Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

99 chevy transfer case trouble - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 10:54 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
99 chevy transfer case trouble - HELP!

O.K. guys, just got about 12 inches of snow around here and 35 mph winds. Buddy has a 99 Chevy with the electronic shifted transfer case. He can't read the numbers on the case because the tag is gone! We have done some diagnosing and the transfer case tries to engage 4x4. the motor actuates, put it in gear, and the wheels try to turn, then it gives out. I'm thinking that it has a viscous coupler inside just like a jeep. Problem is, cant figure out what case it has in it. It does have the auto 4x4 selector in the buttons. Everything I can come up with says NP243C, but....no one lists a viscous coupler for that model either! Anyone know what the heck model it could be?
Old 12-17-2007, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was told that all of the "Useful numbers" were stamped on the inside of the x-fer case and not out where you could see them. That was the problem I came to when I had to replace the one on the wifes Yukon. I never did tear the thing apart to find them ... just swapped for one with the same gear ratio.

Wish I could help you bud.
PISTOL

*** Just a thought .... does he have the correct fluid in it ? There is some special type of fluid that goes in there (blue in color). I had to go to the dealership to get it.

PISTOL
Old 12-17-2007, 07:36 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the motor engage the front electrically on those, or is it vacuum engaged? On gm the motor engages the t-case, but the front end is vacuum. the cold weather can cause the front end to not engage or even disengage after it's already being used. I don't know if they make one to fit a Dodge, but look up Posi-lok. They make a pull cable that bi-passes the vacuum system in the front and engages the front mechanically when YOU want it in and out. You can also put it in low lock and leave the front disengaged for an extra option. I had one for an s-10 and need to get one for my Grand Cherokee.
Old 12-17-2007, 12:12 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Both the transfercase and front axle are electrically engaged and are operating correctly.