Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

10" subs

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10" subs

Hey all. I have 2 JL 10w6 in my truck. Ive had them for about 4 years now. I just got back from a short road trip this weekend, and both subs are hashed... Outsides totally blown out. Im pushing these with a Pioneer premere deck and a rockford 500s amp. I took it to a local stereo shop and the guy said that it was just their time to go. 4 years is a long time... What do you all think? Where is the best place to get some replacements? He wanted to sell me some memphis 10s or something for 125 a piece. Id like to stay with the jl though. Nice subs. Thanks for all input. Sorry for the long post...
Old 09-18-2006, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sumner
Hey all. I have 2 JL 10w6 in my truck. Ive had them for about 4 years now. I just got back from a short road trip this weekend, and both subs are hashed... Outsides totally blown out. Im pushing these with a Pioneer premere deck and a rockford 500s amp. I took it to a local stereo shop and the guy said that it was just their time to go. 4 years is a long time... What do you all think? Where is the best place to get some replacements? He wanted to sell me some memphis 10s or something for 125 a piece. Id like to stay with the jl though. Nice subs. Thanks for all input. Sorry for the long post...
JLs

are darn good audio, im running some eclipse audio in my truck right now, and they thump like no ones business, im runnin about 2500 watts of stereo total and they do hold up well, I have a 400 watt fosgate for tweeters, a pair of 1000 watt amps (one for each sub) and the head deck.... so im at about 2500 watts or so...

If u can tho, add some phoenix gold capacitors, monster cable, and finally some MB quartz tweeters to the system with ur subs and it will sound much better...

Rick
Old 09-18-2006, 09:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What size enclosure you have those JLs in?
W6s are a above average sub and shouldnt have torn apart unless you have them in a enclosure that allows them to over extend or your sending a junk signal to them or they got wet or the sun was on them allot or...? The amp you have is really only enough for one sub so do you have the gain set up all the way with the bass boost on? There is a lot more to it than it seems but IMO that salesman was "SNOWIN YA" when he told you thats all you should get for life out of them. I have a set of old Soundstream Velvet Hammers that have thumped pretty much every day for the last 15 years.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:10 PM
Banned

I agree. I'm going on 3 years of rough use on my audiobahn's with no issues. Granted they are 12's and a high excursion but I'm not looking for them to blow anytime soon. I do have 1500w mono ch amp running both subs (I really need a bigger amp though). One of the worst things you can do for a sub is under power it. Cause then you gotta turn stuff way up and that's when you get into distortion and cruddy signal.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:31 AM
KVD

Can yal hear yals thump otuside the truck while runnin??

We put a set of P1s fosgates in my buddies 99 with a 500 watt fosgate amp (not sure what series, it's been a while). He got a good fibergalss box, put them under he rear seat. We got everything hooked up and they sound really good, I mean they weren't no comp speakers but for 10s and 500 watt amp they had a good thump to them and sounded good.

Then we cranked the truck up (he just put 4 inch exhaust on his truck) and with it all the way up, all the doors open you coul djust barely hear the the speakers over the exhaust outside the truck about 4 feet away.

I laughed cause I ant much on all that kind of stuff, I would have took the 1k and got some injectors or a turbo of somethin.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:58 AM
Banned

I have 3-10" rockford P2's with a 2000 watt 5 Channel Soundstream amp and them suckers will rattle your brain and then some. I've never been fan of Rockfords subs, but these were the only ones I could fit in the box I had......and so far I've been extremely impressed.

Then I have a Rockford 800 watt amp running my Alpine Type R components........6.5" mid and tweeters.

And with just my windows open and the truck running, your can hear that thing thumping HARD from outside. Rattles all the sheet metal on my dads shop sitting about 20 yards away!!!!!

~Nick