Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

America United?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 05:40 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy America United?

Ever stop and ponder why we on opposite sides of the political and religious spectrum argue,bicker,and fight so much? Not that i have an answer, but seriously..."United We Stand" has very little meaning any longer, and America will never be like it was decades ago.As long as there is such a varying difference of opinion on certain issues that affect us so greatly..we will never have a "Great" America and no one will be satisfied at the results.Hopefully we have an Enlightening by a higher power soon to finally get us back on track...THIS has been a non-paid Bi-partisan speach brought to you by me, the un-official campaign advisor for no-one
Old 09-26-2004, 06:09 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I disagree

Well not entirely But I think on the major issues, we are all pretty much on the same page. The crud being spread around by the campaigns only clouds the issues and many are confused by it.

Going back to the day after 9-11 everybody pretty much KNEW what really matters. Now a couple years later, far too many people are back to worrying about the silly stuff

Especially when they can blame their troubles on the man in office, instead of on their own mistakes. Like buying a foreign car instead of one from the big 3.

Sure there are NO vehicles entirely made here any more, but the profits go toward an American company. This is only one example, and not a perfect one, but the premise holds true.

Some of us still understand the value of keeping the money at home and the importance of maintaining a strong military presence in the world.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:36 AM

What good does it do to keep the money at home when there is not enough employment to spend it? Think this through. DC based in where.... Germany? Assembly plant based where...... Mexico? So far that leave transmission and engine. As far as I know those are still made here. But, out of those 4 components 2 are not bringing money here to america. Then we can look at the other issues. Sales. The dealership is here in america, the taxes are here in america. Looks like they balance each other out, right? Wrong. For the sales to make money for themselves and the state to make money from the sales, then SOMEONE has to make the money to pay them off. So, the state's alternative is to force everyone else to pay money to make up the difference in taxes. A prime example is fuel surcharge. The state gets a cut, and the fed gov gets a cut, then the distibuter gets thier cut, and the station makes little profit. Oh yeah, this is also on dinorot that came from OTHER countries, might get refined here, not sure. But my point is still made. The money to purchase these items that are manufactured somewhere else, has to be made somehow.
If we do a breakdown of income generating revenue. we can all consider
1. Medical Profession
2. Legal Profession
3. Stock market related Profession
4. Finance or banking Profession
5. And that leaves basically the service industry to pick up the slack on generating income.

Medical profession has insurance companies
Legal profession has everyone suing everyone for nothing
Stock market, they get thier cut whether you make or lose money
finance, they make thier money cause we can't afford to pay cash for everything (cause we don't make enough)
Service industry, to work on the equipment that is designed, maufacured overseas.

I think the best place for our national guard is here in the states doing what they agreed to do. The best place for our military is to goto other countries, handle our business, and get back home. No more of this policing crap. If Iraq wants to have a civil war, then let them, if Israel wants to attack Iran, let them. The whole world found a way to get by for many many many years before the US came on the scene.
Is Bush better than Kerry? No
Is Kerry better than Bush? NO
but, since you have to be loaded financially to even consider running for prez, looks like the rest of us are sol since we can't generate enough money to stay out of debt, because we don't make our own stuff anymore.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with turbosmongus somewhat. Where I live its become a war of politics. If murder was legal it seems there would be mass blood shed over whos best suited to president or whats better, demican or rebublicrat. Words are flyin, and hatred is brewin. So what happened to so many of Americas people anyhow? At the rate were goin well be no better that some 3rd world country, with the exception were rich. I personally have my opinions as you can see, and its all pretty clear how things should be.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:51 AM

bdramsey
You need to work for the Japanese for a few years and you would get a diferent view on things I think we all agree that very little is made in the USA and a lot of jobs are going to foriegn countries, but I no from experience that the Japanese send as much money back to japan as possible by only buying from Japanese companies and buying thier eqipment from Japan even though the quality is less and the cost is more than American made eqipment but they keep on buying more and more realestate in the good old USA so one day they will own the whole country and we will all work for them and they will set our pay where they want it
Old 09-27-2004, 02:49 PM

sounds like a big conspiracy plan to me... OR DOES IT. revenge anyone... ?

Seriously I think there are many issues but the biggest regarding the economy in my raley humble opinion is taxes I recently read that something to the effect taxes account for 47% of the purchase price of every product b/c each and every step in the manufacturing chain is taxed seperatley and then most things have a sales tax.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:59 PM

Everyone seems to think that the outsourcing is a new thing and caused by the current administration. I bought a new '70s Ford and it was made in Canada. The v6 ford engine was an English build. The libs let Ralph Nader kill the Corvair so that the VW bug could dominate. They both had the same style suspension. Due to our high costs of labor, TV sets and transistor radios have basically always been from Japan and later Korea and other Asian countries. I made a lot of money in the '70s trucking parts from Laredo Tx to all points in the States that were manufactured in Mexico.

This has been going on for 30 or more years, the time to stop it was 30 years ago, its gone too far now. Everytime the IAM, AFL-CIO and other unions made a strike to get higher wages and better benefits when they were already paid twice what non union jobs paid, they drove another nail in the coffin of America's manufacturing.

America's prosperity is its own downfall. We had so much more than any other country, it stands to reason that forign sources would one day take over the products. And they did.

But look at it from another point of view. Japan has not resources, a major war would wipe them out, same for most countries. WE still have the resources if necessary and probably could stand alone on our oil if it became necessary.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by wildbillnc
bdramsey
You need to work for the Japanese for a few years and you would get a diferent view on things I think we all agree that very little is made in the USA and a lot of jobs are going to foriegn countries, but I no from experience that the Japanese send as much money back to japan as possible by only buying from Japanese companies and buying thier eqipment from Japan even though the quality is less and the cost is more than American made eqipment but they keep on buying more and more realestate in the good old USA so one day they will own the whole country and we will all work for them and they will set our pay where they want it
Kinda like Mexico is doing here? Looks like we got Japan and Mexico dukin it out. I bought a boat about 2.5 years ago, it was made in America, I looked around until I found a 100% American designed, made, and manufactured in America.
It had connections not connected, like the fuel sender, I had to have the regulator replaced after 2 months. This is the kind of crap that Americans put out. I can't say as I blame the Japanese for buying thier own products. It is not a little secret which vehicle have a history of excellent fuel mileage, and engine durability. Most American's buy japanese, and taiwan, and chinese products. and either don't even know it, or on purpose because of the price and or durability. It's amazing... a company can design, implement, manufacture, and ship a product halfway around the worl, for less than we can make it our own back yard.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by bdramsey
Kinda like Mexico is doing here? Looks like we got Japan and Mexico dukin it out. I bought a boat about 2.5 years ago, it was made in America, I looked around until I found a 100% American designed, made, and manufactured in America.
It had connections not connected, like the fuel sender, I had to have the regulator replaced after 2 months. This is the kind of crap that Americans put out. I can't say as I blame the Japanese for buying thier own products. It is not a little secret which vehicle have a history of excellent fuel mileage, and engine durability. Most American's buy japanese, and taiwan, and chinese products. and either don't even know it, or on purpose because of the price and or durability. It's amazing... a company can design, implement, manufacture, and ship a product halfway around the worl, for less than we can make it our own back yard.
I have a hard time, since I DO look for American Made products. Chinese and Taiwanese made tools are garbage! I have never brokena Craftsman, Snap-On, or Blackhawk socket, ever! I nearly lost a finger when the entire sidewall split off of a chinese socket!

Ponder this: One of China's main trade partners isn't even a country, but just ONE corporation..........................WAL MART! Remember the ads with old Sam about trying to buy American made products whenever possible? Find what is made in the USA in a Wal-Mart! The bad part is that they are very successful, having driven many other stores out of business, so We don't have much choice any more. We lost it ourselves, by what we supported.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Originally posted by zulusafari
........................WAL MART! Remember the ads with old Sam about trying to buy American made products whenever possible? Find what is made in the USA in a Wal-Mart! The bad part is that they are very successful, having driven many other stores out of business, so We don't have much choice any more. We lost it ourselves, by what we supported.
Not this "we".

I avoid Walmart like the plague.
The plague I will most likely be exposed to by walking in there.

phox
Old 09-27-2004, 10:46 PM

Unfortunately Sam died and the company has a completely different mode of operation. While Sam was alive a complaint to Arkansas would get an immediate respons. Now they don't really give a crap.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:42 AM

China does make cheap stuff, and your point rings true about wal-mart. Looks like China and taiwan figured it out, make cheap stuff and American's buy more of it............
Old 09-28-2004, 11:01 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally posted by bdramsey
What good does it do to keep the money at home when there is not enough employment to spend it?
That my friend is PRECISELY why we have a problem. If the money were kept at home we would have the jobs people need.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:16 PM

Friends,
The colonists were importing things to this country long before it was the United States of America. We could produce a lot of our own supplies back then but trade was good for the growth of our nation.

I always wondered why we couldn't go back to that way of doing business. I guess the other countries would rather have our $$ to buy weapon systems than trade us for our national products.

PISTOL