Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

9 April, 2010, Submarine Qualified - wear dolpins to work

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
9 April, 2010, Submarine Qualified - wear dolpins to work

saw this, sounds like a good fella:

Wear your Dolphins to work day

I'm a retired Master Chief. 20 years in the Submarine Force. A former COB, former Squadron CMC, 13 Years at sea. I loved standing Planesman watch, and I loved standing Dive. As I got really old, I realized that being a submariner (or a bubblehead or a squid or...) had significantly influenced my post Navy life. After I retired from the Canoe Club, I worked in the semiconductor industry , an industry that most people think of as being very high stress. But after being off depth while standing Dive going through the Straits of Gibraltar, I thought it was pretty easy going. I had a very successful second career, and retired from it to learn how to do oil paintings of ships and cars and airplanes . (I said I was really old.) One day I decided to have silver Dolphins embroidered on some of my shirts, and as time went by a number of guys commented on my fish. Many of them said their Dolphins were the only Navy memento they still had. Some mentioned the fun of going to the Submarine Birthday Ball. We often traded sea stories, and we each went our own way. Life as an ex-bubblehead geezer was pretty good.

One night I woke from a sound sleep to the thought " If we can have a "take your daughter to work day", why not have a "Wear your Dolphins to work day"? Earning Dolphins must be at least as hard a having a baby, right? So why are we hiding our achievement?" We were in the "Silent Service", not the "Hide it like we are ashamed Service". I know some sea lawyer is thinking that we aren't supposed to wear uniform insignia with civvies, but we're SUBMARINERS! We wore beards when the rest of the Navy was clean shaven! We wore Nikes as uniform of the day at sea. We hit golf ***** off the bow at the North Pole! We wore civilian clothes on watch for half-way day. We have friends with names like "Warhead"! If we can take pictures from inside Russian harbors, we can **** well wear our fish with civvies one day a year. Why not do it to celebrate the Submariner Force Birthday, April 11th? OK, the 11th is a Sunday in 2010, so lets make it Friday the 9th.

So, here is what I propose. On 9 April, 2010, all of the SubQual folks in the US of A should wear our Dolphins to work. I figure that if we each know 2-5 other submariners, and pass the word along for the next 10 months, we can get a pretty good number of fish in the workplace. Tell a few sea stories, let the skimmers and NQP's know how special our lives were, maybe just remember how smart and young and good looking we once were. (I'm still good looking) This is far in advance of the actual "National Wear Your Dolphins To Work Day", we need to have an internet version of a phone tree to remind us about it in April. So send an email to all the guys you know that served in the Submarine Force, and sweet talk them into digging out their old fish. If you want to, you can send an email to "OldBoomerCOB@Gmail.com so I can remind you next April. I don't want to sell any tee shirts, and I won't give away or sell your names, or steal your identity. All I want to do is get a bunch of guys proudly wearing their Dolphins on the 9th of April, and I want your help.

I already know I'm not the smartest guy on the planet, so if you have any suggestions for getting the word out, let me hear it.

Dennis
The Old Boomer COB

OldBoomerCOB@Gmail.com
Old 04-01-2010, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He does sound like a good guy, which is why I make my welds as good as they can be at work, since that is what we build. They always tell us think of the guys on the subs as we work.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:51 PM

No need to limit it to a single day, Master Chief .... you earned em ... WEAR EM WHENEVER YOU WANT !!!

However, I will fwd this to all my bubblehead friends.

Cheers,
PISTOL
Old 04-01-2010, 08:31 PM

I would forward this to my Dad's sub buddies, but they dont even have computers. Guess Ill have to get on the horn and pass it on.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:55 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I figure if they chose to serve on a boat that is made to sink they should wear them daily!!!
Old 04-02-2010, 02:47 PM
DTR Mom

Good find John! and heck yeah- Be Proud!! not just gay..(sorry, that army Navy rivalry again...)

funny to see the quiet guys in the back of the crowd, then when prompted, hear that they were submariners and extremely knoweldgable, funny and solid US of A good guys.

not like you were ever quiet master chief, LOL (or me, yeah yeah)

here's to you and the shop master wife! cheers