Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Air Hockey Table ????

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 02:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Hockey Table ????

Superbowl sunday I acquired a full size air hockey table for free. No, I didn't win a bet. The table is used though. When my roommate and I started playing we noticed that the puck only floated on one side and was marginal at best. We also noticed that the table top itself is not very smooth. The fan is definately blowing air out of all the holes. Is there anything I can do to make the table slipperier? Thanks yall.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Try cleaning the puck and the table top with non-abrasive cleaner.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:32 PM
Banned

Like what? Cleaning supplies are in short supply around my house. They consist of dawn soap and a towel and that's about it.
Old 02-07-2006, 02:43 PM

The pucks are usually only made to be "slippery" on one side. It should have more of a beveled edge on the side that faces down to trap air under there and usually there is a logo on the other side. I would try to wipe it down really good with a DAMP rag soaked in warm water and the dawn soap (be sure to ring it out real good before wiping), then wipe it down with a clean dry rag. Finally, after it is good and dry, I would try some Pledge furniture polish on it. If this doesn't work try a new puck...

Also, when you say the "table top itself is not very smooth," how bad is it? If it's too bad, it may be a lost cause...
Old 02-07-2006, 03:12 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Treat it like you do your truck. Spend about 8 hours cleaning, waxing, polishing and rubbing all over it with a clay bar. When you're done it will be slick as snot (and the fan will likely burn up too since you put so much elbow grease into getting the surface in good shape).
Old 02-07-2006, 06:43 PM
Banned

goBucks, the table itself is smooth, just not very slippery. Feels like an unwaxed truck. I'll try the cleaning stuff and pledge. I might have some around here somewhere.

Hoss, already tried turtle wax on one section. Didn't work to well. Any other suggestions.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:11 PM

The furniture wax should work better than the automotive wax...
Old 02-07-2006, 10:12 PM
Banned

Well thanks to yall I've improved it quite a bit. I cleaned the puck real well and then lightly beveled the edge with my knife and knocked down some of the high spots with some 2000 grit sand paper. Put it on the table and it just floats. Thanks yall.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:25 AM

That should amount to hours of fun, but I hope you also saved room for the beer-pong table I assume you guys play beer-pong (sometimes referred to as Beirut) down in College Station...
Old 02-08-2006, 10:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get yourself some silicone spray and then see what happens, it'll be like chevy chase going down the hill on the flying saucer in christmas vacation!
Old 02-08-2006, 12:39 PM
Banned

Do we play beer pong. Your a funny person. I love beer pong. Especially after about the 6th or 7th round when you start seeing multiple *****. That's when it gets fun. I usually play once a week. It just depends on when my neighbors are playing since they have the pong table.
Old 02-08-2006, 12:48 PM

They play beer pong but they dont play cornhole www.playcornhole.org.... I assume that game has made it up to your part of Ohio....
Old 02-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Banned

Yeah, we don't play that game down here. Just something about the word cornhole and a bunch of guys just don't seem right.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:40 PM

Check the blower also to make sure the fins are not all filled with dirt that will give you some more air .
Old 02-08-2006, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Yeah, we don't play that game down here. Just something about the word cornhole and a bunch of guys just don't seem right.
Game has nothing to do with that however, it is more fun when played with girls.....

Quick Reply: Air Hockey Table ????