Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Another CB ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 08:49 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Another CB ?

Awhile back my Cobra 29 started blowing the 20 amp fuse. Instead of trying to figure it out [was not sure where to start] I took it out and bought a little Midland. The Midland did not blow the fuse but the folks at the other end complained often that it sounded like I was on a side band or that it was real noisy. So I bought a cheap Barjan mag mount antenna and that helped...eliminated all the bad sounds. Could the tuned Wilson whip I have/had on there cause the fuses to blow? I ask because I have read about high wattage radios needing special high wattage antennae. Now I am thinking if that was the cause maybe I can put the Cobra back in the truck. Thought I would post before I try...just in case theres something obvious that I need to address. The 29 was tweaked about 12-15 yrs ago but theres no added power going through there but if the coax or antenna is messed can it cause this problem?

Thanks

Scotty
Old 11-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
usually problems with the antenna or coax in the form of shorts or opens will take out the power transitors in the finals. if it caused them to short it could blow a fuse. you could test it on the bench with a power supply and a dummy load. if it still blows the fuse you know it's the transceiver.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:34 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by duner
usually problems with the antenna or coax in the form of shorts or opens will take out the power transitors in the finals. if it caused them to short it could blow a fuse. you could test it on the bench with a power supply and a dummy load. if it still blows the fuse you know it's the transceiver.
Thanks! I never got that far as I decided to open up the Cobra and well, its full of corrosion... Too far gone to even consider cleaning it up. I recall when I had the interior of one of my trucks cleaned professionallyand EVERYTHING was wet for days. The demise of the radio was probably from this.

I saw new Cobra 29's for sale in Fargo ND for 99.00. Is that a good deal?
I was thinking about getting the model with the weather bands too. Christmas is coming and I think all I need to do is let my wife know what model. Any suggestions?

Scotty
Old 11-10-2008, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, Cobra has a new radio that has blutooth capability.
Dont know if it has weather function or not.