Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

12 volt DC and relays?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 08:54 PM
SWC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
12 volt DC and relays?

Not sure where to put this question, so admins if this ain't the right spot move it where it belongs.
I want to turn on and control my truck clearance lights with the dash switch as well as independently. I know I can do this using 2 relays and using a single pole double throw on-off-on switch. Is there a way to do this with one relay and switch? With my limited understanding of 12 DC I have not been able to think this through.
I know I can experiment with this and after some blown fuses, hopefully no fires, I could once again pay my tuition and go to the University of Hard Knocks and get another PHD (Piled Higher & Deeper). But if someone has some enlightenment on this topic I will gladly listen and hopefully learn!
Thanks
Stan
Old 12-04-2011, 09:59 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
You basically need to cross them over so when one switch is on, the other turns the relay off from the first switch.

There has got to be an easier way to do this though.

Why getting so complicated with clearance lights?
Old 12-04-2011, 10:26 PM
SWC

My desire to do things my way. Much to my wife's dismay. And I can't understand it!
What I am trying to do is to signal truckers without turning the headlights on and off or use 4 way flashers.
Thanks
Stan
Old 12-04-2011, 10:49 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
alrighty

Use a 3 position switch, on/off/on. Bring the power from a fused ignition source to one end terminal position. Bring the power from the clearance light wire on the dash switch to the other end terminal position. Then take your trigger wire for your relay from pin 86 on the relay, to the center terminal position on your three way switch.

This means. In the middle position, you don't get anything, and the other two will either give you lights when the key is on, or lights with the normal light switch in the opposite position.

one switch, one relay, lights two different ways.... for whatever reason.

The other way to do it, is simply this, if you want a momentary interruption.

Run the clearance light wire from your headlight switch, to a normally closed momentary switch on the dash, then run a wire from that switch to your relay. You then turn your lights on normally, but if you depress the momentary switch, it opens the circuit, causing the lights to blink.

Either way should work.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by SWC
My desire to do things my way. Much to my wife's dismay. And I can't understand it!
What I am trying to do is to signal truckers without turning the headlights on and off or use 4 way flashers.
Thanks
Stan
I hear ya on that one!

I think pind covered what I was trying to think out!!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:55 PM
SWC

Pind and SIXSLUG, thanks.
What I was thinking of was making this process more complicated then necessary.
Great wealth of knowledge on site, and then there is me!
Thanks again.
Stan