Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

95 accord timing belt, any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 accord cam belt, any tips?

Just to keep me busy and out of trouble (I guess), I've taken on a belt change on a nephews 150k, 95 Honda Accord with 2.2 engine. It's still on the original cam belt.

Any tips on making what looks like a pain in the rear job a bit less painful?

Thanks,

RJR
Old 05-04-2007, 08:17 AM

All I Know About It Is When You Put The Belts Back On You Have To Set The Tension On The Belts By Honda Specs. I Had A 96 Accord I Had To Have The Timing Belt Replaced On And That Is What The Mechanic Told Me. I Would Replace The Water Pump At The Same Time And Save Not Having To Take It All Apart Again. I Have A 2002 Accord Now With 131,000 Miles And Need To Replace Mine Now. The Honda Dealership Said They Could Replace The Timing Belt And Water Pump For Around 500.00. Good Luck
Old 05-04-2007, 12:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It is not a bad job at all. The hardest part is getting the bolt out of the crank pulley. It can be a bear because it is very tight from the factory. Make sure you check the oilpump seal. They have a problem of walking out over time due to not enough of a lip to hold it in and it makes one heck of a mess and your lucky if you don't blow the motor. I have done several of these. Just put it on TDC before you take the belts off. You will replace 2 belts. One crank to cam and one counterbalance belt that has the oil pump on it. Have fun.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:44 PM

I did the son's 97 Civic last summer. And you're right, that crank bolt was the hardest part. His is a standard and we put in gear, and had someone stand on the brakes to keep the engine from turning while breaking the bolt loose.

This car is a automatic, I may make a screw in stop to go into the head, contacting a piston to keep the engine from rotating. Don't know if it's smart to put the kind of load on park that I used on the Civic's crank bolt.

RJR

Added in edit; No doubt, a piston block would work, but while driving to the cabin, I realized that park wouldn't see any load. The engine would just spin against the torque converter, no?