Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: Where are you serving in the Armed Forces?
I serve in the USA.
54.55%
I serve outside the USA, but not in Iraq or Afganistan.
15.15%
I am in Iraq.
9.09%
I am in Afganistan.
0%
I am in the US Army.
15.15%
I am in the US Navy.
18.18%
I am in the US Marines.
9.09%
I am in the US Air Force.
36.36%
I am in the US Coast Guard.
18.18%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Active Duty Personel Please Sign In!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chinookce
Currently at Ft. Hood, TX...Was At Ft. Campbell, KY before that, done 6 mos. in Afghanistan and a year in Iraq. Also deployed to New Orleans for Katrina Relief and Houston for Rita. Been in for 5 years, just re-enlisted for another 6
What did you think of the hurricane damage? Were you flying in Iraq?
Old 10-22-2005, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Chip
I'm in the U.S.Coast Guard, stationed aboard Coast Guard Cutter Hudson out of Miami Beach, Fl. Cutter Hudson is a 160 ft inland water construction tender. We build fixed aids to navigation in the intercoastal waterway from Melbourne, Fl. down to Key West and the Dry Tortugas, Fl. We just returned from a 43 day deployment to Louisanna, Miss. and Alabama for a Hurricane Katrina relief effort to help open the waterways in the area. We have an American Aero 70ft. boom crane with a Pileco piledriver attached to it. We use 35 to 60ft piles and drive them into the mud and leave 10 to 15ft of the pile above the water line and then bolt a red triangle or a green square to the pile to mark the channel. I've been in the USCG for 13 yrs and am a Damage Controlman. I do like my job in the CG, but Miami will be in my rearview mirror in June of 06'. Miami is just NOT my kind of city.
Chip
Where are you going in June of 06? Can you pick where you are going?
Old 10-22-2005, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by blown32
USAF
Stationed at F.E. Warren AFB in wonderful Wyoming.
Serving for just over 21 years.
Married to a outstanding woman for nearly 20 years (really don't see how she puts up with me).
No children, just project cars, trucks and a ornery dog.
Wow! 21 years! How much longer for retirement? Any plans yet?
Thanks for the service!
Old 10-22-2005, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by DR3500
USAF 10.5 yrs. Currently stationed @Tyndall AFB, Fla. I am married with a 2.5 y/o girl and 3mo/o son. I am going for retirement.
I got a tour of Offutt AFB last weekend. I flew in as part of a civilian flyin. They really put on a nice show. I got to meet a lot of enlisted and officers while they were working their duty. We toured the control tower, firestation, flying club, and got a talk be the base commander. Lots of new stuff being built there with new "missions" on the way.

The sun never sets on the fighting 55th.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GEICO266,
I am retirement eligible now but will likely stay for 3 or 4 more years as I work with some great people and enjoy what I do. Not sure what to do after the Air Force, I want to do something that matters and that I can really get into. In all the years the military has kept me involved, challenged, and interested. I know a bunch of folks who hate to wake up and go to work, life is to short to be miserable. Life is about much more than money, that is as long as you can pay the bills (but it does help )

Allen
Old 10-22-2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by blown32
GEICO266,
I am retirement eligible now but will likely stay for 3 or 4 more years as I work with some great people and enjoy what I do. Not sure what to do after the Air Force, I want to do something that matters and that I can really get into. In all the years the military has kept me involved, challenged, and interested. I know a bunch of folks who hate to wake up and go to work, life is to short to be miserable. Life is about much more than money, that is as long as you can pay the bills (but it does help )

Allen
Now there is an attitude for life!

I'll tell you a secret. If you do something very, very, well the money will follow you. If you chase the money, you'll never get it. Its kinda funny that way. You'll do just fine.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:32 PM

I am stationed in Delaware, and just got back from Qatar. in the Air force, going to Guam soon!
Old 10-22-2005, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Geico266
I was on Guam for 2 weeks when I was a USN destroyer skimmer. Not bad duty!

I didn't know the CG leaves the main land! (Kidding) It always cracked me up that Alaska was considered over seas duty to the CG when I was in the Navy. That was a long time ago, we used sails.

What do you do in the CG?
Electronics Technician. I am on shore duty this time around. Was on the USCGC Chase in San Diego before Guam.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:06 PM

Hubby is a Construction Mechanic in the Seabees so he's not on a ship. He is a Second Class and is part of NMCB 3. He has been in for 8 years and just re-enlisted in March for another 6, is planning on going at least 20. Said when he hits 20 depending on rank will decide if he stays in or retires. Seperation is hard especially since this is our first deployment together. But I knew what I was getting into when we got married. Lots of emails and calls when he's able to call. His family calls me a lot to check on my and my daughter. They've been through two other kids in Iraq so they are use to by now.
There are tons of ways to show support for the troops. I know there are many websites that you can sponsor a care package and it will get sent to someone over there. You can do a search for "military care packages" and there are tons of sites that sponsor adopting a soldier.
Thank you everyone for your support, and thanks to those who selfishly serve this country.

Originally Posted by Geico266
Of course we would love to hear from you! What ship is your hubby on? What is his rank and rate? How do you handle the seperation?
Old 10-22-2005, 05:38 PM

I am in the Coast Guard and just moved to Kodiak, Alaska this past summer. I fly HH65 helicopters. I have been in the CG since '93, married with 1 son (3).

MY THANKS TO THOSE SERVING IN PLACES MUCH LESS DESIRABLE!!
Old 10-22-2005, 06:39 PM

Active duty Drill SGT stationed at FT Sill, OK. I get off the trail in FEB after three years of pushing JOE!
Old 10-22-2005, 07:03 PM

Sonar Technician (Surface) First Class. Currently stationed in Whidbey Island, WA and deployed on a T-AGOS class ship thats run by MSC (civilian). Not quite the same as my first sea duty on a cruiser. We have two-man state rooms, civilian cooks (no recipe cards) and our only responsibility while underway is standing our watch (no drills, maintenance or General Quarters in the middle of the night). The big bonus is that we get to do our job a lot more.

Going to submit my package for Limited Duty Officer this year. I like being a Sonar Tech but am ready for a change of pace.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel
Electronics Technician. I am on shore duty this time around. Was on the USCGC Chase in San Diego before Guam.
I remember being on Guam when the sand crabs migrated from the jungle to the beaches. Pretty bizzar! Have you seen that yet?

Also, to show you how old I am, a Japananese soldier surrendered a month before my ship got to Guam. It was 1975! Pretty bizzar! He was living in the jungle waiting for the Japanese ships to return.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by cga97
I am in the Coast Guard and just moved to Kodiak, Alaska this past summer. I fly HH65 helicopters. I have been in the CG since '93, married with 1 son (3).
SWEET! Man I wish I had it to do over again. I would have flown something, ANYTHING and became a commercial pilot. Oh well, can't go back.

Enjoy it while you are in man! Flying a great bird like that and Uncle Sam pays the bills! YAHOO!
Old 10-22-2005, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by zfort001
Active duty Drill SGT stationed at FT Sill, OK. I get off the trail in FEB after three years of pushing JOE!
Are you going to stay in or hang it up?

Quick Reply: Active Duty Personel Please Sign In!