Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Any help writing a Eulogy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 08:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Any help writing a Eulogy?

My Dad asked me to write one for my Grandmother, said he and the other siblings would be too tore up to speak.

My Uncle did one for my Aunt few years back; he just preached a good ole Sunday morning Sermon, figuring that was the only time most her people would ever hear the Gospel. I don’t think that totally applies in this situation

Got any verses/pointers? I just want to get it ready, may not need it for while, but never know. She went to ER this week, spent weekend in house where folks were smoking, almost done her in.
Old 12-28-2005, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, if you believe she made it to heaven then tell the folks what took for her to get there. Nothing fancy just the facts. John 3:16 is a good start.

Sharing fond memories is always good as long as they don't drag on too much.

I've always felt the service was for the attendees not the deceased. Folks like to come, one last time, and say goodbye. Give 'em a chance to speak, to walk by the casket, pause, and say their goodbye.

Another fun thing to talk about is her past, where she came from, what she did with her life. Everyone has a story, you can tell some of her's, especially the humorous things.

It's never a fun time but it can be a great time to honor her. And if the tears come, so be it, no shame in that.
Old 12-28-2005, 10:08 PM

I have no quams with sharing the gospel at a funeral/memorial service, but, it can border on badgering (for those not yet receptive) if not done properly. They come to remember and say good-by, not to be thumped. If possible share it in context, ie. a story about her youth, marriage, her source of strenght in the passing of relitives, ect.

All of the things grantx5 suggested are very good as well.

You have my sympathy for the hard times ahead (however far off it is).

Randy
Old 12-28-2005, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, I think grantx5 summed it up real well. REAL good advice there!

chaikwa.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:34 AM
Banned

Psalms 37 is comforting, but not overly preachy... If there will be people there that don't want to hear a sermon, but you want to use a few scriptures, a few verse from Psalms usually won't upset anyone.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:23 PM

Actually, I gave a woman a little poem, who's mother was dying, that I believe could easily be used in a service. Look up "The Dash" using Google.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:26 PM

Make it uplifting....Too many preachers, etc. try to make things sad, somber, etc...Sure it is a solemn occasion, but what families need in those times is stregnth, happiness, and peace...Whats wrong withmaking people smile??
Old 12-29-2005, 08:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't know your grandmother, but I can tell you that nearly anyone who makes into the golden years is glad for the chance to have lived that long! Life has a begining, middle, and end. There is no reason to be sad for anyone who has lived a full life. Tell everyone; "You get one good cry, till noon then put away the tissues. Grandma would say enough already. If your grandma had any "spunk" let everyone know she is not happy everyone is making such a fuss. "I'm 78 for God's sake, what did you expect? Me to get younger?" Excentuate the good things about your grandma's life. Did she cook? Did she sew? watch TV? What were her interests? She was a woman growing up in the early years. It was her generation (the Greatest generation) that sacraficed for us to live free today. She was a mother of your father. She passed down strenght, pride, courage, family values, and citizenship to you.

Now for alittle humor.....
You can say things like her beauty skipped a generation (your father) and your siblings and you got it all.
If she were here she would say....(insert something she was known for. Your dad can help if you get stuck)
You are not doing a Vegas show, but believe me everyone will greatly appreciate a little family humor, and tension breaker.

What you want to tell her is closing is.."Thanks Grandma." You did good. or "Mission Accomplished". Reps or Dems will get a chuckle out of that!
Old 12-30-2005, 09:42 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Recollection of some fond memories and some humor is nice.

I was asked to do that for a good friend of mine.
It was tough at the start. He was cremated and there was his urn and his favorite pool cue leaning against it.
As I was telling how he was such a great friend and how he always helped his family I paused, looked over at his Urn and then looked at his family and said;
"Thats the quietest Bob had been in a long time." Everyone cracked up.
Knowing Bob meant you knew he was very loud and outspoken.
I thanked his parents for him as a friend too.

I quoted a poem he liked...If I can remember who wrote it now.
The World is Too Much With Us...something like that...maybe a Carl Sandburg.

Did your Grandma have a favorite poem or words from the Bible?

You will do just fine.

Scotty