Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Ankle Holster Help for Boots

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ankle Holster Help for Boots

I wear boots 99.9% of the time, and am looking for an ankle holster for my Glock 27. Anyone have any recommendations?
Old 09-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Have a shoe repair dude sew a Uncle Mikes-style soft holster into the boot top.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:09 AM

ankle holster

I would go with Shovelheads idea. I've tried several wrap around the leg/ankle holsters, most unconfortable thing I've ever tried. Your leg does not like the weight. By the time you tighten the holster up as to not slip down, you'll never get the pistol out in time to use it!
Old 09-15-2011, 11:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've tried four different ankle holsters, and the best I ever wore had a strap that wrapped around the top of the calf just below the knee to keep it from slipping down. When that strap was tight enough to actually keep the gun in place while running, it also cut circulation to my foot. If I was driving, or just walking, it would work, but anything vigorous made me realize an ankle holster was cool in theory, but sucked in practice. If it couldn't hold a Scandium J-frame, it's not going to hold a Glock of any size...

And did I mention two 3" strips of neoprene under a pantleg are hot as hell?
Old 09-16-2011, 02:29 AM

try a shoulder rig and see if it's easier on your body. I tried a friends ankle holster... forget it... I hated it and would rather leave the gun in the truck than pack it down there.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:29 AM

Second take:
Try a clip on style holster in the top of your boot before having one sewn in.
You might find you just can't stand having a firearm that size slapping your leg while you walk.
I second the shoulder rig.
Once I got mine adjusted, it's a comfortable way to carry a fairly large sidearm.
Old 09-16-2011, 05:32 AM

Second take:
Try a clip on style holster in the top of your boot before having one sewn in.
You might find you just can't stand having a firearm that size slapping your leg while you walk.
I second the shoulder rig.
Once I got mine adjusted, it's a comfortable way to carry a fairly large sidearm.

Old 09-16-2011, 10:36 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I've never understood the utility of an ankle holster since you'd have to be sitting to access the weapon quickly...shoulder holster is "mo betta" for a variety of reasons
Old 09-16-2011, 01:07 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Originally Posted by Adaminak
I've tried four different ankle holsters, and the best I ever wore had a strap that wrapped around the top of the calf just below the knee to keep it from slipping down. When that strap was tight enough to actually keep the gun in place while running, it also cut circulation to my foot. If I was driving, or just walking, it would work, but anything vigorous made me realize an ankle holster was cool in theory, but sucked in practice. If it couldn't hold a Scandium J-frame, it's not going to hold a Glock of any size...

And did I mention two 3" strips of neoprene under a pantleg are hot as hell?
Originally Posted by SORTIE
I've never understood the utility of an ankle holster since you'd have to be sitting to access the weapon quickly...shoulder holster is "mo betta" for a variety of reasons

Word. Unless one can pull a Chris Tucker in Rush Hour, it isn't practical.

Originally Posted by justagoodolboy
I wear boots 99.9% of the time, and am looking for an ankle holster for my Glock 27. Anyone have any recommendations?

Don't do it. Stay with IWB, OWB, or shoulder. A G27 is small but still a hair big for pocket carry unless you're wearing vato style jams.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by SORTIE
Only reason I had an ankle holster was for a back-up weapon. It wasn't my primary defense, and if I needed it, I'd likely already be in the kneeling or prone position anyway. To my thoughts, an ankle holster for a primary carry weapon is only slightly better than not carrying a weapon at all.