Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

1 Round Bale = XX Square Bales

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 02:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by D2 Cat
Dodgeguy,
Can't you get a rope, come-a-long, chain or something around one of those big bales and pull it off your truck, or trailer with another vehicle, or wrap the rope around a tree and drive off? Those babys get a flat spot from setting and you're defying gravity moving it that way!!
Why not just perform the combat offload maneuver?

Sounds perfect for round bales - but ya have to have good brakes!
Old 08-13-2006, 02:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Charlie - do you want me to find out about getting you round bales from the ranch? It's nigh on 400 acres and they bale hundreds every year, I used to buy it for my horses back in the day. Drought's killed us this year, $1000's of plugs got burnt up this spring right in front of the shop, usually I can see dozens of bales scattered about the field...
Old 08-13-2006, 04:22 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XLR8R
Hey Charlie - do you want me to find out about getting you round bales from the ranch? It's nigh on 400 acres and they bale hundreds every year, I used to buy it for my horses back in the day. Drought's killed us this year, $1000's of plugs got burnt up this spring right in front of the shop, usually I can see dozens of bales scattered about the field...
Sure. What kind of hay is it _____looking for fertilized coastal.

Pardon my typing, but the PC is still kinda messed up.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:13 PM

Received 93 Likes on 73 Posts

I am gonna stick this in here, as it goes along with the hay discussion.

In the last couple of years, there have been three deaths in my area, caused by rolled hay, not counting the wrecks that are caused by the leavings of rolled hay that is hauled on public highways.

One guy had a roll on a front-end loader bucket.

He raised the loader too high, and the roll rolled down the loader frame, across the hood, pinning him on the tractor seat, underneath.

One boy was pegging one of those huge tarps over a pile of rolls, just walking around the bottom, stretching the tarp to stakes.

A roll shifted and fell on top of him, smothering him to death.

Another guy was on the far side of a load of rolls when the tractor operator attempted to spear one of the top rolls.

It scooted off the far side of the trailer, crushing the guy on the ground.

The tractor operator simply went ahead un-loading, saving the lost roll for last, before he knew what had happened.

If one of those huge rolls gets on top of something, nothing short of a loader is going to get it off.

Rolled hay is quite dangerous and needs to be respected.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got in an hour ago. Bought 40 round bales of last years brome, $8 each! Four mile haul. I'm guessing 1100-1200# each.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Banned

it is very interesting reading how everyone does their ranching across the country. i used to live in beaver ok, and worked out there taking care of a couple hundred head of cattle. we would feed whatever we had to get fill em up. sometimes if we had a bad wheat crop we'd bail it, or the government would open up the CRP for us to bail. if they are filled up they are happy. supplement the nutrient with cake. i think its called cubes in other parts, but depending on what you get it seems to keep em healthy. i believe we figured 2# a head, and 1 small square of alfalfa per every 10 head also. just my .02. good luck w/ the winter to all yall
Old 08-15-2006, 09:39 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by D2 Cat
I just got in an hour ago. Bought 40 round bales of last years brome, $8 each! Four mile haul. I'm guessing 1100-1200# each.
Wow...I don't think I've hauled anything that was less than $50/bale this year. Except for stuff we've bought off of family.

Going to have to start heading north.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
I second the motion!

This is a little off the subject, but while in Virginia Beach today I saw a bumper sticker that said "Meat is Murder". I wish I had my truck and not this stupid imported retal car...I would have had a serious attach of SMOKE right in front of those stupid 's. Sorry, had to vent. I raise cattle.
you still in the area? PETA has a corporate building in Norfolk. those people are messed up!
Old 08-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by misplacedtxn
you still in the area? PETA has a corporate building in Norfolk. those people are messed up!
Negative, I'm back in Stillwater, OK...where poeple know what to do with animals....EAT 'EM! We ain't at the top of the food chain because we grew up eating freakin' lettuce! I actually have a dead humming bird laying on my desk that I found in my shop yesterday. It must have got trapped in there and died of heat stroke. I wonder if those freaks want to come have a funeral for it and say a little prayer....I'm so mean....what a jerk I am!
Old 08-15-2006, 10:39 AM

I cant wait to get back down south. Virginia is not too bad once you get out of this area, but its time to go!! I'll be outta here soon
Old 08-15-2006, 12:55 PM

virginia is great once you get 60 miles any direction from norfolk.
but i can't see how anyone could sell round bales at 8 buck each. my buddie figured it up and it was costing him 14 bucks each to bale it.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by gunracer1
virginia is great once you get 60 miles any direction from norfolk.
but i can't see how anyone could sell round bales at 8 buck each. my buddie figured it up and it was costing him 14 bucks each to bale it.
I'd be willing to bet you mean small square bales for $8 each......rounds are going from $80 to $120 down here.

edit: O, I see where you got that. Note is was LAST YEARS hay. I guess taking $8 each for them is better than burning them eventually.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:02 PM

I bet he's not. Last years hay is always sold cheap if you can find it around here.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
I'd be willing to bet you mean small square bales for $8 each......rounds are going from $80 to $120 down here.

edit: O, I see where you got that. Note is was LAST YEARS hay. I guess taking $8 each for them is better than burning them eventually.
40 ROUND bales that weigh over half ton a peice. lol i doubt they are square. and 8 bucks a piece is crazy cheap. it must have gotten wet and someone needs it out of there!
Old 08-15-2006, 01:07 PM
Banned

Thread Hi-Jack Alert!!!

I have a question for you hay folks, since there seems to be a bunch of you on this thread. The owner of the company I work for came down and asked me this a little while ago since I'm one of the only 1/2 to 3/4 agricultural individuals in the company. He has 50 acres of pasture and some guy wants to rent it, spray it for weeds, and bale it next year. Do any of you have any idea what pasture land typically leases for to be managed and cut for hay? I haven't leased any land nor have I leased any of my own land to someone else, so I really have no idea. I know it will depend on the area and grass and all the other factors, but some type of baseline would help out. Any ideas?

Quick Reply: 1 Round Bale = XX Square Bales