Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

any Dog/puppy training sites?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 06:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
any Dog/puppy training sites?

what do you guys recommend?

trying to train up this puppy more better than our existing dog.

she has issues (VERY stubborn) but she has some GREAT qualities,

so I don't want to meddle with her too much.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
can you be a little more specific?

I have more than a bit of experience in this matter. What breed are we talking about here? What are you goals for this dog?
Old 05-03-2007, 04:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...=1#post1490693

papered bull mastiff mom, dad is BM and rottie mix.

we have one awesome guard dog - a Japanese Akita - but she is SO STUBBORN

i want him to stay & bark when told, we have an invisible fence, and have some strange folks walking the roads. the Akita is all about it, she KNOWs who to bark at and who not to.

but you can't get her to come to you, or stay.

any help is appreciated.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Probably the most important thing about having your dog come to you when called is to give the command once and make sure it comes. Give lots of praise and treats and make it seem like the pup has done the most fantastic thing imaginable. Start in a small area so you can catch it and make sure it comes. Once it knows the command and doesn't come, walk over, say no, and lead it to the spot you called it from and give lots of praise and/or treats. If you can't be absolutely sure you can get the dog to come or catch it, don't use your "come" command. Never call it and punish it for doing something wrong when it comes. Coming to you has to be enjoyable and absolutely safe in the dog's mind. Keep the training sessions short and fun for the dog.

I've got a couple of excellent books that I'll get the of titles later. There's lots of info on all the stages a puppy goes through and how to best deal with the situations so you end up with a well balanced dog.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:14 AM

http://cesarmillaninc.com/dogwhisperer/

I like this guy.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:50 AM

berner, good advice. I used a 100 foot 1/2 in flat nylon lead for years for training. That way I could always give an instant correction and praise. The one time command is excellent. I used German commands to make me think and to give the dog exact commands. I actuall did not use a heel command except for trial events and competition where the dumb rules required it. The dog knew whcih foot I started out on and keyed on that. I also used hand signals. How do you command a dog when you are trying to be stealthy in criminal apprehension??? Silent whistle works too. Bird dog guys use them.

Dogs do not know punishment in our terms. Only in terms of the pack leader. You must be the pack leader not the dog. Watch the dog whisperer. He is great at training people to train their dogs. Dogs are easy to train, people are crazy. Some should be put down.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I finally found one of the books I was looking for. It's called How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live with by Clarice Rutherford & David H. Neil. I have another good one but it's hiding somewhere in the midst of a major home reno. There's also a couple of books by the Monks of New Skete that are a bit controversial but work very well on dominant dogs. I'll try to find that other book this weekend.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:13 AM
DTR Mom

Wink Hey Chiefy!!!

AKC american kennel club site has the standards of canine good citizenship test. on the site, they still have a click list for trainers in a particular area for a good start at getting you someone who can help. easy site to navigate, not like a submarine...

this needs to have the physical presence of a trainer to instruct you and the dog together. like me watching CHAIKWA and his new lab puppy....
hopefuly you will do better than Scott, he wanted his belly rubbed just like Jake....that man cannot be trained...
Old 05-11-2007, 11:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mcoleman
x2
http://www.cesarmillaninc.com
Old 05-11-2007, 11:15 PM

www.leerburg.com

Guy really knows what he's talking about. Its geared toward protection dogs but could be adapted to any training situations.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by cameroneod
www.leerburg.com

Guy really knows what he's talking about. Its geared toward protection dogs but could be adapted to any training situations.

X2. That Leerburg guy is arguably the finest protection dog trainer and author in the country. I have many of his training tapes and books in my collection. His methods just flat-out work.

BTW, 04CTD, congrats on choosing a mastiff breed! They endear themselves more to you than anything else i have worked with. I have owned (and still do) several different mastiff types, they are great at intrinsically knowing when to react and how much force is necessary. I can direct you to some great websites if you want more info.

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this post, i somehow lost track of it
Old 06-25-2007, 07:37 PM

Ed is a wealth of knowledge, but he's also opinionated and closed-minded. Heck, I agree with most of the guy's methods, but no matter how much you know, there's always more to learn.

Check your local used book store for a copy of Bill Koehler's (sp?) dog-training books from back in the '50's or '60's. Nothing fancy, just old-school proven methods that work.

Chris
Old 06-26-2007, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by GO 4LO
Ed is a wealth of knowledge, but he's also opinionated and closed-minded. Heck, I agree with most of the guy's methods, but no matter how much you know, there's always more to learn.

Check your local used book store for a copy of Bill Koehler's (sp?) dog-training books from back in the '50's or '60's. Nothing fancy, just old-school proven methods that work.

Chris
yes, i have "The Koehler Method Of Guard Dog Training" sitting right next to my computer as we speak! LOL, he is another great author, i know the military used to use some of his methods...not sure if they still do.

Go 4 Lo, what kind of dogs do you have? I have a Cane Corso (Sicilian Mastiff)
Old 06-26-2007, 06:22 AM

Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, wasn't he the lead military trainer for awhile, too? On the back cover of the guard dog training book, it talks about it, I think...

I've got two American Bulldogs and a Neo. I like Corsos, too - got any pics?

Chris