Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Absolutley tragic!

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BIGHEAD
I shot a rattlesnake an hour ago under my storage house. My storage house is about 2.5 ft to 3 ft off the ground. It is my dogs only refuge from the sweltering heat & sun. I live in the country & don't have anything but fields around me. Unlike this time last year when the field beside me was all but bare due to the drought, now it has 3 ft high Bahia grass in it. The cows can't keep up.
Anyway, why shoot a snake? to keep it from killing one of my AKC registered hounds or Labs, that is why. I am sorry this kid lost his life. I am sorry for the cop too. How many of you would like to be in his shoes right now, living with his nightmare? The cop should have used a shotgun instead of a pistol. I used a single shot 20 guage, which I keep loaded just for snakes & such. I could have grabbed my ruger 357, but for what, a lucky shot. I ain't that good. It is like working with the right tool. the right tool does the job a whole lot easier than the wrong one.
Do not crucify this cop. he was trying to help someone. As bad as his actions are, it is just one of those freak accidents that happen. The man should not be charged with anything. If he saved one of y'all's sons or daughters from harm, and lost his life, how would you feel? How would you feel for his family & his kids? Sure go to the funeral & then what, nothing. That is what would happen. Do not JUDGE LEST YE BE JUDGED ALSO.
Cops have a hard enough job without being scrutinized to death for every mistake they make. sometimes it is as bad as this case, sometimes not.
This man should not be charged with anything, IMO, & I HATE Cops. That's right. I can't stand the drug running & high speed riding SOB's where I live, while they stop me for running 75 in a 55 blowing a little black smoke. Cops should be held accountable for their actions JUST like the rest of us. They can run a 100 mph for no reason at all, why can't I, or you? Oh we don't have the special training. Horse crap. Anyway, this was truly an accident, & I believe most people will see it for what it is, a trajedy.
*** do you mean the cop shouldent be charged any moron should know you dont fire a gun in the air expecialy a pig hell even my 4 year old nephew knows better i hope the put him in jail just like they would anyone else but im sure his pig buddies will get him off
Old 08-09-2007, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by 1320
First rule your taught no matter who you are, civilian or leo, you are responsible for where that bullet goes, period. If you use it, you better be sure. Maybe its just me, but shooting at a snake in a tree is a really really bad idea, unless it was a tree on a range for competition? That would be funny, try to hit the moving snake in the tree at 500 yards....

A true tragedy.
corrected typos, sorry, can't help myself
500 yards on a moving snake in a tree.......that's kinda long shot territory. I dunno if my EYES are that good anymore, even with a scope!

Gotta go look up the drop at 500 yards on my 30.06 with 165gr btsp......
talk about overkill! YEAH! - Hey, what's that two miles behind that snake????

Guy still did an idiotic thing. You have to either laugh or cry, and I still feel like cryin'..... it's a "mom" thing.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I don't know why any LEO would fire a handgun at a snake anyway, EVERYBODY knows a Tazer on a serpent is much more fun

(Not trying to downplay the horror of this tragedy, just trying to lighten it up a bit as a couple guys got a little carried away earlier on.)
Old 08-09-2007, 09:35 AM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hehehehe! Around here it's the second one that gets em! ( recently there have been a couple of deaths in Chicago using tazers, both got hit twice ) And hey! Where did your IRS quote go from your sig? That was good!
Old 08-09-2007, 10:02 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by vzdude
And hey! Where did your IRS quote go from your sig? That was good!
I got rid of that after I finished Taxes on 2 businesses and personal taxes because I didn't want to think about them any more

Funny you should ask today because I am filling out Personal Property Taxes right now as the State wants to tax us on all our Computers, desks, chairs, calculators....you get the idea

CountingBicpensLary
Old 08-09-2007, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
<SNIP> the State wants to tax us on all our Computers, desks, chairs, calculators....you get the idea

CountingBicpensLary
frikkin commies........ grrrrrr.........

SICKNTIRED of forking over 40% of my life blood to support shiftless leeches - bureaucratic or not!

Old 08-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Banned

I personally think the cop should be held accountable for what he did. He was careless and that is that....simply careless! Take this for example.....say I were standing on a bridge and decide to throw a large rock off into the water. I toss it over the edge and just so happen to hit some poor person in the head that was floating down the river and they die......now it was a pure 100% accident and I had no idea anyone was down there....but the fact is I KILLED someone and should be responsible for my actions.

This cop is trained to handle his weapon, trained to know when it's ok to fire a weapon in the open.....he didn't use caution and he killed an innocent 5 year old in the process. You would think after the first shot he'd realize that his method was stupid, but yet he fired a 2nd shot.

I'm sorry I don't care who you are, you could be the president of the united states......if you kill someone accident or not you should be held accountable just like anyone else!

~Nick
Old 08-09-2007, 02:39 PM

any more news on this has anything happened to the cop???
Old 08-09-2007, 09:42 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
The latest update I could find. Three officers suspended and more details in the article.

http://www.normantranscript.com/loca...218133057.html
Old 08-09-2007, 10:08 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
This story is strange. Ballistically the bullets should have arrived before the sound of the shot. I'm sure the grandfather was under much duress. Very sad indeed.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:08 PM

Looks like the story has changed a little bit.
http://newsok.com/article/3098884

""The first shot grazed the snake, and the second killed it,” Brown said.

Wade said he is 90 percent sure that the same bullet that killed the snake also killed Austin, but due to the trajectory of the shot and the fact that Austin and his grandfather were downhill, investigators have to be 100 percent certain.
"

The ballastics on this is going to be interesting, especially since they do confirm here that it was in a birdhouse, and the people were downhill from there.. and even something as squishy as a snake throws off the trajectory a bit.. especially if they were using hollow's..
Old 08-10-2007, 12:34 AM

I feel for the kid's family. Not so much the police officer. I'm sure he thought nothing of it when he fired the shots. But that was his fault. If it was anyone's kid from anyone on here, you know you would want to press charges.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:38 AM

The cop should lose his job over this....

It was a bad mistake, accident, tragedy etc.
He should be held responsible...

Does he deserve a criminal charge?
At this point I dont think so, but that should be up to the parents.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:14 AM

i dont know what to say about this anymore this is such just so tragic!!!!!!!!! i still think that the leo should still be charged with the death. i know that he had no intention of killing the young boy but i do not think that it matters. a 5 year old baby was killed beacause of the leo's negligence. no matter what if this was a civilian he would be sitting in jail awaiting the outcome and i think that the leo should be too. the fact that they would not disclose his name alone is wierd. has the officer even apologized to the parents? i know that it would not mean much but that is the least he could do.