Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

04-05 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 12:10 PM

Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
04-05 Suburban

Anyone have any knowledge about the 04-05 Suburbans? Either Chev or GMC. Getting rid of our 99 tahoe to upgrade for a new child. Thanks, Kurt
Old 05-31-2009, 12:44 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From what I've seen being at the caddy dealer for many years was we seldom had problems from the escalade with the 6.0 motor in them. I don't even recall many problems out of the transmission. If you happen to get the chevy with the 4 wheel drive I do remember problems out of the front end. I can't remember if it was a recall or what but they would get to roaring and when pulled apart it would have eaten the ring/pinion.

I've seen small problems with the ac. Done compressors, high pressure switch would leak and have had some door motor problems under the dash but all could be replaced fairly easy. The ones on the actuall airbox under the dash were a bit more tricky and gm said you had to pull the dash, that is hogwash. Could be done from above but tricky and required patience. I had one in 4 years there(6.0) that had a broken valve spring...very uncommon. As far as the other engine they offered, seems like it was a 5.3 perhaps? We did'nt see many of those, it was offered in the escalade but did'nt consume enough fuel for the type of customers/neighborhood where we were located.

For the most part though most of the techs in the shop agreed that they were pretty well built and it was not as common to see one in there as was the sts, deville and especially cts....or catera. The suburban/escalade are pretty much the same creature. Worked on several suburbans/denali things and electronics etc basically the same setup, except may not have as much as the caddy.

Only things don't have somebody put a dvd player under your drivers seat, especially if they plan on using wood screws to secure it, that has a tendancy to puncture important things like airbag wires(main harness under there) and cause codes to pop up. Otherwise I think they are a good buy.