Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

***BREAKROOM, 04/13 to 04/19***

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 06:07 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
***BREAKROOM, 04/13 to 04/19***

Good morning all.

Been flat on my back for the last few days. Had the stomach thing a few weeks back, this time had the head/chest cold thing happening. Thought it was pneumonia and had planned on an ER visit but it finally started clearing up yesterday afternoon. Still can't hear out of my left ear and my right ear still aches, but at least I can breathe now and the room ain't spinning anymore.

Heidi, thanks for looking so diligently for a wagon for me, but I think I found something. As soon as I feel a little better I'm going to look at a forwarder. That will solve the tractor/skidder/wagon issue I think.

Chris, J Martin is right, no adjustments needed with bar swaps, even really small to really large. And yes, Husky is Jonsered. And sometimes Craftsman as well as a couple others I can't think of right off the top of my head.

Everyone keep Old Dog Claude in your thoughts please. They're getting some relentless nasty weather up his way with lots of damage. I'm sure he has no power and it's all going to end tonite/tomorrow with several inches of snow. This has been going on for almost 24 hours up there now and the weather lady just said some places in that area have had in excess of 4" of rain since this time yesterday.

Shorts, how you holding up?

This is Sunday, April 13th.

1775 - Lord North extended the New England Restraining Act to South, Carolina, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland. The act prohibited trade with any country other than Britain and Ireland.

1782 - Washington, NC, was incorporated as the first town to be named for George Washington.

1860 - The first mail was delivered via Pony Express when a westbound rider arrived in Sacremento, CA from St. Joseph, MO.

1861 - After 34 hours of bombardment, the Union-held Fort Sumter surrenders to Confederates.

1916 - The first hybrid, seed corn was purchased for 15-cents a bushel by Samuel Ramsay.

1933 - The first flight over Mount Everest was completed by Lord Clydesdale.

1941 - German troops captured Belgrade, Yugoslavia.

1943 - U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt dedicated the Jefferson Memorial.

1945 - Vienna fell to Soviet troops.

1949 - Philip S. Hench and associates announced that cortizone was an effective treatment for rheumatoid arthritis.

1960 - The first navigational satellite was launched into Earth's orbit.

1962 - In the U.S., major steel companies rescinded announced price increases. The John F. Kennedy administration had been applying pressure against the price increases.

1964 - Sidney Poitier became the first black to win an Oscar for best actor. It was for his role in the movie "Lilies of the Field."

1970 - An oxygen tank exploded on Apollo 13, preventing a planned moon landing.

1981 - Washington Post reporter Janet Cooke received a Pulitzer Prize for her feature about an 8-year-old heroin addict named "Jimmy." Cooke relinquished the prize two days later after admitting she had fabricated the story.

1984 - U.S. President Reagan sent emergency military aid to El Salvador without congressional approval.

1990 - The Soviet Union accepted responsibility for the World War II murders of thousands of imprisoned Polish officers in the Katyn Forest. The Soviets had previously blamed the massacre on the *****.

1998 - Dolly, the world's first cloned sheep, gave natural birth to a healthy baby lamb.

1999 - Jack Kervorkian was sentenced in Pontiac, MI, to 10 to 25 years in prison for the second-degree murder of Thomas Youk. Youk's assisted suicide was videotaped and shown on "60 Minutes" in 1998.

Today's thought:
Be thankful for what you have; you'll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don't have, you will never, ever have enough.

Thanks for the coughee and soop Shorts!
Old 04-13-2014, 06:20 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Morning.

I came in and had to help. Chaikwa looks like he's been hit by a truck. So, coffee and Phoo is going. I brought in some barbacoa tacos. Thought everybody could use some protein. Chaikwa, chicken noodle soup and Saltine crackers are on your table there. Sip the Ginger Ale too. Holler if you need anything.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Shorts
Sip the Ginger Ale too.
Heeeey, waaait a minute... this is plain ginger ale! I don't drink it unless it has 'medicine' in it!

Thanks M!
Old 04-13-2014, 06:32 AM

Oh? I coulda swore I topped that off. Someone must have grabbed the wrong glass on the counter. Lemme go do that for you right quick

Chaikwa, doing ok. DH is at drill this weekend and it is the first time I am really alone in the house. Feels weird. All these years it was Chester and me. His name plate arrived that goes on his urn. So, I got that attached nice & straight and also modified the picture holder so the prints don't slip around. He looks good.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Oh? I coulda swore I topped that off. Someone must have grabbed the wrong glass on the counter. Lemme go do that for you right quick
Thash betterer! Thansh!
Old 04-13-2014, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Thash betterer! Thansh!
lol You're welcome.

I don't envy your ear pain. I use to get severe inner ear infections and bronchitis often. I would rather stick a drill bit in my ear and turn it on high speed than have an ear infection.

Put Vick's vapo-rub on your neck, chest and bottom of our feet (put socks on to keep in there nice and warm).
Old 04-13-2014, 08:05 AM

I keep expecting Chester to come back. Like he's just gone at the kennel or something. It happens throughout the day. I just want to see him, you play with him and interact with him again. So I watch the videos I have of him, just to see him play again
Old 04-13-2014, 08:34 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Skottkwa, I have a sinus infection. Drives me crazy (er).
I put Vicks in the phoo.
Shorts, I feel for ya. I still get dreams of my last buddy staring me in the face and I feel her presence at times so strong I have to look around.
I embrace those encounters.

Speaking of counters, whats crawling on the counter in the break room?
Old 04-13-2014, 09:20 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I am down sick with a nasty head cold as well.....crawling on the counter? geesh I thought I was on the floor....i hade a code id my node
Old 04-13-2014, 09:25 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I am down sick with a nasty head cold as well.....crawling on the counter? geesh I thought I was on the floor....i hade a code id my node
G'mornin' Eldest Twinner. Try doing a steam for that cold. Actually, if you cover your LEGGS in Vicks and coat your office chair with 10W30, things will work out well for ewe.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:08 AM

I think we oughtta rename this one The Infirmary Cafeteria

Thanks Scotty. Yeah, I still feel him.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:17 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Happy Sunday all y'all. Chaikwa, maybe you should try my FIL's cure for chest congestion, he takes a tablespoon of Vick's Vapor-Rub orally 3 times a day when dealing with chest congestion. I promise I didn't make up the 'orally' part. I just about died the first time I heard that was what he did. What part of 'topical application' does he not understand.
Although it is a little cool (right around freezing) we have clear blue skies and a gentle breeze here on the edge of the Prairies. This should be a productive day. I hope you all have a smiliarly good Sunday.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:22 AM

Hey Tallguy, have a good one yourself. Also I think your house is haunted that it throws a fit and breaks every time you leave on a trip. Maybe next time before you go be sure to say a few kind words on the porch, maybe caress the hand railings and tell it to be good, you'll be back.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:23 AM
Administrator

I would rather stick a drill bit in my ear and turn it on high speed than have an ear infection.
Yes. Because on low speed it just tears things slowly, is more painful and you can hear all the little stringy things ripping apart.

Put Vick's vapo-rub on your neck, chest and bottom of our feet (put socks on to keep in there nice and warm).
I've heard that. When I was little, my mother used to put Vick's on my chest then safety pin a warmed cloth to my tee shirt to help it soak in.

I keep expecting Chester to come back. Like he's just gone at the kennel or something. It happens throughout the day. I just want to see him, you play with him and interact with him again. So I watch the videos I have of him, just to see him play again
That went on for more than a year after I lost Ranger. I finally stopped expecting to see him but I've never stopped thinking of him almost daily. I used to say he was my once in a lifetime dog because he was everything I wanted him to be, well trained, obedient and smart. Then I got Jake, who is also well trained, obedient and smart. He's a polar opposite of Ranger but still everything I want him to be. Totally different personalities and mannerisms. I've come to learn that they are BOTH once in a lifetime dogs, just in different ways.

Originally Posted by Scotty
I still get dreams of my last buddy staring me in the face and I feel her presence at times so strong I have to look around.
I embrace those encounters.
I have dreams like that from time to time as well, and I honestly think it's Ranger just dropping in to say 'hi'. The last one I had of him, I saw him playing with Jake. It was so vivid that it startled me awake after a few minutes, and I looked over to where Jake was laying next to me on the bed. In my half-awake, mindless state at the moment, all I could think was that he had died and was now playing with Ranger. His feet were going a mile a minute, running in his sleep. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not!

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Seems like half the people I know are down sick with something or another, myself included. Get yourself better boss! And PLEASE don't let your nose drip on your desk again. I HATE trying to scrape up dried snot!

Jake had an appointment with the vet on Friday and she's done so well with him that I've come to trust her implicitly. So I asked her what she does for a cold. She told me zinc and Gatorade. Got some on the way home and yesterday started to feel a little better. Today is a 100% improvement over yesterday. Glad I asked her!
Old 04-13-2014, 12:08 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Zinc stops the virus from replicating in your mouth, thus shorter healing times...but of course works best the sooner you start taking it.

The Gatorade replenishes all the nutrients your body is burning up trying to fight the evil invading virus from Hell!

All upsides for sure

I will point out though that the Zinc you purchase at the drug store works better than sucking on a old barnacle encrusted zinc anode off the boat....and tastes a tad better too!

Quick Reply: ***BREAKROOM, 04/13 to 04/19***