Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

500000 mile engine 150000 mile truck

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500000 mile engine 150000 mile truck

I have my truck almost to 200000 miles and it seems like everything on the truck is starting to fall apart..... Rear springs are flattened out, ball joints are going bad, unit bearings sound like they are going bad, headlight switch went out tonight, power window switches are broken, paint is going bad on top of the cab....... is it just me or is this happening to everyone......

Just a rant about how I feel about these trucks......

Still runs like a recently violated ape.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by durasmack
I have my truck almost to 200000 miles and it seems like everything on the truck is starting to fall apart..... Rear springs are flattened out, ball joints are going bad, unit bearings sound like they are going bad, headlight switch went out tonight, power window switches are broken, paint is going bad on top of the cab....... is it just me or is this happening to everyone......

Just a rant about how I feel about these trucks......

Still runs like a recently violated ape.

Same here man

here is what ive done to mine as of late with 180K miles... Now ull see why i have no BOMB money

tailgate bezel
door hinges on both doors
door handle for driver side door
new door panel clips on both doors
repaired falling cloth ceiling on trucks
aligned three times in two years
headlight switch
power window switches on both doors (locks too)
redid falty wiring on both doors
battery cable terminals
rear springs are flattened out
new shocks (6 of them)
new coil springs
new suspension arms
new track bar and steering (soon to come)

umm yeah, million mile engine, 100K mile truck..

Rick
Old 08-07-2006, 11:10 PM

thats why i dont have a truck yet. most trucks around here (in my price range, 10K or so) have 175K+ miles, so i pass.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:16 AM

IMO, that stuff is to be expected to be replaced on any vehicle with that many miles. I promise if you go out, and price a new one, getting your current one fixed will look WAY better. I do hate the light switches though. I have had 2 in mine already in 30k miles.

Eric
Old 08-08-2006, 07:20 AM

Hmm...my 95 has 321K miles, no headlight switch, door hinges could use relpacing because they creak, but they aren't sloppy. Rebuilt the front end (2wd) at 220K, still good. The paint is junk, but it's a Dodge, most are! The only wiring I've had trouble with is the A/C bower would melt fuses...replaced the mini fuses with a maxi fuse, fixed!

I guess I've had good luck with mine...at leat I can get parts when I do need them! My Brothers 95 Chevy needs the main wiring harness on the engine...discontinued. None available at ANY dealer!

Chris
Old 08-08-2006, 07:34 AM

Thing that makes me mad here is I had an extra headlight switch from when my truck got broken into. Dodge put the harness back in differently and took the switch off of it.... I hadnt really put much thought into it until now

How dare I keep any spare parts. If I keep spare parts, I may not go to them to buy new parts.

Come to think of it, I wont go there anyway.....
Old 08-08-2006, 09:16 AM

What vehicle do you expect to go beyond 150k without regular maintenance items that wear like suspension components, latches, and such? Somethings always gonna break.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by durasmack
Thing that makes me mad here is I had an extra headlight switch from when my truck got broken into. Dodge put the harness back in differently and took the switch off of it.... I hadnt really put much thought into it until now

How dare I keep any spare parts. If I keep spare parts, I may not go to them to buy new parts.

Come to think of it, I wont go there anyway.....
Trey...I have a spare headlight switch here in the office...used, but works IIRC!!!

Chris
Old 08-08-2006, 11:41 AM

Yeah, I have a list, but my truck is in GREAT shape for being a 97...

I think like you most of the time though...
Old 08-08-2006, 12:44 PM

i find trucks with 300k on them all the time that are in pretty good shape. and these trucks worked most of there life. i can not whine about having to do small parts replacement, when i have a rig that will out last 2 or 3 to one anything on the road. but as i have gotten older i have gotten wiser. i do not run super swampers on anything i daily drive. i still have the 44s on my cruiser but it sees less than 100 miles of pavment. your decision to run those tires and tear up your frontend is your choice. hey i will admit they work well in the mud, but they eat ball joints, wheel bearings and steering boxs for lunch. most of the bad paint is from neglec, not taking care of the finish, as in waxing regular. and the pics of your truck have the rear springs looking fine. i have a 34' bumper pull 14k trailer that has been over 20k #s more than a few times and my springs are fine so i have no idea what could have happened to yours.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:59 PM

They are having this problem with one of the trucks where my son works. It's a Dodge with a Cummins in it with 400,000 miles on it. The motor still runs great, but the truck it's in is falling apart around it.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Timmay2
What vehicle do you expect to go beyond 150k without regular maintenance items that wear like suspension components, latches, and such? Somethings always gonna break.

I guess I have to agree with the above statement.
Old 08-08-2006, 07:53 PM

Like my grandpa always told me "a diesel engine will outlast the truck it is put in"
Old 08-09-2006, 08:27 PM

My 95 has 233,000 and has only required front end work. (Oh yeah, and a new transmission at 120,000, with no towing!) I'm not complaining, 11 year old truck and just doing ball joints, front end hubs and track bar isn't that bad. I use Luke's Link for the track bar, $80 is a heck of a lot better than the price of a new bar and his link is repairable. (I digress) My trucks in better shape than some of the competitors at that age. Paint is great, regular waxing, especially before a long backwoods trip fishing. My two cents...Hoppes
Old 08-09-2006, 11:47 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

Look at it this way, would you guys rather have it the other way around, good body, etc. with a 50,000 mile disposable engine, like everything else out there??

Hoppes, how can I read your message and your post count say zero??

Of course, it probably won't say zero, when you read this; but, it says zero now.

Quick Reply: 500000 mile engine 150000 mile truck