Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

1997 1500 318 Cheap performance

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 05:29 PM
Muted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 1500 318 Cheap performance

What can be done to this truck for cheap horsepower? This is my truck and yes i got the HP bug. Also with my truck, at WOT it will not shift into O/D, i have to let off to 3/4 throttle to get it to go in, is there any way to bypass this?

Cody
Old 10-31-2005, 11:52 PM

....not exactly the cheapest mod, but definately worth looking into, would be changing differential gears. You can make it quicker off the line ... top end will suffer, but it's fun from the stoplight.

Free-flow exhaust with a performance catalytic converter.

PISTOL
Old 11-01-2005, 12:02 AM

A single straight pipe and a pair of DCTD door stickers will scare off most ricers. haha
Old 11-01-2005, 10:28 AM

free horsepower = less weight
Is this a daily driver? if not cut the inner fender wells out, shell the bed, replace seat(s) with racing buckets. pretty much loss anything not used. and than some
Old 11-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Muted User

This is a daily driver so some things need to stay. I do have a High Flow CAT and a CAT back Dual Exhaust. I was just wondering. Does anyone know about that crazy O/D oddysey? Also wouldnt a Cam be a little cheaper than gears.

More stats on my truck: 4X4, auto, ext. cab long bed.

The torque off the line is always good but i want good top end also. But the overdrive thing makes me mad considering i cant get it to top out in 4 th gear.

thanks for all your ideas and keep'em coming.
Cody
Old 11-01-2005, 11:49 AM
Muted User

What kind of tranny is in my truck a 46RE RH or what? Just wondering thinking about putting a shift kit in it.

Cody
Old 11-01-2005, 12:39 PM

straight pipe the thing ......just be extremely careful where u rip it...and keep ur mouth shut about it

of course i would never condone that kinda activity
Old 11-01-2005, 10:17 PM

Ok, since it is a 97, it has the 46re. First thing I would do is take it to a tranny man, get him to ride in it, and see what he has to say. Now, I hope you do know that these trucks arent known for good trannies, so I'd be setting money aside for a new tranny/rebuilt tranny. Also, while its right there in his shop, get him to put a tranny cooler on it(there is a stock one, but run another one too, just to be sure), and go ahead and put a shift kit in it. That will help out the tranny a little.

Deeper rear-end gears(4,10's if you're running stock sized tires, if you were running anything from a 33 up, I'd go 4.56's) will also take the strain off the tranny, therefore helping it to live longer. The new gears will also give you more off-the-line juice too.

Ok, since the driveline part has been kinda taken care of, lets get to engine stuff. Now, if it were me, and I had money to spend on my gasser, I'd put me an M1 intake manifold(around $400), an K&N open circular filter(cold air kits are crap for these trucks), a set of good-quality headers, and true duals. I've got true duals on mine, with just glasspacks, and it sounds good, and looks good. I gained some high-end hp by doing the straight pipes, but lost a little bit of low-end power, but truely, its not that bad at all. That would open up the intake and exhaust.

If you're really serious, I'd get me a cam, and a new computer, and do some work on the heads(port and polish). But, by this time, you're still going to have a 318, so it cant get but so much power. Maybe if you go with a superchargrer system, thats about it.

Good luck in your journey to gas-guzzling performance
Old 11-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Banned

www.abhunter.com

searck for the 10k mod... It advances timing.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:14 PM
Muted User

I couldnt find anything on there about that. I know i go to a tech school and should know but what is advanced timing suppose to do?

Cody
Old 11-02-2005, 10:56 PM

I agree with Greenhornet. Besides what he said, the one thing I would add is a high flow throttle body (3 options... home ported for free, modified stock TB from FastMan, or a billet aluminum from F&B). So the order I would do mods is:

- Air filter (the open K&N air filter is a good choice)
- TB
- Headers
- M1 2bbl manifold
- MP PCM (if you don't mind having to run premium)

Since you already have a high flow cat and a cat back you're fine there unless you just want to change the sound or something. One thing... do NOT bother with a cam. They don't make any more power in the Magnums since the computers don't know what to do with them.

If you have Excel, I can send you a spreadsheet that I have of like 12 different dyno runs on 360's (Dakota R/Ts) and you can see the effect of various mods. You can usually gain big power (30 - 40 rwhp) with the first couple mods and then it rapidly becomes the point of diminishing returns.

If you need links to any parts let me know...

Travis
Old 11-02-2005, 11:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cumminsdieselboy
I couldnt find anything on there about that. I know i go to a tech school and should know but what is advanced timing suppose to do?

Cody
http://p081.ezboard.com/ffritzsrampa...icID=587.topic

I'm not sure exactly how it works... But it does... I ran it for almost 40k on my 96 318 4x4... But it also adds fuel which i forgot to mention.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:37 PM

I personally dont agree with the IAT mod, there have been some guys on other websites that have tried it, logged engine paramters on their comp, etc. It really doenst do much work, most people just take them off. Now, you can move the IAT sensor to the air intake tube, which will give it a true reading on the coldness of the incoming air, moreso than running a resistor to it. The computer read-outs other guys have done have revealed to me that you can EASILY screw it up, and make it read wayyy too cool. JUST DONT MESS WITH IT.

Cuda, I forgot about the throttle body, Fastmans are supposed to be good, one of these days I'm going to break down and get me a 52mm for my 360, but for the 318 they recommend the 50mm(if it were me with a 318 I'd run a 52mm hehe).

Jet Chips are crap too, dont get one. Since it is a 97, they do have a hypertech programmer for it. Also, with that programmer, you can adjust for different size tires and so on, which will help you out if you ever go to larger tires. Throttle body spacers are crap too, dont waste your money.

Another thing that I've heard of some guys having problems with is the timing chains on these trucks, I need to change mine, but dont feel like it right now(maybe after I get my car on the road). The chain has nylon sprokets, and the nylon wears out. Get you a good double roller chain from somewhere, and you wont have to worry about it again for as long as the engine lasts.

Cumminsdieselboy, I'm going to pm you some links of stuff.