Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

1 Round Bale = XX Square Bales

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
I have a question for you hay folks, since there seems to be a bunch of you on this thread. The owner of the company I work for came down and asked me this a little while ago since I'm one of the only 1/2 to 3/4 agricultural individuals in the company. He has 50 acres of pasture and some guy wants to rent it, spray it for weeds, and bale it next year. Do any of you have any idea what pasture land typically leases for to be managed and cut for hay? I haven't leased any land nor have I leased any of my own land to someone else, so I really have no idea. I know it will depend on the area and grass and all the other factors, but some type of baseline would help out. Any ideas?
around here the owner sprays/fertalizes and what ever else is needed and then they cut it on the halves, sence fuel is so high some cutters want 60% so that's a good place to start
Old 08-15-2006, 01:56 PM

That's about the same here. Halves. Although some guys are trying to get 2/3rds. I had a guy do some land for me and he charged $13.00 a bale. That's about .50 a bale over doing it on halves.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:20 AM

What guys do around here on hay ground is land owner gets 1/3 of crop and 1/3 of expense(fertilizer). The man with the equipment pays all his cost, fuel, tires, repairs, etc.

Then if the landowner chooses, he can sell his share back to the harvestor, or to someone else--it's his crop.

Oh, those bales are big round last years hay. He had about 70 bales, plus 55 more from this season and he sold his cattle except for 6 heifers. Their wrapped with a Vermeer Baler, nice and tight!!

Don't have to worry about too much loss of hay if bales are wrapped with twine at least every 4" across the entire bale. Beside, we haven't had an abundance of rain lately!!

You can go on the net and find studies of farming cost and find studies (Univ. of Mo, for one) showing if your hay is wrapped in tight bales and 4" or closer twine it is not economically feasible to build a barn to store it in.

Also, method of storing hay is important. Need to push bales end to end tight with tractor and leave at least 2 feet between rows for runoff and ventilation, and only stack upwards if all the bales are covered with a tarp. Have hay on drainage material or in an area that does not hold water.