Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Any computer gurus here?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 11:03 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Any computer gurus here?

I have a question about my linksys wireless router.

Right now (and for the last year or so) I have been using it unsecured. I would like to change the settings so only I, or friends, here at my house can use it. I belive it needs to be set up so you need to enter a password to actually get on the internet?? The linksys info I have that came with it says to enter the address for the router into my browser (I did that) and when prompted, enter the password to be able to change the settings. When I try the default password I get nothing. I tried several passwords that I use on other websites and nothing works. ( I don't remember ever entering a password and I have nothing written down any where )
Anybody have any ideas how to make this thing a secured wireless router or how to create a new password??
Old 04-21-2007, 06:03 AM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 04-21-2007, 06:30 AM

Rockcrawler, there should be a reset button located on the router somewhere. Hold that in for a few seconds and then it should reset everything back to the factory defaults. Then you can use the factory default password and set it up. My guess is that since every Linksys router in the world defaults to 192.168.1.1 that one of your neighbors is messing with you and changed the password.

Let me know if you would like some information about setting up a secure wireless environment.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by miker1982
Rockcrawler, there should be a reset button located on the router somewhere. Hold that in for a few seconds and then it should reset everything back to the factory defaults. Then you can use the factory default password and set it up. My guess is that since every Linksys router in the world defaults to 192.168.1.1 that one of your neighbors is messing with you and changed the password.

Let me know if you would like some information about setting up a secure wireless environment.
Thanks, the reset worked. I sent a PM to you on the help with making it a secure system.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:15 AM

I just did this last night....set up the network and everything else alright...but finally had to call in the big guns (tech support) at 02:00 to get the laptop to talk to the secured network.
Old 04-21-2007, 11:34 AM

I may need to do that. I don't see anywhere about the wireless devices (my lap top) needing to use a password or key number to access the wireless connection.

I set this up over a year ago but never really thought about making it a secure wireless system untill hearing of a, friend of a friend, kind of thing that had the cops show up because someone was caught using his internet to do illegal things. I now want to make sure nobody has access to my wireless connection!!!
Old 04-21-2007, 02:13 PM

Received 1,048 Likes on 770 Posts
Unsecured wireless network hotspots are a big problem. Why the manufacturers of these devices ship them unsecured by default is a mystery to me. They're just saving money by eliminating tech support calls.

There is a program called Netstumbler which can be used in a WiFi equipped laptop to do what is called Wardriving. These guys go driving around town with this program, a laptop and a GPS and they record the location of every WiFi hotspot they come close to. Then they can park in front of your house and use YOUR internet connection to DL music files and **** movies etc...

You could wind up being sued by the RIAA for illegal downloading of music or caught up in a child **** sting. There is even talk of prosecution of people who DON'T secure their WiFi's when it is used illegally.

Get it secured.

Edwin
Old 04-21-2007, 02:49 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Even if you have to pay someone to come over and show you how to do it, just do it. You will thank yourself for it in the long run. Like has been said before. An unsecured wireless network could spell big trouble if the wrong people start using your connection.
Old 04-21-2007, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
Even if you have to pay someone to come over and show you how to do it, just do it. You will thank yourself for it in the long run. Like has been said before. An unsecured wireless network could spell big trouble if the wrong people start using your connection.
Yes. Exactly. That is why I am trying to figure this out.
I got it to ask for a password, but when I type the password I set up, it will not connect. Just keeps saying "Aquiring network address" and stays that way.

EDIT:Looks like I got it to work!!
Old 04-21-2007, 09:17 PM

I use SSID broadcast disabled, changed channel, complex SSID name, WPA2-Enterprise w/ a dedicated RADIUS server, MAC filtering and time of day filtering (internet access disabled when im at work and sleeping)

You dont need to go that extreme though... Just a basic WPA key setup is enough to deter most.. Glad you got yours working!
Old 04-21-2007, 09:21 PM
DTR question asker

Or you could do it my way:

The firewall computer (DNS, DHCP, iptables firewall, etc). , the server (Apache2, MySQL, Squid Proxy, NFS, NTP, lots more), my main comp, upstairs comp, everything 100% Linux powered (minus the Mac).

Old 04-22-2007, 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
Yes. Exactly. That is why I am trying to figure this out.
I got it to ask for a password, but when I type the password I set up, it will not connect. Just keeps saying "Aquiring network address" and stays that way.

EDIT:Looks like I got it to work!!
Im pretty sure Linkys offers tech support. Give them a call - they will have you up and running in 15-20 minutes.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by dieselfuelonly
Or you could do it my way:

The firewall computer (DNS, DHCP, iptables firewall, etc). , the server (Apache2, MySQL, Squid Proxy, NFS, NTP, lots more), my main comp, upstairs comp, everything 100% Linux powered (minus the Mac).

WOW.

I did get it started. I am also going to do the time restrictions. I have been slowly messing with the different settings and available changes. I have renamed things and changed passwords. Using the WAP security stuff. I have to keep checking thing after changes cuz a few times I locked myself out and had to do the Reset thing and start over. I do feel a little more safer now though. Thanks for the help and replies guys!!
Old 04-22-2007, 10:28 PM

Glad to see that you got everything secure Rockcrawler. Sorry that I didn't respond I went into work on Saturday at 7:00 am to migrate a domain and didn't get out of there until 10:00 pm. A lot of unforeseen issues with the migration that delayed our progress, but then again without these issues I wouldn't have a job.

Let me know if you have any other issues.