Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

1914 colt 1911 .45

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1914 colt 1911 .45

After reading some gun posts if figured id ask you guys about a gun my brother just found.
While some HVAC guys were working on his heater in his newly purchased house they found a gun behind it wrapped in cloth. Gave it to him and its a 1914 colt government 1911 .45. It has surface rust on one side and it looks worn on those notches on the slide just above the trigger.
I would think this gun is worth quite a bit if restored. Should he send it to Colt to be restored? Ive heard that we should tell Colt that if they have to replace the frame, not to do it in order to keep origonal serial numbers. How much would a restoration range in cost? I dont think it would take to much to get it looking good again. Thanks -Jake
Old 04-19-2004, 11:31 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
It may be of more value in origional un-restored condition than restored... Be very careful how you proceed. Have it appraised before doing anything.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:51 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Agreed, proceed with caution and only fix what must be fixed for collectible value. I do restoration on many old firearms, send me some pics i will give you an idea.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:23 AM

Okay, ill see if i can get some pics of it this weekend. Thanks for the input guys!
Old 04-20-2004, 07:12 AM

Wow...

The first thought that comes to my mind is how in the world could someone leave a gun like that behind? I know some people have thier limitations, but who leaves thier valuables like that wrapped in a cloth and just laying around? Man I would have that gun wrapped up, cleaned up, and locked up if it had been mine.

Could it have been ditched by some shady movers???? I watch too much CSI......

THat was very honest of the HVAC guys to give it to you. Shows you have some great guys working for you. In the sprit of honesty, would you consider calling up the previous homeowner, and offering them a chance to claim "an item" they could have left behind? I mean hey, the HVAC guys were nice enough to do it for you.

But then again,,,,this gun could have history, and you could bring more trouble that way. So you could just sit on it..........

my dad tells me I think too much....lol
Old 04-20-2004, 07:27 AM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
I dunno if this is applicable in the US, but over here I'd run the serial number with a law enforcement agency- This is to be shure that the gun isn't being looked for as being used in a crime. Also to make your ownership of the gun uncontestable. As said that would be the way to do it in Austria, I'm shure there are people on this board who will know the applicable regulation in your neck of the woods.
I second the notion to keep the gun as is as much as possible, or at least to restore it caringly without just replacing the whole stuff with new parts.

Just my 2c

AlpineRAM
Old 04-20-2004, 07:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does the pistol have U.S. government markings? Wondering if could have been a war trophy.

MikeyB
Old 04-20-2004, 07:47 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I would hang onto that gun. Your brother now has a gun that no government agency has on file. That should be worth a heck of a lot more to him than what the gun would bring if he sold it.
Old 04-20-2004, 08:17 PM

Well, i could run the numbers, but what if they did find that something happened in 1971 that "could" have been related to the gun? Then they will take it, and either some guy at the station just got a nice gun, or they might destroy it..It is now in safe hands as a collectable and i realy take value in older guns and such. An older couple lived in the house before my brother and before that im not sure, but if they forgot about it and left it behind, it obviously didnt mean much to them.
Registering your weapon is your choice in the US. I personaly dont because what happens when the govt decides to ban all arms? All they have to do then is look down the list of registered weapons and have at it.
I know what i have, and i think it is a very special gun, not realy in value, but in my mind it is realy meaningful to have a piece of history.
The gun says goverenment, or govt issue, i cant remember (its not here with me). Ill try to get yall some pics so you can see it. Remeber, all of the above is personal opinion...Thanks guys -Jake
Old 04-20-2004, 08:21 PM

And yes, Palmetto_kid, you do think too much
Old 04-20-2004, 08:55 PM

If you do take pictures of it to post on the internet PLEASE cover up the serial numbers for your own privacy and safety. There are some bad actors out there who could cause you some greif.
Old 04-20-2004, 09:27 PM

You know longdude, i was thinking that same exact thing about 5mins before reading this, smart idea Thanks for lookin out!
Old 04-20-2004, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by longdude
If you do take pictures of it to post on the internet PLEASE cover up the serial numbers for your own privacy and safety. There are some bad actors out there who could cause you some greif.
All you need to divulge are the first couple of digits so we can figure out what batch it's from.

Edit: How old was the furnace? That should give you an idea of how long the pistol's been there.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:55 PM

Any unsolved murders or robberies in your town?

Seems very strange to find a pistol in that location.

From you description, sounds like it was there for awhile.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:47 PM

I know the house is about twenty years old, so i guess not very long for that old of a gun.
PeteRR, how many of the first digits do i need?
Theres a million different reasons why it could have been back there, maby trying to hide it from the kids, wife , who knows.

Quick Reply: 1914 colt 1911 .45