Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

The 3/10-3/16 Breakroom, Dentist and Barbershop

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 01:36 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
never said their water was good, they just never tested it.
Yeah, my parents never had theirs tested either. Since they are in their 80's it must not be too bad.

Originally Posted by scot pa
I also hate barb wire. And how good I have gotten at fixing it and tearing it out.
Funny how that works out.

Originally Posted by Totallyrad
Well you got me there. I didn't realize you had any left.
I had to get some off my wife.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:12 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bark;3173061/

TMI!!!!!

Morning all.

Suppossed to be sunny and near 80f today! then 50% chance of snow on Sunday... gotta love springtime weather..

Grabbing some coffee and out the door, have a good'un!
Old 03-15-2013, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Totallyrad
Hahahahaha......I'm suppose to have a 160 class excavator coming tomorrow so I will be having fun soon.
What does that mean? In MY day, a 160 class excavator would mean it weighed in the 160,000 pound area.

Originally Posted by Bark
Watchit Spanky! No one wants to read about your exploits with the wife!

Morning all.

Friday, March 15th.

1781 - During the American Revolution, the Battle of Guilford Courthouse took place in North Carolina. British General Cornwallis' 1,900 soldiers defeated an American force of 4,400.

1820 - Maine was admitted as the 23rd state of the Union.

1862 - General John Hunt Morgan began four days of raids near the city of Gallatin, TN.

1864 - Red River Campaign began as the Union forces reach Alexandria, LA.

1892 - Jesse W. Reno patented the Reno Inclined Elevator. It was the first escalator.

1916 - U.S. President Woodrow Wilson sent 12,000 troops, under General Pershing, over the border of Mexico to pursue bandit Pancho Villa. The mission failed.

1934 - Henry Ford restored the $5 a day wage.

1939 - German forces occupied Bohemia and Moravia, and part of Czechoslovakia.

1944 - Cassino, Italy, was destroyed by Allied bombing.

1955 - The U.S. Air Force unveiled a self-guided missile.

1990 - The Ford Explorer was introduced to the public.

1991 - Four Los Angeles police officers were indicted in the beating of Rodney King on March 3, 1991. (California)

2002 - Libyan Abdel Baset Ali Mohmed Al-Megrahi began his life sentence in a Scottish jail for his role in the bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 on December 21, 1988.

2002 - U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell told the Associated Press that the U.S. would stand by a 24-year pledge not to use nuclear arms against states that don't have them.

Today's thought:
I shall not sleep again until I find a cure for my insomnia.

C0ffee & ph00 are ready.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:29 AM
DTR Mom

Talking

Fiver, I thought that being such a tall fella- you'd have one of those step on tire irons for the RVs. put 200 (or your 170) pounds to good work.

T raddy, I know you are working hard but how has your experience with 1-800-DIG been? commercial diggers still have to go through the city/county for permitting, but what is best source for underground hazards?

Barky Bark, it is snowing here. I am going to hibernate next winter. Tell me again about Californ....yahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
fresh veggies.....ahhhhhhh .....flowers......walking......sun.....ahhhhh

saw son yesterday, got a real hug. had super excited dogs from seperate
facilities run to me like R/C cars, picking me out like contraband.
very good to spend time with them/owners. haven't been around them
for 5-8 years. Dogs do remember people who were good to them.

Sad when i see ignored large dogs....want to tie a note around these humans that reminds them: I want to play. I want to know you love me. I like fresh water. I want to run. I want to feel safe and I will be loyal.

we are hibernating today. weather report says we are boiling sap
tomorrow......maybe we will die it green....or boil corned beef n cabbage in it
Old 03-15-2013, 12:56 PM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Doggone, I've missed this weeks breakroom. Oh, well.....better luck next week huh? Made a few quick stops to skim through the posts but never had time to post myself. Lotsa laughs to be had reading through here this week.

Ya'll take care and we'll see ya'll next week.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:11 PM
DTR Mom

lotsa phone calls this week.

might be sailing a barge next month. 16x8x5 foot swim/spa has to be removed from a very fancy home on Lake Ontario. not many options.
straight out onto lawn, on dock and into 20 feet of water. tow it to public access 1/4 mile in Bay. oh Gilligan?!...........
Old 03-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Finally slowing down enough to see if anyone made it out of bed this morning. No one up when I passed thru, so kept going. Got a lot done today - - feel better over that but had bad news from the paver plant. Going to be another two weeks before they will be having another run of our choice of paver. GGGRRRR

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
Fiver, I thought that being such a tall fella- you'd have one of those step on tire irons for the RVs. put 200 (or your 170) pounds to good work.

Tell me again about Californ....yahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Hey I do - - - I did - - - all 195 (your were close). Idiots that put the wheels back on obviously used impact wrench all the way rather than torque the last turn. If they don't know what they are doing, don't do it on my equipment. Taking it back by them next time I hook up and make them loosen them with the impact, then torque them correctly.

lotsa phone calls this week.

might be sailing a barge next month. 16x8x5 foot swim/spa has to be removed from a very fancy home on Lake Ontario. . . . . tow it to public access 1/4 mile in Bay. oh Gilligan?!...........
Oh my gosh, I had the revelation - - boat sunk while towing swimming pool - - waves washed over sides, sank the pool which sank the boat. Only one missing person at this moment. .................................sounds like something Bark would do. ..............

Gorgeous day down this way today, orchids loved it. Low 80's in another day or two. Tough.

OK, grabbing a ph00 and out of here.

Bob
Old 03-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Greetings from yet another dump of snow and more on the way.
Flood risk is now critical here...better get the Minnow patched.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. I am going to clean up my workbench.
I managed to get my new front steering stabalizer on the truck with very little pain the other day so I decided its time to clean the truck, strip the wax, put a new coat on...took me 6 hrs. Then I did the same to my Wife's Jeep...took me 3.5 hrs.

Worked on range of motion the past few days. Almost at full extension above, in front and out to the side but there is a sticking point in there. Each day I get a bit further past that point.

Hopefully MexiStan made it to work on time.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:06 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Howdy Scotty

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
TMI!!!!!
Originally Posted by chaikwa
Watchit Spanky! No one wants to read about your exploits with the wife!
Hmm, Just now noticed that exploits and failures had the same amount of letters in them.

Barky Bark, it is snowing here. I am going to hibernate next winter.
Six more days than its picking tangerines and oranges off the trees. I wont even mind mowing again.

Originally Posted by FiverBob
..sounds like something Bark would do.
Bark doesn't do boats anymore. Oh yeah, one of the last commercial trips I was on we rescued five people in a zodiac.
They got excited and dragged a halibut over the front with a gaff.
12 miles off shore with only two chambers left and the engine underwater.
Wife of the guy who gaffed the zodiac wanted to leave her hubby behind.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:13 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bark
Hmm, Just now noticed that exploits and failures had the same amount of letters in them.
Do you walk to work or carry a lunch?

Evening all.

Heidi, I think each state has their own agency to call when you're opening the ground. In Mass & NH it's DigSafe. Here in Michigan it's MissDigg. I think Maine has DigME. They're all private entities as far as I know and the utility companies have to pay to belong to them. If they don't pay, their utility lines don't get marked because the private entity has no record or knowledge of them. I tore up a nitrogen charged, 4" cable conduit once when I was digging a foundation hole about a mile into the woods. I had called DigSafe and they informed me there were no underground utilities even at the street where I made the driveway cut. The line I hit was owned by the Air Force and was the unused but still monitored data line from Pease Air Base in Portsmouth NH to the South Weymouth Naval Air Station in Mass. They noticed a drop in pressure and within about 30 minutes were in the woods asking me what I was doing.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Do you walk to work or carry a lunch?
I tore up a nitrogen charged, 4" cable conduit once when I was digging a foundation hole about a mile into the woods.
That's an interesting question....

Wow, good thing that wasn't on you. Bet it cost them a bundle to fix.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Hey all y'all, I am just doing a bit of a quick check in. Kinda like Scotty, we are in the middle of a 5 day snow and cold pattern. We had a bit of melting late last week and earlier this week but Mother Nature is loading us up again. Unfortunately for Scotty, as bad as it gets here, he is downhill from me. There is a reason the big river 2 hrs drive north of me is called the 'North Saskatchewan River'. The reason - it flows to northern Saskatchewan. There are a couple of spots on our road and one small spot in my fields that I would describe as low-lying but I got lucky when I bought my place (and YES, it is/was luck) I live where the locals call 'The Hill'. Now, let's be honest, I live on the edge of the prairies, I am about 20 ft higher than local farms, but 20 feet is pretty darn good. If you go about 5 miles south there is a 150ft drop to the Bow River Valley. The Bow River is the major river in these parts. It flows through downtown Banff, the downtown Calgary, then it heads south to the southern edge of Calgary and then it heads straight east (about 5 miles south of my place) for about 100 miles. Once it gets out east near Medicine Hat, Alberta it heads north/east through Saskatchewan and Manitoba to Hudson's Bay.

So, the short version of this long story is, I will probably have a raging waterflow between the house and the barn when the spring runoff happens, and I may be stranded at home for a day or two due to a flooded out road BUT there will be thousands of people downstream of me who either get flooded in the spring (Scotty) or who don't have enough moisture to grow even a simple crop like hay (Chrisreyn). They are all WAY worse off than I am going to be and for that, I am truly thankfull.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:25 PM
DTR Mom

Talking

Count the days Bark. never mind the whimpering from the East....

yup, I hear ya on the lug nut weld, Fiver. three times I have lost the studs that have to be back ordered due to "here we will mount the tires for ya" places. simple thing that can cost a lot. good reason to steam

Scott, yes, found that out. elec co sent out a sub contractor who used GPR.
he flagged stuff. .....client was hoping he could find a lost coffee can of coins his dad buried. lot of trouble for 15 minutes of machine work IMHO.

Attention Canadiens: Fear not! A family evacuation tub is available for your emergency needs! 16x8x5 even fits fido! Call Now! Operators standing by......shipping will be in about three weeks.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:39 AM
Administrator

Ta-daaaa!
Name:  psycho_clown.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  21.2 KB

If I can't sleep, YOU can't sleep!

Saturday, March 16th.

1521 - Portuguese navigator Ferdinand Magellan reached the Philippines. He was killed the next month by natives. Now THAT'S immigration control!

1621 - Samoset walked into the settlement of Plymouth Colony, later Plymouth, MA. Samoset was a native from the Monhegan tribe in Maine who spoke English. He greeted the Pilgrims by saying, "Welcome, Englishmen! My name is Samoset."

1802 - The U.S. Congress established the West Point Military Academy in New York.

1836 - The Republic of Texas approved a constitution.

1871 - The State of Delaware enacted the first fertilizer law.

1882 - The U.S. Senate approved a treaty allowing the United States to join the Red Cross.

1913 - The 15,000-ton battleship Pennsylvania was launched at Newport News, VA.

1935 - Adolf Hitler ordered a German rearmament and violated the Versailles Treaty.

1939 - Germany occupied the rest of Czechoslovakia.

1945 - Iwo Jima was declared secure by the Allies. However, small pockets of Japanese resistance still existed.

1968 - U.S. troops in Vietnam destroyed a village consisting mostly of women and children. The event is known as the My-Lai massacre.

1988 - Indictments were issued for Lt. Colonel Oliver North, Vice Admiral John Poindexter of the National Security Council, and two others for their involvement in the Iran-Contra affair.

1988 - Mickey Thompson and his wife Trudy were shot to death in their driveway. Thompson, known as the "Speed King," set nearly 500 auto speed endurance records including being the first person to travel more than 400 mph on land.

1995 - NASA astronaut Norman Thagard became the first American to visit the Russian space station Mir.

Today's thought:
When you are going thru something difficult and wonder where God is, remember, the teacher is always quiet during a test.

Coffee's on! Super double caffeine power-brew!
Old 03-16-2013, 04:50 AM
Administrator

Relative of yours Bark?

Quick Reply: The 3/10-3/16 Breakroom, Dentist and Barbershop