Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

9/11 Movie

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9/11 Movie

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12112802/site/newsweek/

What do yall think? Is this something that a movie should be made of, and would you go and see it?

I think this movie is a great thing, because I believe that most Americans that were not directly affected in their own minds have forgotten about the feelings they had that day.

This country was so united after 9/11, but look at us now. I think it is time for the country to remember...
Old 04-03-2006, 12:16 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The one on A&E was interesting. I can't get your MSN link to work, might be me.

I heard the other day that they were going to release something like two hundred 911 calls made from the buildings? That sounds like a dumb idea to me.

I see any movie on the topic (that doesn't offend the families of the passed) as a good thing. They could donate a portion of the film proceeds to the "Bin Ladin head on a stick" fund.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:24 PM

Sorry the link does not work for you P.J. I checked and it works.

The movie maker said it would donate 1/10 of the first weekend box office money to the flight 93 memorial fund.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:31 PM
P.J
Banned

Got it now.

That 10% could be a nice chunk. Figuring some moves do 30 Mil.

It's unclear whether Americans will pay $9.50 to hear it. The A&E cable movie "Flight 93" drew 5.9 million viewers in January, the highest-rated show in the channel's history.
That's the one I was talking about, that would have been a 50+ million dollar movie at the box office by those numbers.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Banned

Why would America not be ready to see it? I don't understand that. I think that it needs to be shown to remind us what can happen if we let our ports be controlled by other countries or if we continue to let illegal immigrants in or if we don't make our airports more secure. Yes this was a very terrible time in our history and I deeply sympathize for those directly affected by it but that's no reason to hide it from the public. Hiding this from the public would be like hiding vietnam or one of the other wars we've fought in. History is a valuable teaching tool and I believe that this is a major one. If it's done tastefully and accurately then I think that this will be a great film and will remind us once again about what can happen if we're not careful. Now I'm sure that the PC's and other crazy idiots out there will say that it causes racial profiling and it's to violent to watch and it causes violence and it shouldn't be shown to our kids and blah blah blah but screw em. This needs to be shown to remind us all. I can still remember everything I was doing when I heard about this. I can remember all of the feelings I had and still have to this day. How bout yall?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:40 PM
P.J
Banned

History is a valuable teaching tool
You got that right! Talk to a few 17 year olds, they have no clue on American History. Sad.
I hear you on the feelings thing too, I'll never forget it. Monday was my first day at a new job, tuesday was pretty scary. Scattered information on what exactally happend, everyone freaking out about what could be next, how many died, if we were at war, if so, with who? Sucked. I don't care to ever feel that way.I wanted nothing more than to get home and watch TV with my family, safe and sound in my house.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:43 PM

I guess it would depend on how it was made. If it is going to follow the actual events and facts of the disaster, then yeah I would think it should be made. However, if it is going to be largely fictional with some hollywood writer's fantasy of what the people had going on in their lives prior to the crash woven in with the actual events ... then no thanks . That screams disrespect to the dead and their families IMHO.

I do like the idea of a portion of the proceeds going to the Bin Laden head on a stick fund .... hahahaha, that's good stuff .

PISTOL
Old 04-03-2006, 12:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was peacefully asleep, Chief of Police called and said "Bill better turn on a TV and look at this" I was small town Mayor at the time. I saw it over and over, second plane as it hit, hundreds of faxes and FEMA communications, relocate weapons, prepair for the worst that thankfully never came, worry about the chemicals from Anniston base, work with the local Arab family trying to keep them from getting lynched over used car lot flags percevied as Arab flags. A peep into what could happen and may.... nah, why watch fiction, the real thing was enough. I have seen hundreds of documentaries... Now it is just politics, each side using it for their further benefit. One side is right, one side is wrong, America has major problems. This will probably be another quiet stab at placing blame.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
If it's done tastefully and accurately then I think that this will be a great film and will remind us once again about what can happen if we're not careful.
I agree pistol. As long as there isn't a hollywood spin on it then it should be a good movie. Otherwise it will be a big disrespect to the families and should be banned from theaters.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Haulin_in_Dixie
I was peacefully asleep, Chief of Police called and said "Bill better turn on a TV and look at this" I was small town Mayor at the time. I saw it over and over, second plane as it hit, hundreds of faxes and FEMA communications, relocate weapons, prepair for the worst that thankfully never came, worry about the chemicals from Anniston base, work with the local Arab family trying to keep them from getting lynched over used car lot flags percevied as Arab flags. A peep into what could happen and may.... nah, why watch fiction, the real thing was enough. I have seen hundreds of documentaries... Now it is just politics, each side using it for their further benefit. One side is right, one side is wrong, America has major problems. This will probably be another quiet stab at placing blame.
I agree with this statement. I don't think people need their hatred for arabs rekindled.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:41 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
I agree with this statement. I don't think people need their hatred for arabs rekindled.
I don't think thats what meant. But I see what you are saying also.

Actually, I don't think we would be too far out of line for us to have a health hatred for them (them being the kind of people who kill innocent folks that did nothing wrong on that day other than to show up at work)??

I read that HID was referring to the blame that has been tossed around politically here as far as it being someones fault that we weren't more prepared.

Is anyone disputing that it was young, radical, muslim males of Arab decent attacked us?

Pre-apology to anyone who is offended by my feelings.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by P.J
I don't think thats what meant. But I see what you are saying also.

Actually, I don't think we would be too far out of line for us to have a health hatred for them (them being the kind of people who kill innocent folks that did nothing wrong on that day other than to show up at work)??

I read that HID was referring to the blame that has been tossed around politically here as far as it being someones fault that we weren't more prepared.

Is anyone disputing that it was young, radical, muslim males of Arab decent attacked us?

Pre-apology to anyone who is offended by my feelings.
Well, hating a race(or religion) as a whole is wrong. It isn't fair to the normal ones. It's not their fault that their culture teaches hatred. Don't be racist, be prejudice against stupidity. However, if we killed off all of the stupid people there would only be about 10 million people left in the world.

EDIT: prejudice isn't the right word but I can't think of anything better. Stupid people suck.(that is kinda immature)
Old 04-04-2006, 01:01 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by P.J
I
Is anyone disputing that it was young, radical, muslim males of Arab decent attacked us?[/I]
Is anyone disputing it was middle class white americans who blew up over two hundred american citizens in Oklahoma City?( how many toddlers and infants???)
Is anyone disputing the fact that it was conservative white americans who
placed fellow americans in "relocation camps" during WWII??
etc., etc, etc.......

My point is hating a race or a people as a whole is wrong and not a trait we should aspire to.
We rant about the "hate spewing fanatics" while becoming just like them....
that makes no sense.
Hate people for what they do... not what they are.....
Old 04-04-2006, 01:23 AM

I was still in high school when this happened...woke up that morning, turned on the news saw that a plane had just crashed into the first tower and didnt really think much of it, just thought it was a freak accident, then went to school and after the first period was over a few of the faculty were standing around the tv in the student center watching and I still didnt think much of it, then during second period english one of my classmates, who was known for being late to class, came running into the room and saying that the second tower had been hit and that they are calling it a terrorist attack....the teacher told us we could go watch so we did, and for the rest of the day the whole school sat around the two tv's in the student center and watched it all..the school had never been that quiet before..it was a real eerie feeling...still gives me goosebumps to think about it...it felt like it did with the Oklahoma city bombing....I dont agree or disagree with this movie..it will be interesting to see how people react to it
Old 04-04-2006, 02:36 AM
Banned

I was sitting in math class waiting for it to start and we were watching the news when suddenly they popped onto the first plane hitting it and then the second. And then they collapsed. I was in shock and didn't know what to do or think. That is until some middle eastern kid said "Yay, we're winning." Talk about self control. It took everything I had not to reach across the desk and crack his skull.

Quick Reply: 9/11 Movie