Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Am I justified in being a little upset?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It's one of those jobs you go on call. It's just a pain in the behind. Been there done that. If the guy that was on call hasen't sleep a call for help is normal. Can't expect the boss to put his worker in harms way. It's happened before and will again. Just part of the job. I am not on call anymore but my phone could ring at any time with a problem that needs to be addressed. It dosen't happen to often but when it does they need my help.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBlue
I can't not answer the phone. He relies on us to much and I just can't do that to him. I've been with the company for a long time (it's only been open for 6 or 7 years) and I've watched it grow up and I've been a part of that so I can't just turn my back on him. I'm gonna talk to him later this week and see what he has to say. Thanks for the help yall.
I carry a company issued cell phone and I've told them that they can call me ANYTIME. If I'm available, I'll answer. There are many times when I've been out working on the truck on a day off and the phone has rung and I've answered and helped them with an issue but they also know (and I tell them in advance) that there are times when the cell WILL BE SHUT OFF and if it's an emergency, they then need to dial 911. They pay me well for what I do and I feel a deep sense of loyalty to the company for how good they have been to me but when I schedule time to get away, I plan to get away (no IM, no e-mail, no cell, nothing!!).

Personally, I wouldn't say anything this time but next time that I schedule to be away (not just off-duty but not available), I'd make sure that they knew it and that they knew that I'd probably not be available by cell either and then screen your calls or turn the thing off. Loyalty is a great thing but they don't pay you or me enough to kill ourselves for the job. You've got to get away sometimes. Now, if you're scheduled to be off and want to work, go for it but if you don't want to work and you're not on call, you have the right not to answer that phone.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two words. Caller ID.

Other thing is to say, "I will need my wife to drive me because I am too drunk to."

As I sit here having worked 48 on 24 off for the third time in a row.