Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Any Gamers in Here?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by marine4life
i've seen the graphics of the ps3, not impressed. and i have to say that the craftmanships of the sony's last system, ps2, was horrible. i went through three, all broke right out of the warranty. the only reason i kept getting one was for final fantasy and gran turismo, and final fantasy is on the box now, no need for it. graphically, both are great system, but the xbox will cost less by then, have more games, and have the quirks already worked out of the live service. and the ps3 is schedule for release this christmas season. and the 360 is"the new xbox" and my computer has dual 6800 ultra's running on a 21 inch viewsonic crt. i play call of duty on both, and yes, the xbox running on high def looks better. you must have a crappy tv. and yes i guess we all have our preferences.
Ok, #1 the TV i use is a 55" Mitsu with a DVI input. If you use the 360 on a small TV it looks amazing but as soon as you hook it up to a large screen its quality goes down the tube. Why do you guys like the 360 so much? If you've seen the ps3 graphics in person it was a beta system that is nothing like the version that will be released. you can't compare a 21" crt 4:3 display with a 16:9 display uless it about 24" or below. The reason the xbox looks better than dual 6800's is because the technology is newer than even the 1900 that ATI just came out with. In MY OPINION I would rather use a computer to play FPS games like COD. #2, Why did you buy COD2 for computer and xbox? And where did you see the ps3 in person?

EDIT: I just read a few articles on this very subject. Both said the 360 will be easier to develop games for, but it won't necessarily be "better" or worse than the ps3. The reason it is easier to develop for is the ps3 uses a new kind of processor that does not exist in modern computers. It's technology is not the same as the 360(the 360 is just a computer made specifically for video games.) Apparently, there is now way to compare them since developers haven't even gotten a chance to see what the ps3 can really do. If you say teh ps3 graphics and were unimpressed, it's because of the development. According to the articles, they will both be awsome, just different. The way they handle processing is not the same and neither is their graphics chips. The ps3 is geared toward "physics processing" than allout performance. Really each system will be for anybody, just depends on preferance.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:33 AM

Hello, my name is BigBlueDodge, and I am a gamer......

Up until December of last year I was a 100% PC gamer. I really love real time strategy games (Age of Empires, Age of Mythology, Rome, Act of War). However, I got tired of the never ending cycle of buying new hardware to keep up with the latest and greatest games. So I decided I was gonna switch to the console world. Picked up a XBox 360 for the price of a high end video card when they were first released and I've never looked at another PC game since.

Evidently PanteraGSTK doesn't own a 360, because I have mine hooked up to a 65" Mitsubishi using Y-Pb-Pr component running at 1080i and it looks AMAZING. So I'm not sure what he's seen.

If you are buying a gaming console just because of the hardware specs, then the forthcoming PS3 is your machine. Sony is doing what Microsoft did with the original XBox. Come late to the game, but with a machine that has the most powerfull hardware. While it helped with the original XBox, Microsoft quickly learned that it wasn't about the hardware, it was about the game support. Gamers buy games, not hardware. Also, because of the high end hardware, Microsoft had to subsidize each XBox so the cost would affordable. The negative aspect, was that selling XBox's actually hurt Microsoft's revenues. The money was being made in the games.

Now, in the latest gen of consoles, things have flip flopped. Microsoft decided to forego the hardware route, and opt to be the first one out with their console. By the time the PS3 hits the shelfs, the Microsoft is planning on having sold 5-6 million XBox 360's. Also, Microsoft is saving the release of Halo 3 for the 360 to coincide with the release of the PS3.

Don't believe all the numbers that Sony is throwing out. While it appears that the PS3 will be magnitudes faster than the 360, its not as much as you think. Sony has published specs that show processing power of the PS3 and they were 2x the specs that Microsoft published for the 360. While it looked great on paper, what Sony didn't tell you was that they combined the specs for the processors and GPU together, while the XBox was only the processors. When the numbers for the XBox 360's processors and GPU where combined, that 2x difference in processing power dropped significantly.

Will the PS3 be the fastest console out there? Yes, I have no doubt. Being fast doesn't come cheap, and I expect Sony to lose money on each console sold. It will be difficult for them to compete on price with the other consoles. However, you'll have to wait until the 2006 Christmas season to find any of this out, because the PS3 isn't ready and is being delayed from the mid summer timeframe to the holiday season. In the mean time I'm gonna enjoy my 360 and the excellent games that it delivers today. XBox Live is a work of art and really brings the gaming experience to a new level. Sony basically doesn't have an online setup that is even close to what the XBox has. They need to really bolster this with the release of the PS3.

Oh, and it wouldn't surprise me to see Microsoft drop the price on the 360 when the PS3 comes out.
Old 04-15-2006, 04:21 AM

Wow I didn't expect to see so many gamers here. You guys would go into sensory overload if you spent a day in my office.

and where might that be?

www.gamespy.com