Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Any home brewer's out there??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 08:52 AM
I think I can... I think...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madhat
Man, this thread is making me thirsty... smack, smack, smack...

I wanted to do something like this a while back, but I just don't have the time to devote to it. That, and I usually go through a full keg every 2.5-3 weeks, I don't think I could keep up...
Yea you'd need Springer's setup for sure.
Or just drink the home brew as a special treat!!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bswope
Springer thanks for that info man!!
Ok here is a question... we dont drink our tap water and never had is tested we get out water delivered to us in those 5gal plastic jugs (look like carboys)
would that water be good to use?
We get it from here.....http://www.roaringspringwater.com/rs..._main?OpenForm
they would most likely give you a water report . As long as the water tastes good no reason you can't use it in beer. Some waters are harder than others so they tend to taste different . If they wont give you a report then a Ward report is around 20 $ .
Now really I just made the suggestion to go with a darker on your first because sometimes people get discouraged with their first one specially something like a IPA . Darker beers have more flavors and body so it masks any off flavors . The #1 thing I can say is temperature control during fermentation showed the most benefit with my beers. I tend to keep them on the low side of the range for the yeast I am using.Yeast produce heat while fermenting so the beer will be warmer than the air temps. The swamp cooler is the easiest way to keep the beer cool as water draws heat off much better than air . All I do is change out those water bottles with frozen ones to keep it in the low 60's and i always keep the beer covered with a towel light isn't good for beer thats what skunks it
Name:  swamp.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  49.3 KB

Originally Posted by capt.Ron
I would be willing to bet that your bottled water would be ok to use. Of course often times those so called "Spring Water" vendors are just selling surface water but even then if boiled it'll be safe. Might give an off flavor but I digress to Springer's opinion.
I agree it will make good beer. I am just a little Geeky when it come to beer and want to control every aspect.

Originally Posted by madhat
Man, this thread is making me thirsty... smack, smack, smack...

I wanted to do something like this a while back, but I just don't have the time to devote to it. That, and I usually go through a full keg every 2.5-3 weeks, I don't think I could keep up...
I still buy commercial micro brew beer. But I always have 10-20 gallons at some stage in production . This weekend I am doing a Northern English mild brown .
Old 04-27-2010, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Springer
This weekend I am doing a Northern English mild brown .
MMMMMM Yummy!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:22 PM

Think I may try a Nut Brown for my first brew.... my brewing kit should be here tomorrow but im busy this weekend so maybe the next week Ill be able to start my brew! CANT WAIT!!!!!!

Springer your makin me THIRSTY brother!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 07:41 PM

Think I may try a Nut Brown for my first brew.... my brewing kit should be here tomorrow but im busy this weekend so maybe the next week Ill be able to start my brew! CANT WAIT!!!!!!

Good choice!!!
I love every Nut Brown ale I've tasted....Home brew or otherwise.
Old 04-28-2010, 01:29 PM

Glad your getting into it . One thing though don't use the time frame they give . They will tell after one week secondary/bottle your brew don't. Let the beer sit on the yeast for 2 weeks this will let the yeast clean up after themselves and will also clear the beer nicely then you can secondary/bottle. I let mine go anywhere from 3-4 weeks then off to keg . i dont secondary any of my beers.

I just tapped a Belgian triple last night .. 9-10% alcohol I took pictures because my son did the tap handle for me and I sent them to him. Two pints and I was getting a good buzz so I had to stop even though I didn't care too

Name:  pour.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  45.1 KB

Name:  pour1.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  43.1 KB
Old 04-28-2010, 04:07 PM

Springer im sure ill have more questions once i get started but you have given some great info and for that I thank you very much!!!

Hey you wouldnt happen to live any where near Pulaski, Ny would ya?
Old 04-28-2010, 05:26 PM

Glad your getting into it . One thing though don't use the time frame they give . They will tell after one week secondary/bottle your brew don't. Let the beer sit on the yeast for 2 weeks this will let the yeast clean up after themselves and will also clear the beer nicely then you can secondary/bottle. I let mine go anywhere from 3-4 weeks then off to keg . i dont secondary any of my beers.

I just tapped a Belgian triple last night .. 9-10% alcohol I took pictures because my son did the tap handle for me and I sent them to him. Two pints and I was getting a good buzz so I had to stop even though I didn't care too

Did you use anything to clear that or did it just clear that way over time?
Old 04-29-2010, 11:05 AM

Springer im sure ill have more questions once i get started but you have given some great info and for that I thank you very much!!!

Hey you wouldnt happen to live any where near Pulaski, Ny would ya?
I live in the Mid Hudson region . I have been up that way for Salmon fishing Liberty NY

Originally Posted by capt.Ron
Did you use anything to clear that or did it just clear that way over time?
I use Whirifloc the last 15 minutes of the boil just super irish moss . I also cold crash at 33° for 3-5 days before racking to the kegs to help settle out everything. If A beer isn't clear enough I will use unflavored Knox gelatin during the crash. This one came out that clear with just the Whirlfloc and cold crash .
Old 05-02-2010, 06:25 PM

I
live in the Mid Hudson region . I have been up that way for Salmon fishing Liberty NY

I use Whirifloc the last 15 minutes of the boil just super irish moss . I also cold crash at 33° for 3-5 days before racking to the kegs to help settle out everything. If A beer isn't clear enough I will use unflavored Knox gelatin during the crash. This one came out that clear with just the Whirlfloc and cold crash .
Thats the same reason I go to Pulaski every October.... Salmon fishing and to chase those STEELIES!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:08 PM

[QUOTE=Springer;2755693]they would most likely give you a water report . As long as the water tastes good no reason you can't use it in beer. Some waters are harder than others so they tend to taste different . If they wont give you a report then a Ward report is around 20 $ .
Now really I just made the suggestion to go with a darker on your first because sometimes people get discouraged with their first one specially something like a IPA . Darker beers have more flavors and body so it masks any off flavors . The #1 thing I can say is temperature control during fermentation showed the most benefit with my beers. I tend to keep them on the low side of the range for the yeast I am using.Yeast produce heat while fermenting so the beer will be warmer than the air temps. The swamp cooler is the easiest way to keep the beer cool as water draws heat off much better than air . All I do is change out those water bottles with frozen ones to keep it in the low 60's and i always keep the beer covered with a towel light isn't good for beer thats what skunks it
Name:  swamp.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  49.3 KB

Do you use vodka or water in your airlock, which by the way is a pretty good looking one. I know some guys will only use alcohol in theirs because it keeps the bacteria out, but some say they never have a problem using water. Just wondering what everyone here does.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:01 PM

Do you use vodka or water in your airlock, which by the way is a pretty good looking one. I know some guys will only use alcohol in theirs because it keeps the bacteria out, but some say they never have a problem using water. Just wondering what everyone here does.
I use cheep vodka in the air locks no big deal if you have a suck back . In the blowoff like in the picture I will use the sanitizer. Really it just to keep it from getting stagnant .
Old 11-21-2012, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Time to resurrect this thread... I have been brewing for 2 years now - almost all kits except for the last batch I brewed. It was the Whitehouse Honey Porter that just finished.

That one, I had to crush my own grains with a hand grinder...

Well, I got an early Christmas present and now have a two tap kegerator which allows me to keg my home brew! So the first batch is the Whitehouse Honey Porter and it is great. The only problem is now I have so many other recipes I want to try - although I have plenty of folks offering to sample and taste test the end products .

Springer - sounds like you have a great set-up. A true fermentation chamber is next on my list of have to haves. May have to discuss with the wife since Christmas is not yet upon us. Wish me luck.

Any home brewer's out there??-wp_000148.jpg

Any home brewer's out there??-wp_000109.jpg
Old 11-21-2012, 07:21 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
That looks really good!!

Happy Thanksgiving.