Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Another reason not to drive the cummins through mud....(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 12:32 PM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

well said! no apologies to anyone, you know the land and the area. obviously , you know the truck habits too (theirs and yours!).

absolutely, solid lessons from the oil field/drill guys! in pristine areas I might add.

I forest log and have to be very selective (like a game of chess) on how I get there, process wood and leave. I do it, to continue to get the wood I need and the area isn't damaged. this is my own land. In New York state we do not have public lands. parks with restrictions and snowmobile trails with owner's deciding on a whim to close an area when one person becomes an idiot. I will let you know that most horse trails are few and far between due to the nature of shoes grooving the trails, requiring dozer action to flatten out the trails again. weird but true.

as a towing owner and operator, we did the 4 x4 recoveries. THANK YOU for getting your friend out safely! yup, hard to get a purchase in that stuff, you sure know what you are doing! did enjoy seeing the little black puff!
I know I sure felt good after a recovery.

hey, no offense to anyone, but even the pickup that ran off into the tudra in alaska (lots of pics on that) and was there for six months or so and had to be chainsawed out, only the footprint of the vehicle was left, moss covered.
nature is amazing......usually those who play in it, respect it.

good posts Fronty! have fun, Stovetop!
Old 06-26-2009, 03:49 PM

Yeah I'd rather a truck or ATV on my land than a horse, horses tear the heck out of the ground and cause major erosion.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:01 PM

back to the subject of the truck being stuck. next time you get in a situation like that with a truck stuck up to the frame i have a little advice. From the pictures you can see the strap almost at the ground on the stuck truck. When you pull like that you are trying to drag the stuck truck through the dirt behind him. Now for the advice. Take the biggest inflated tire you have and stick it close to the stuck truck. Run the strap over the tire and the hook it to the truck. Doing this provides more up an up and out action that is desired when a truck is sunk to the frame. Takes a little more time but is well worth it.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rednecktastic
Yeah I'd rather a truck or ATV on my land than a horse, horses tear the heck out of the ground and cause major erosion.
This is almost laughable.

I have never seen 25 horses repeatedly going through a mudhole purposely spiing their tires at 50 MPH throwing huge rooster tails of mud in the air, getting stuck and then winching themselves out on trees.

But, I do see the exact behaviour described by NUMEROUS ATV riders on the mountain trails where I like to ride my horse.

I've ridden hundreds of miles on horseback in some very remote trails in the mountains and out amongst the coulee land in the praries. Many of which a quad could never even get to.

I'll take you for a day riding pasture and you will essentially never know where my horse has been there but I garuntee you will see every quad track and the flattened grass.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:16 PM

chadwick that sounds like some good advice. I will have to give that a try next time. Thanks
Old 06-26-2009, 07:53 PM

yeah i have used it a couple times. You will be surprised at how simple but well it works. The closer the tire the better but you will have to stop and reposition it a couple times
Old 06-26-2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by tool

I have never seen 25 horses repeatedly going through a mudhole purposely spiing their tires at 50 MPH throwing huge rooster tails of mud in the air, getting stuck and then winching themselves out on trees.

But, I do see the exact behaviour described by NUMEROUS ATV riders on the mountain trails where I like to ride my horse.

I've ridden hundreds of miles on horseback in some very remote trails in the mountains and out amongst the coulee land in the praries. Many of which a quad could never even get to.

I'll take you for a day riding pasture and you will essentially never know where my horse has been there but I garuntee you will see every quad track and the flattened grass.
All I know is people have cut through my land on their horses and my road was literally destroyed because their hoofs tear out the top packed layer. The road washed out in some spots because of it. I've driven up that road countless times in my truck with mudtires and on my ATV sitting on outlaw mud tires and they don't cause near the damage horses cause.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:32 PM

Chadwick, how does the tire trick work when the ground is as wet/sloppy as that was? It seems like the tow strap would just sink the tire from the amount of force.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Stovetop535
Chadwick, how does the tire trick work when the ground is as wet/sloppy as that was? It seems like the tow strap would just sink the tire from the amount of force.
If the tire sinks you might as well call the heavy equipment out because that truck aint coming out.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:00 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by Stovetop535
the tire makes the tow strap pull up on the truck and out of the hole its buried in. I have seen it used in sand and some mud holes, but not in a generally swampy area...
Old 06-26-2009, 10:10 PM
DTR Mom

Wink

ya, same thought. not for the pics conditions.

don't y'all in texas only have sand and concrete? heheheh kidding.

for really swampy stuff, we used 'vietnam' tracks or long thin sheets of aluminum. like barn roofs now. the displacement physics....just jam against the tires in the direction of the pull.

still have to say- great pics and THANKS for sharing!
Old 06-26-2009, 10:57 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
ya, same thought. not for the pics conditions.

don't y'all in texas only have sand and concrete? heheheh kidding.

for really swampy stuff, we used 'vietnam' tracks or long thin sheets of aluminum. like barn roofs now. the displacement physics....just jam against the tires in the direction of the pull.

still have to say- great pics and THANKS for sharing!
Aint no replacement for displacement...

there are many techniques that work well.
for sand, burying a spare tire in the sand as an anchor point for winching works well.
for bottomless pits, you need something to bridge.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tool

I am one of those Quad guys. Unfortanatly the majorady of horse riders and hikers dont much like any of us and flat out dont wana share the trails with anyone but there own kind. Even if we are teh ones who created and maintain the trails. They want them for themselves. Funy thing is that a lot of the trails they are trying to close down or take over for there perpose where built buy either the Jeep groups or where old mining/loging roads that if not for the Jeeps/ATVS would not be maintained at all and would have grown over and disapered alltogether. I will admit that there are some young or irresponsible people on quads and Jeeps that ruin it for all of us. I personaly stay on the trail and you wont find me or anyone I ride with off in the middlel of a prarie ripping it up. If you consider knocking grass over destroying it then you need to go abck latter and look at it. Grass amazingly enough will poop back up shortly. I can understand the coment abought hoses causing damage to an extent but only to the same extent that an ATV will cause damage. If 1 horse goes over a wet spot 1 time the damage will be minimal but you may be able to see hoof marks in the mud, no long term damage worth mentioning. If 100 horses cross at the same place while its muddy then there will be significant damage, Ive seen it before but I dont go off half cocked telling everyone that horses are evil and should be baned from anywhere I see fit because somewhere some of them have caused damage to some dirt. Same holds true for ATVs. If I follow that horse threw the same mud or river crossing my tire tracks wont be any more significant than your horses trackes. Now if 100 more ATVs follow me then yes you will see a definate trail/rut in the mud. I can tell you from experiance that my ATV will float over softer ground with me on it than I can walk across and truthfully my feet will sink deeper into the mud than my tires will. I garontee that a horse that weighs several times more than an ATV will sink deeper into the soft ground then my ATV will. The PSI under a horses hoof has to be extreemly high compared to the ATV tire. If you figure there are 4 tires and mine are 12 inches wide and there is a contact pach aproxamtly 6 inches long. That comes out to just short of 300 square inches of ground contact. A ATV weighs 600 pounds plus driver. Thats a round 2PSI of ground presure. Now your horse weighs what?? For arguments sake I will guess 1500 pounds. Its hooves are what 6 inch diameter. when its walking its usaly on only 2 at a time. Thats 56 square inches of ground contact. Comes out to 26PSI. My point is that your horse is gona sink in ground and cause damage sooner than my ATV if we are both just cruising along and not deliberatly "spinning our tires 50 mph throwing huge roster tails of mud in the air". I dont condone ripping up public lands anymore than anyone else but to lump all people who would rather ride a Jeep or ATV into one group and say we all damage and wreck the trails is rediculos. I dont go bashing all horse riders saying that there pooping all over the nice clean enviroment and ruining it for all of time to come. No, your horses poop will adventualy disapere along with the hoofprints and our tire tracks.

Sory for the long winded, rambaling thoughts but this is a sore subject for a lot of us ATVers that practice the tread lightly and stay on the trail. We are loosing more and more very buitifull trails all over the country that a small handfull of idiouts have managed to ruin for the rest of us. The enviro nazies are reproducing in alarming rates. That combined with the small group of offroaders who do go where they dont belong and do damage pristien medows is making hard for the rest of us to have any fun.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:30 PM

sand and concrete hah. i wish we have a little of everything down here, thick black gumbo mud,cleche,clay, and any combination of those mixed with sand
sorry for the typo but i have never seen that word spelled
Old 06-27-2009, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by bkrukow
I am one of those Quad guys. Unfortanatly the majorady of horse riders and hikers dont much like any of us and flat out dont wana share the trails with anyone but there own kind. Even if we are teh ones who created and maintain the trails. They want them for themselves. Funy thing is that a lot of the trails they are trying to close down or take over for there perpose where built buy either the Jeep groups or where old mining/loging roads that if not for the Jeeps/ATVS would not be maintained at all and would have grown over and disapered alltogether. I will admit that there are some young or irresponsible people on quads and Jeeps that ruin it for all of us. I personaly stay on the trail and you wont find me or anyone I ride with off in the middlel of a prarie ripping it up. If you consider knocking grass over destroying it then you need to go abck latter and look at it. Grass amazingly enough will poop back up shortly. I can understand the coment abought hoses causing damage to an extent but only to the same extent that an ATV will cause damage. If 1 horse goes over a wet spot 1 time the damage will be minimal but you may be able to see hoof marks in the mud, no long term damage worth mentioning. If 100 horses cross at the same place while its muddy then there will be significant damage, Ive seen it before but I dont go off half cocked telling everyone that horses are evil and should be baned from anywhere I see fit because somewhere some of them have caused damage to some dirt. Same holds true for ATVs. If I follow that horse threw the same mud or river crossing my tire tracks wont be any more significant than your horses trackes. Now if 100 more ATVs follow me then yes you will see a definate trail/rut in the mud. I can tell you from experiance that my ATV will float over softer ground with me on it than I can walk across and truthfully my feet will sink deeper into the mud than my tires will. I garontee that a horse that weighs several times more than an ATV will sink deeper into the soft ground then my ATV will. The PSI under a horses hoof has to be extreemly high compared to the ATV tire. If you figure there are 4 tires and mine are 12 inches wide and there is a contact pach aproxamtly 6 inches long. That comes out to just short of 300 square inches of ground contact. A ATV weighs 600 pounds plus driver. Thats a round 2PSI of ground presure. Now your horse weighs what?? For arguments sake I will guess 1500 pounds. Its hooves are what 6 inch diameter. when its walking its usaly on only 2 at a time. Thats 56 square inches of ground contact. Comes out to 26PSI. My point is that your horse is gona sink in ground and cause damage sooner than my ATV if we are both just cruising along and not deliberatly "spinning our tires 50 mph throwing huge roster tails of mud in the air". I dont condone ripping up public lands anymore than anyone else but to lump all people who would rather ride a Jeep or ATV into one group and say we all damage and wreck the trails is rediculos. I dont go bashing all horse riders saying that there pooping all over the nice clean enviroment and ruining it for all of time to come. No, your horses poop will adventualy disapere along with the hoofprints and our tire tracks.

Sory for the long winded, rambaling thoughts but this is a sore subject for a lot of us ATVers that practice the tread lightly and stay on the trail. We are loosing more and more very buitifull trails all over the country that a small handfull of idiouts have managed to ruin for the rest of us. The enviro nazies are reproducing in alarming rates. That combined with the small group of offroaders who do go where they dont belong and do damage pristien medows is making hard for the rest of us to have any fun.

I couldn't agree with this more. The worst part is that they are "right of ways" that have been there for decades and now they build some yuppie neighborhood near by and they want to change it to a "nature preserve" or "hiking trail" or "horse trail". Put out nails and cables to potentally kill someone.

As far as the horses go I have a problem with them cutting across my land where I use to not say anything they have nearly destroyed my road because their hoofs cut down into the hard pack and it washes away. It tills it up and it's prone to washing away.

Anyway we are off topic. All I have to say is "TREAD LIGHTLY" yall!

Quick Reply: Another reason not to drive the cummins through mud....(pics)