Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

6x9 speaker questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 06:47 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6x9 speaker questions

I bought some boss speakers at a electronics super sale today. When I opened up the door panels, I noticed the amplifier mounted to the speaker. I didn't have time to ask about it here, so I went to Best Buy and asked about it. My question is when I buy a aftermarket head unit, will I have to bypass this amp? I am not very happy with the speakers, but I knew what I was buying and my factory 69's were blown. The box said they could handle 500 watts. If so, would they be better with a amp? Am I "clipping" them with my factory system? I am not wanting a high head system like some of you have, just something I can crank up and be clear.
Old 11-10-2003, 12:23 AM

Re:6x9 speaker questions

MOSTWANTED I assume you have the factory Infiniti system in your truck?? If so if and you want to do something quick, all you need to do is get a wiring harness from Crutchfield. I had one in my old 96 1500. It is a piece of cake. The harness enables you to bypass the factory Infiniti system and hook up other components without taking the whole car electrical system apart. All it may require is some wire nutting.

6x9s at 500 watts?? I wouldn't even try it. Car Audio is amusing when it comes to wattage. ProAudio and Hometheater enthusiasts laugh about that stuff all the time.

IMHOP if you want a nice sounding system with some nice sound,get an amp too.

Forget about factory head units. After market units have limited power to drive speakers. If I were you I would get maybe a 50x4 or 40x4 power amp. That would give you a nice clean sound that you could crank up without distortion. OHHH and it would not break the bank. Good luck and let us know how you do.

Tom
Old 11-10-2003, 12:42 AM

You can get that wiring harness from Auto Zone or Wal-Mart just look for a Dodge harness. If you do have the truck amp I would still get an amp to go along with it. If you don't have enough power going to them it might sound bad. It all depends on what you are trying to do with the speakers and the kind of music you listen to. Let me know if you need more help or have and questions.
Old 11-10-2003, 11:38 AM
Banned

I'd scrap that 6x9's and go for a set of component 6.5's with an amp and a new headunit. I've got Polk components up front, powered by an Alpine amp and an Alpine head unit. Talk about crisp, LOUD sound. Much better than the 6x9's I used to have.