Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Another reason not to drive the cummins through mud....(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another reason not to drive the cummins through mud....(pics)

I was talking to a buddy this morning that mentioned he had a friend with a truck that was stuck in the mountains about 20 miles from town. For the record the red truck is not mine and I have no idea what he was thinking when he decided to try and drive through there. Anyway, the truck had been stuck there for 3 days. One duramax had tried to pull him out along with a couple jeeps, and a 1500 dodge. The pictures below were after a few hours a day of shovelling for 3 days. The guys who were telling me about the truck that was stuck up there were saying it was not even worth our time to go up and try and pull it out. We were able to pull him out, after probably ten runs at it and snapping one strap. Never doubt the power of the cummins if you can keep it out of the nasty stuff.
Attached Thumbnails Another reason not to drive the cummins through mud....(pics)-01.jpg   Another reason not to drive the cummins through mud....(pics)-02.jpg   Another reason not to drive the cummins through mud....(pics)-03.jpg   Another reason not to drive the cummins through mud....(pics)-04.jpg   Another reason not to drive the cummins through mud....(pics)-05.jpg  

Old 06-25-2009, 11:06 PM

A few more pics.....one of the guys took a video. Ill post it if he ever sends it to me.
Attached Thumbnails Another reason not to drive the cummins through mud....(pics)-06.jpg   Another reason not to drive the cummins through mud....(pics)-07.jpg   Another reason not to drive the cummins through mud....(pics)-08.jpg   Another reason not to drive the cummins through mud....(pics)-09.jpg   Another reason not to drive the cummins through mud....(pics)-10.jpg  

Old 06-25-2009, 11:07 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Nice pic of the flying strap. Good timing on the camera shot.

He must have figured that speed would carry him through, because he definitely didn't have enough tire to get a bite on anything. Although that probably saved him from burying it so deep that it would have taken heavy machinery to yank him out.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thats a typical day in the oil field in the spring and early fall.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:22 PM

Haha Stover that is an awesome picture of you and I just staring at each other. Today was awesome I am sure glad you have a built tranny. I wish there were Pictures of the road to get to that mud hole especially by the beaver dam.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:25 PM

no kidding we should have taken a picture of the dam. I bet after the rain here tonight that thing is about washed out.

Pure luck on the camera and flying strap. haha
Old 06-26-2009, 08:11 AM

Irrevocable damage to the land, it will take a lifetime for that to repair itself. And dumb *** people wonder why the BLM and Forest Service have been and are closing more and more roads.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:29 AM

Is that land YOURS????????????????
I hope that post was in jest.
Damage to the land that belongs to anyone else is of little concern to you.
What about the farmers who till the land, is that damage too????????

What about the tree harventing? They replant them at higher rates to control erosion and renew the natural resources.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:48 AM

Copehagenjunkie and j-fox you are exactly right about the land. I have been an avid wheeler for years and was always ****** when people would tare up the land. Stover tried his best to tread lightly and not contribute to more land damage by creating ruts and tearing up the grass. The people who were there when the truck first got stuck and then tried to get the truck out did a fair amount but, this is a well known area for people to go to and go mudding. It is a shame that they are so dumb and don’t care at all about the land.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:27 AM

Pssst. Let me let you in on a secret. Dirt can be moved.

Yeah crazy i know! but all those ruts being dug, they can be filled again, with the stuff that came out of them in the first place!

Amazing technlogy!
Old 06-26-2009, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by j-fox

What about the tree harventing? They replant them at higher rates to control erosion and renew the natural resources.

j-fox,
YES, IT PROBABALY IS MINE and YOURS TOO!
Farmers? C'mon this is a mountain meadow not midwest farm land. BIG DIFFERENCE!

If you knew anything about the west you would know that there is more Public Land which is called blm/forest service land than private land especially in Wyoming SO we AMERICANS own the land.

Wyododge06, it is a shame when people dont respect the land, I travel by horse and in the high mountain wilderness areas I go out of my way to reduce mine and the horses impact.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:49 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by 03 ant a hemi
thats a typical day in the oil field in the spring and early fall.
except that you will have a D9 attached to your truck first.

It doesn't matter if its private land, BLM land, or public offroad park. the anti's (the ones that dont believe in any form of recreation they dont participate in) will say exactly the same thing as copenhagejunky....
It doesn't matter that if left alone for a couple months, you will not find a trace of that truck in a couple months... It doesn't matter if all the mud settled out long before it hit a stream... It doesn't matter if a buffalo got stuck and someone saved it doing ten times the damage.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:02 AM

Honestly, a few good rains and maybe a winter of snow and spring run off and most of those ruts will be filled in. Nature has an amazing way or repairing herself. Should the person who got stuck go back and clean things up when its dry enough, yes, but irrevocable damage and a lifetime to repair, personally, I don't think so. Not trying to start a flame war or anything, but I've seen what land looks like after clear cutting and the ruts created, etc. A year later, the ruts are gone.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:26 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by klx650a2
Honestly, a few good rains and maybe a winter of snow and spring run off and most of those ruts will be filled in. Nature has an amazing way or repairing herself. Should the person who got stuck go back and clean things up when its dry enough, yes, but irrevocable damage and a lifetime to repair, personally, I don't think so. Not trying to start a flame war or anything, but I've seen what land looks like after clear cutting and the ruts created, etc. A year later, the ruts are gone.
I agree.
There is alot of logging, farming, and drilling around here.
I have seen what logging trucks can do to a forest.
I have seen what ranchers can do hauling hay.
I have seen what a road looks like after a rig move.
I have seen what these places look like a year later. If a road isn't regularly maintained, it will quickly disappear. You may find where the road was a couple years later, but its not passable. 5 years later, you better know where the road was or you will not find it. 10 years later, you may find subtle depressions in the ground where the road was.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:27 AM

Ok lets set a few things straight here. I enjoy the outdoors. I have been huntin, fishing and hikin as long as I can remember. There is a time and place to drive the truck, but sooner or later you need to get out and walk, which I have no problem doing. I have respect for the land and enjoy it. I have no reason to purposely go out and ruin the land for others.

There is an actualy road that leads up to that field, and usually there is an actual road that leads all the way though it to the other side of the field. If you look in the very first picture posted you can see where there is usually a road if it was not so wet. The road takes you to the other side of the field and completes the loop back to other roads. There is a reason there are 3 tow straps hooked together (started with 4 but it didnt last). The 3 straps allowed me to stay out of any of the ruts and much closer to the road itself.

I hope that post was in jest
This post can be whatever you want it to be. Just thought I would share some pictures and a story with people

Apparently you know me well enought to judge me. I showed up to help a friend, pulled him out, picked up my gear/trash and left. There seem to be enough tracks there to show that I was far from the first person to show up and try and help somebody out. The diference being I showed up and actually had a truck and supplies that could get someone out with as little damage as possible. What would you have done if that was your friend stuck up there?

Originally Posted by klx650a2
Honestly, a few good rains and maybe a winter of snow and spring run off and most of those ruts will be filled in.
Exactly. That field is the low spot for all the run off. In a month or two it will be completely flooded.

Quick Reply: Another reason not to drive the cummins through mud....(pics)