Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Any Ropers out there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 09:38 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by Top
Man don't I know it!

Last time I was on a horse, I got thrown and my foot was hung in the stirrup I was dragged around and around, till my quarter finally ran out

So embarrasing all those folks going in and out of the market just watching me like that
You did that more then once...I saw you at Walmart hangin off the horse out front and once dangling/grinning off that horse on the kids Merry Go Round at the fair.

Its nice to know that the therapy has started to help you out some.

Old 03-29-2004, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Scotty
Rod is a

GOAT ROPER EXTRAORDINAIRE!!!!

Scotty, I thought Rod was partial to SHEEP....I dont know what to believe now.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:50 PM

Ive been known to turn a few steers. Far fewer than I would like . Ive been tryin to get goin for quite a few years now but it seems like I dont have a spare minute. Im too busy with: the truck, school (Tarleton State actually), girlfriend (who Im teaching to heal for me), my riding longhorns, work, etc... I have the horse here at the house (among 50 others), along with the arena but no cattle (to rope at least) and not good enough chutes.
Peanut, look me up when you get down here to Stephenville. Just look for the big blue truck with STACKs and a honkin' grill gaurd. Ill show ya around and give ya a little ride . Maybe we can get together and turn a few sometime.
Scott
Old 03-30-2004, 07:37 AM

Originally posted by crobtex
Palmetto_kid,

I bred him a few times, and ...........
whooaaaa.........too much information.....lol

Originally posted by crobtex
Palmetto_kid,

How good a horse are you riding? A good pony can make handling much, much easier.
and a good rider can make a bad horse look good. sometimes...lol Im riding 2 young mares right now. One is 4 and the other is 7. The seven year old was given to us by a friend that never did anything with her. WE broke her at 5, rode her hard for 6 months, and she got put on the back burner for awhile. Im trying to leg her up for my wife to start riding. Thats all this little mare needs is a little attention.

The 4 year old we raised from birth. She will stay in your back pocket if you let her. Both are quarter horses. Wouldnt have anything else!!!

I have been on back of a horse all my life. We keep about 150 head of cattle, and do all of our work on horseback with dogs. We have 3 good dogs, and pen 50 at a time with 3 horses. (we keep them groups of 50). I learned to rope in the pasture. I roped cows in open pasture way before I ever thought of roping a steer. ( which is a task, 'cause you gotta rope them quick before they hit the woods. Once they hit the woods, theyre gone!)

this is good reading....except for all the goat stuff.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:03 AM

My horses are trained to break like a ropin horse, but they dont stop after 20 yards, they usually go to around 350yds or maybe even up to 880 or until we slow them down. They dont like anyone in front of them though, or so I would LIKE to think. It works out better for me when they get to the line first.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:09 AM

Rich Skelton is my neighbor, does that count?
Old 03-30-2004, 10:45 AM

Baxter Black's "Header or Heeler" comes to mind.......
Old 03-30-2004, 11:40 AM

Mules are the way to go nothing better to get you into and back from some of the most beautiful country anyone could ever see. Spend 5-6 days on a pack trip with no phones or radios and plenty of adult beverages it does not get any better than that.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:55 AM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do Goats count?
Old 03-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Evil
Scotty, I thought Rod was partial to SHEEP....I dont know what to believe now.
Uhhh we all REALLY know its sheep not goats.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:47 PM

I cant top erics neighbor. But, who can these days? I have roped a few. I'm a wheel man myself. Been to IFR one year, finished eighth in this "world" standings. Runnerup rookie of the year. Central Region Champion(IPRA) once. Finals Champion once. Great Lakes qualifier. Lots of US ropin's and open rodeo's/jackpots. I've slowed down the last three years or so. My daughter has my good horse(bred at A&M)Roanie. She got a rodeo scholarship-breakaway, heading and goats, and needed a good ride worse than I did at the time.
Old 03-30-2004, 06:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Top: We hauled wildhorses for the BLM, but you had to catch 'em first. It's the catchin' that's the hard part. After getting dragged for about a hundred yards, I turned loose of the rope and I haven't seen either one since!

Originally posted by Horse Hauler
Mules are the way to go nothing better to get you into and back from some of the most beautiful country anyone could ever see. Spend 5-6 days on a pack trip with no phones or radios and plenty of adult beverages it does not get any better than that.
I quit riding horses and went back to mules. Much safer and more surefooted especially in those rugged canyons. We'll be going back West for another two week pack trip this Fall, if fuel prices don't get crazy.
Old 03-30-2004, 11:56 PM

Rich aint my neighbor, but I do have an open invitation to rope with Martin Lucero. I have been good friends with Martins bro in law for many years and have done so many favors for Martin that he kinda ows me .
Scott