Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

The Alaska Experiment

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 02:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Alaska Experiment

Anybody watch this new series...First one ran today...They dropped off four groups of people out in the Bush to survive on their own for three months. These poor city folks....Hope they make it out alive.
Behind the Scenes
Old 04-23-2008, 06:53 AM

I seen a little of the first episode where some grossly obese woman was about keel over from the hike to the cabin...
Old 04-23-2008, 07:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wish they would do that with these so called 'enviromentalists'. Get a taste of what the real world is like. And be bear fodder.

MikeyB
Old 04-23-2008, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by AkTallPaul
Anybody watch this new series...First one ran today...They dropped off four groups of people out in the Bush to survive on their own for three months. These poor city folks....Hope they make it out alive.
Behind the Scenes

I think they need to do a whole show on the camera crews. they think that they hosts and stars of the show are tough for "surviving" alaska, but everyone forgets they get to watch it because 2 or 3 dudes are runnin around at twice the speed shooting all the video and capturing all the audio. so for every 3 miles with 30 pound packs the hosts WALK, you've got a crew that RAN 6, with 60 pounds, in the same environment.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:42 AM

I can't believe it. I think someone is going to die or at the very least get mauled by a bear. I hear that they have survival experts along to make sure that they have help in a emergency but from what I saw the experts are going to be busy!
Old 04-23-2008, 09:04 AM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

I watched a movie just recently called Out in the Wild. A true story. It is about a fella that went to do a survival thing in Alaska. As I was watching it I said to the wife, that guy does not have a very big pack. If you watch it you will see what I mean.
Old 04-23-2008, 11:40 AM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Going to be interesting. From what I saw the couple on the coast in the tent were doing the best and seemed to be the smartest of the groups.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Clayten
I watched a movie just recently called Out in the Wild. A true story. It is about a fella that went to do a survival thing in Alaska. As I was watching it I said to the wife, that guy does not have a very big pack. If you watch it you will see what I mean.
I want to find that book. Saw the movie and then someone claimed to have read that book and said he was only like 3 miles from the moose hunting camp, and also, just upstream, there was a bridge. Don't want to say too much and give it away for anyone who hasn't seen it. I'd say it was worth a rental.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
I seen a little of the first episode where some grossly obese woman was about keel over from the hike to the cabin...
I think that family will be the first to be flown out, I laughed my tail off watching her whine an waddle to the cabin, and then they are arguing about how to store there boots. They were eating raw taters, with is not good, they won't make it a month.

Originally Posted by ian515
I think they need to do a whole show on the camera crews. they think that they hosts and stars of the show are tough for "surviving" Alaska, but everyone forgets they get to watch it because 2 or 3 dudes are running around at twice the speed shooting all the video and capturing all the audio. so for every 3 miles with 30 pound packs the hosts WALK, you've got a crew that RAN 6, with 60 pounds, in the same environment.
No doubt, those guys got their work cut out. I will be the first to admit that packing a couple hundred pound of meat across the tundra is not a fun job.

Clayten and Tinkerin-w-stuf...The book is called Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer about Chris McCandles He is a prime example of some of the people that come up here with know clue of what this place is like, and how fast it will bury you. I bet the family with the dad and and two girls probably paid no attention to the experts when they tried to explain how to survive here, they think they are going on a camping trip with no worries at all. People have no clue how fast this country will devour the unprepared, In 2007, Alaska state troopers added 2,833 missing person notices to their Missing Persons Clearinghouse that maintains all related information. In a state with just over 670,000 residents, that figure averages out to about four in every 1,000 people

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
Going to be interesting. From what I saw the couple on the coast in the tent were doing the best and seemed to be the smartest of the groups.
I agree...They seemed to be able to see a problem and how to deal with it in a logical way.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:30 PM
Chapter President

They had that guy back in the 50's that went up to Alaska and lived there for what(?) 30 years before he was just to old to get things done like he used to. Saw it on PBS and he documented the building of his cabin, the food storage and all kinds of stuff. Was pretty awesome.

Les Stroud, the survivorman films his own stuff, totes his own gear.

Ain't seen the show but if these folks are like most people today(clueless) they'll have a time surviving.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by dodgeguy71
They had that guy back in the 50's that went up to Alaska and lived there for what(?) 30 years before he was just to old to get things done like he used to. Saw it on PBS and he documented the building of his cabin, the food storage and all kinds of stuff. Was pretty awesome.
Saw that one. Good show.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by AkTallPaul

I agree...They seemed to be able to see a problem and how to deal with it in a logical way.
Wonder how they will deal with the 4 legged problem?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:59 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Originally Posted by tinkerin-w-stuf
I want to find that book. Saw the movie and then someone claimed to have read that book and said he was only like 3 miles from the moose hunting camp, and also, just upstream, there was a bridge. Don't want to say too much and give it away for anyone who hasn't seen it. I'd say it was worth a rental.
Ya the gut did not even take a map with him. I call them plastic people. They have no idea how tough mother nature is.
Paul you are right on the title my mistake. I have worked in the far north and it was not a forgiving place, but the beauty is outstanding.
I have unfinished business in the north, ( I want to show my wife the area) as you know Paul I want to go back there. Fuel prices are making me think about this. But the more I hear and see (posts of the north) I am losing control I may yet pay those oil barons to go.Maybe I can still become a Sourdougher, hope I don't have to lose a thumb to do it. You fellas in the north know what I am saying. The north the north the beautiful north. And the wonderful people the subside there. I need an intervention.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
except for when they were fishing for salmon, and decided to use their hands, instead of the NET they had in their hands.
prime example of making it harder for tv.