me know if you need anything else. The bike in my avitar has been torn down multiple times
Old 11-03-2008, 06:55 PM

I sent you a PM. Here is a picture of mine (piece-o-crap).
Attached Thumbnails Any V-twin mechanics here-dscf0026.jpg  
Old 11-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Chapter President

Looks pretty nice to me.