Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Am I the only one tired/fed up hearing about "social media"

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I the only one tired/fed up hearing about "social media"

I am tired of hearing "follow me on twitter" or "be my friend on facebook". I had a FB account but realized what an incredible waste of time/bandwidth it seems to be. People I haven't seen in 20 years who weren't my friends then want to be "friends" now. I deleted my account, if you want to be my friend, have a beer with me in person, or call me on the phone and BS.
The social media crap has crept into the business world/ads etc. I saw recently where a certain airline was giving good deals if you booked through FB.
Am I the only one who is tired of all that garbage and thinks they are incredible wastes of time? Especially for people who should get up off the couch and do something or kids who spend too much time "interfacing" through the computer.
Granted, the PC is like a TV, I can change the channel, I don't have to visit those sites (and I don't), just tired of hearing about them all the time.

Rant off~Rob
Old 08-14-2010, 06:44 PM

Received 366 Likes on 272 Posts
I agree...I don't see the point to any of it......Ben
Old 08-14-2010, 06:47 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

LinkedIn is the only networking group Im in.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:52 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have found around 100 relatives I did not know on FB.. I Like it...
Old 08-14-2010, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I feel the same way about. Why do I want to be "friends" with somebody I've never met who lives 1000 miles away or some jerk I went to school with.If I wasn't your friend then, whats changed to now. Its also an invitation to problems. I work for a school district in their transportation dept, and we has a couple bus drivers that like to interact with 7th-12th grade girls though FB and twitter and get away with it because they using it for "informative route information". Since when is looking at half naked minors work related. I got away from myspace and all that,it's a waste of time IMO.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:07 PM

For the most part they (social nutworking sites) are super garbage and the damage they are doing via social networking on most issues is scarey. They are a double wammy on top of the bad media hype.

Many of the people including younger ones start to believe lies, distortion and misinformation as a borg collective and you cannot change their minds even with cold hard facts. It is really insane what a bunch of borg can do without face to face discussion to correct them. This was a major factor in Obama getting elected.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:06 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by ramlovingvet
I have found around 100 relatives I did not know on FB.. I Like it...
I have also reconnected with some old friends and military buddies because of their FB pages. However, I don’t do the friends thing and totally don’t understand the other social networking stuff. However, I might join twitter so I can get minute by minute updates from Paris Hilton and the others.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:30 AM

I have a FB account, but have not used it in about a month. last time I was on some girl wanted to chat, said she was in my homeroom back in high school. That was 40 years ago. I did not talk to you then and I don't want to talk to you now. Also seems like someone always wants a brick or something for their stupid farm.

I guess it serves a purpose to some people, but not me
Old 08-15-2010, 10:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
LinkedIn is the only networking group Im in.
Me too.

MikeyB
Old 08-15-2010, 11:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyB
Me too.

MikeyB

Me Three....
Old 08-15-2010, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by d22019
some jerk I went to school with.If I wasn't your friend then, whats changed to now.
One of my high school buddies still does the high school / college social events. He gives the same answer everytime someone asks why Im not there. "He didn't want to hang out with you then, he still doesn't"

Originally Posted by MikeyB
Me too.

MikeyB
Originally Posted by Spooler
Me Three....
LinkedIn is the only networking site I have seen that is more about professional networking rather than socializing.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:15 PM

Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
I have a life. Nuf said!
Old 08-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Um... all you guys that have no use for 'social networking'; what do you think we're doing here on DTR, having a square dance?

Old 08-15-2010, 01:48 PM

I dig FB ... reconnected with people that I lost years ago (multiple moves). Plus, I keep up with a few of my DTR friends on a non-truck level.

If I didn't care for people 30-40 years ago ... it gives me a chance to view their page and see if they are still the jerks they were then ... or if they have grown a personality and some common sense. People change ... and I don't think you can have enough actual friends.

I don't get into the whole adding people that I don't even know ... unless we know the same people or something.

Cheers,
PISTOL
Old 08-15-2010, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Um... all you guys that have no use for 'social networking'; what do you think we're doing here on DTR, having a square dance?

forums aren't quite the same as social networking sites.
forums are for discussion of deep philosophical subjects, not trying to meet some fat guy pretending to be a hawt 15 y/o...

Quick Reply: Am I the only one tired/fed up hearing about "social media"