Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

1.6 vw diesel

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1.6 vw diesel

A while back I read where someone installed a set of studs on a 1.6 diesel and had no more head gasket problems. I would like to buy a set of the studs and find out any info that I can on the subject. The engine is a 81 if anyone can help. Can I install the studs if I find some one at a time like the Cummins and not pull the head? What about a second or third retorque ?Thanks for any insight. jimk
Old 06-13-2005, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only things that cause headgasket problems on vw diesels is overheating and people re-using the head bolts. The head bolts are 1 time, stretch bolt.
Something I always did on my Diesel rabbit was, I installed a toggle switch to manually turn on the fans, especially in stop and go, climbing hills and drive-thrus. The fans usually kick on about the 3/4 mark if I'm not mistaken.
One other problem I just thought of, is, the wrong headgasket, thickness installed on them. I hope that helps.