Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

*** The New and Exciting Things Breakroom 11/30/14 - 12/6/14 ***

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 04:00 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Hi.
Scotty, hope by now that everything is back together and that you are now rolling north. What did you need to do, install a new core? That's a lousy job under the best circumstances, but outside in the cold? Horrible!!!

Slev, would never have guessed a thermometer. Yup, it got hot!

Shorts, do you start your new job tomorrow? How far away is it from your new digs? Just what is your new job?

Tallguy, are we invited to come and sample the end results? Sounds yummy.

OK, now going to be extra cruel. Just got home from lunch. We normally go to a restaurant just up the road from us and have the option of sitting outside to eat. Unless it is too windy for the ladies, we always sit outside. Today I was outside, leaning back in my chair, looking up through the green palm tree leaves and umbrellas to a brilliant, cloudless blue sky and thanking God that I am in this type of climate and not layered up in clothing or shoveling snow. Of course the Mexican food added to the enjoyment.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:36 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stan, you are welcome to stop by for leftover but I think you might enjoy yourself more on a day where DW has cooked up a mess of tamales. My sister's mother-in-law grew up in south California and she says that DW makes the most amazing masa and that the tamales are like she used to get when she was a little girl in California.
I understand Scotty is something of a lasagna afficionado. We might have to have a western Canadian lasagna cook off some day.
Old 11-30-2014, 04:46 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Slev. Your dad just experienced the reason why minimum clearance to anything remotely considered combustible, (including sheet rock, for instance) is at least 18", often more.

It is to compensate for the accidental over firing of the appliance.

I strongly suggest you find the install manual for the appliance, and follow the spacing requirements to the letter. I suggest this because I'd hate to see real damage, like a burned down house happen to your family.
Old 11-30-2014, 06:11 PM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slev, hope you had some good time before the phone call, lol!
I knew it was a gauge from experience, thought it was an auto one though.

Scotty, you win the hardship award for 2014. I changed a tranny in a blizzard back in the days....ain't nothing compared to heater cores in newer vehicles, fitting the electronic connectors would kill me.

TG, amazing home made food. if you weren't your size, I'd imagine a Hobbit house in the shire from all the good, ample bounty!! enjoy the Rockies view!

wow Shorts, you are definitely mobile!! let's make it very upwardly mobile.

my one sis in law is retiring, 30 years in business DFW texas. coming back to southern new York state. she gets cold at 65 degrees. this outta be good to watch. snicker snicker

Stan, I love hearing about the sky, weather and lunch with friends. I also tipped the waiter to tap your chair next time you lean back from the table....do dit doooo. whoops.

hubby came home early, nice surprise. fixed other jeep, replaced fuel filter,
jetted rail tube (one chunk of rust), found out that fuel gauge can fail at three quarter tank. jeep runs better on actual gas, not virtual gas.

left the barn for the kitchen, better cook today than mechanic. veggies and cheese rolled in thin steak, mashed garlic taters.....
Old 11-30-2014, 07:46 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
Stan, I love hearing about the sky, weather and lunch with friends. I also tipped the waiter to tap your chair next time you lean back from the table....do dit doooo. whoops.
]

Sorry, but you wasted your money. I had my chair tipped waaaaay back (easier to see the sky) and it was leaning against a palm tree, so it was impossible for me to fall or be pulled over. Not kidding. Really was leaning on one of the palms.

Stepson is here helping to put up the Christmas tree and my wife is decorating the stairs etc. By the time we go to bed, the house will be in full Christmas mode. Next weekend is the family gathering for Christmas, so everything needs to be ready by Friday. Stepson got hungry, so ordered pizza from Domino's Pizza. It took 1.5 hours to get here, so was free. According to the delivery guy, many of the staff did not turn up today. Just had two slices of pizza that I did not need, but was good.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:08 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Well, got to spend a chunk of Sunday changing out the water pump on one of the 6.5s. 11 months old, and it started spewing water out the weep holes, to the point where it was running off the skid plate.
Funny thing, I had heard a squeaky bearing noise Friday night, and thought it was simply an idler. Guess not.

Finished off a simple custom paint/decal project on some old mailboxes, New locks, and repurposed. Stuff like that is good, much better than just junking perfectly good units.

Punchline, didn't get a thing done that I had set out to do, but still managed to accomplish quite a bit. Weird how that works.

Hope Scotty got his manvan rolling again, breakdowns suck. And I mean that, even from the perspective of "rescue ranger". Just because I do it for a living, doesn't make it fun. At least not all the time.

Have a good one people.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:26 AM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wink, hello to the guru of the Great White North!

rain pain, can't sleep. pressure is pain free at 60 ft below sea level. just tough to breathe.....

hope this week is good for all DTRs finest!

off to find something I can't screw up....
Old 12-01-2014, 04:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Morning y'all fresh biscuits gravy sausage hash browns apple butter and western omlets. Something for everybody
Old 12-01-2014, 05:46 AM

Good morning from Paradise where it is going to be another great day.

pind, agreed , it is nice to recycle something instead of junking it.

Heodi, sorry to hear about your pain. it must have been bad for you to be up so early. Hope that you are now sleeping as I type this and feel better when you get up.

RR1, thanks for the grub. You dun gud as usual.

Off to start another fairly busy day.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:10 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I have heat. Only a couple scratches and one dash **** cracked. Did a test drive after getting air out of system...45 miles then met up with a friend got a hotel room and watched the Grey Cup cfl final...I still feel chilled. Temps were right at 30f with high winds. Heading into -30 today.
My wife said to me last week that this would be my last trip. I do believe she is correct. I managed to get some help and made a new friend while wrenching.

Lasagna is on my list of winter comfort foods I'll be making when I get home.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:21 AM

Scotty, glad to hear that everything is back together. That job sucks at the best of times, but to do it in the conditions that you had to endure was brutal. For a man of your vast dimensions, it must be extra difficult to work under the dash.

Just had the following sent to me, so am posting it for the enjoyment of some of you for Christmas or next year:

http://hackaday.com/2014/11/26/an-en...erfect-turkey/
Old 12-01-2014, 08:03 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Morning gang. Just came in from waxing mama's baby. It just received its Christmas present - - every December and today is the 1st. YEH - - man I'm good. Sure looks good. Never believe that baby is 3 years old now. There is not a scratch anywhere on in and less than 20,000 miles. Maybe dealer would give me what I paid for it since the new ones have gone up so much. UUUUHHH, cold day in Florida for that to happen.

Noticed no ph00 or coffee, so I put it on.

Scotty is up and running again - - good man. Sure hope mine doesn't go out. Of course, I never use mine, so maybe it will forget that it is there. .............

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
rain pain, can't sleep. pressure is pain free at 60 ft below sea level. just tough to breathe.....
off to find something I can't screw up....
Ma, I'm so sorry you are hurting. Not fun. Maybe if you would sit back and relax a bit and quite dreaming up stuff to do it would help. Well, on second thought, that probably would work on you just about as well as it does on me. I dream about things to do while I supposed to be sleeping. Stupid, Bob. Quit it. .....................

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Scotty, glad to hear that everything is back together. That job sucks at the best of times, but to do it in the conditions that you had to endure was brutal. For a man of your vast dimensions, it must be extra difficult to work under the dash.

Just had the following sent to me, so am posting it for the enjoyment of some of you for Christmas or next year:

http://hackaday.com/2014/11/26/an-en...erfect-turkey/
Stan - - just why do you think Scotty removed the entire interior of the truck so he could work - - cuz he is so big and his LEGGS keep shining in his eyes. .......................I can't help but wonder about people like the turkey that had to "engineer" cooking a turkey. He probably did all that on company time with their equipment. No wonder stuff costs so much these days.

OK, off to my next mountain. Ph00.................

Bob
Old 12-01-2014, 08:46 AM

Bob, that engineered turkey thing must have been done on a slow day or two at work. Or maybe the engineer gave it to his apprentice as a learning experience.

This made me remember an oldie and as it is December, will resurrect it now:

IS THERE A SANTA CLAUS?

1) No known species of reindeer can fly. BUT there are 300,000 species of living organisms yet to be classified, and while most of these are insects and germs, this does not COMPLETELY rule out flying reindeer which only Santa has ever seen.

2) There are 2 billion children (persons under 18) in the world. BUT since Santa doesn’t (appear) to handle the Muslim, Hindu, Jewish and Buddhist children, that reduces the workload to 15% of the total - 378 million according to Population Reference Bureau. At an average (census) rate of 3.5 children per household, that’s 91.8 million homes.

One presumes there’s at least one good child in each.

3) Santa has 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels east to west(which seems logical). This works out to 822.6 visits per second. This is to say that for each Christian household with good children, Santa has 1/1000th of a second to park, hop out of the sleigh, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left, get back up the chimney, get back into the sleigh and move on to the next house.

Assuming that each of these 91.8 million stops are evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false but for the purposes of our calculations we will accept), we are now talking about 1.26 km per household, a total trip of 121.5 million km, not counting stops to do what most of us must do at least once every 31 hours, plus feeding and etc.

This means that Santa’s sleigh is moving at 1,000 km per second, 3,000 times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest man- made vehicle on earth, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 44 km per second - a conventional reindeer can run, tops, 24 km per hour.

4) The payload on the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium-sized lego set (1 kg), the sleigh is carrying 321,300 tonnes, not counting Santa, who is invariably described as overweight. On land, conventional reindeer can pull no more than 135 kg. Even granting that “flying reindeer” (see point #1) could pull TEN TIMES the normal anoint, we cannot do the job with eight, or even nine.

We need 214,200 reindeer. This increases the payload - not even counting the weight of the sleigh - to 353,430 tonnes. Again, for comparison - this is four times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth.

5) 353,000 tons traveling at 1000 km per second creates enormous air resistance - this will heat the reindeer up in the same fashion as spacecraft re-entering the earth’s atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer will absorb 14.3 QUINTILLION joules of energy. Per second. Each.

In short, they will burst into flame almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them, and create deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team will be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths of a second.

Santa, meanwhile, will be subjected to centrifugal forces 17,500.06 times greater than gravity. A 110 kg Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of his sleigh by 1.9 million kg of force. In conclusion - If Santa ever DID deliver presents on Christmas Eve, he’s dead now.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:30 AM

Here is another for y'all. Boy, am I on a roll or what.

A mechanic was removing a cylinder head from the engine of 2nd generation Ram when he spotted a well-known heart surgeon in his shop.

The surgeon was there, waiting for the service manager to come and take a look at his new 4th gen truck..

The mechanic shouted across the garage,
"Hey, Doc, can I ask you a question?"

The surgeon - a bit surprised - walked over to the mechanic working on the truck.

The mechanic straightened up, wiped his hands on a rag and asked,
"So Doc, look at this engine.
I open its heart, take the valves out, fix 'em, put 'em back in, and when I finish, it works just like*new.
So how come I get such a small salary and you get the really big bucks...?...when you and I are doing basically the same work..?"

The surgeon paused, smiled and leaned over, and whispered to the mechanic...*

"Try doing it with the engine running..."

Hey, who threw that Cummins piston at me? That hurt, plus you got my clean shirt all dirty.

OK, OK now going outside to do some real damage.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:32 AM

Received 451 Likes on 343 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Bob, that engineered turkey thing must have been done on a slow day or two at work. Or maybe the engineer gave it to his apprentice as a learning experience.

This made me remember an oldie and as it is December, will resurrect it now:

IS THERE A SANTA CLAUS?

1) No known species of reindeer can fly. BUT there are 300,000 species of living organisms yet to be classified, and while most of these are insects and germs, this does not COMPLETELY rule out flying reindeer which only Santa has ever seen.

2) There are 2 billion children (persons under 18) in the world. BUT since Santa doesn’t (appear) to handle the Muslim, Hindu, Jewish and Buddhist children, that reduces the workload to 15% of the total - 378 million according to Population Reference Bureau. At an average (census) rate of 3.5 children per household, that’s 91.8 million homes.

One presumes there’s at least one good child in each.

3) Santa has 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels east to west(which seems logical). This works out to 822.6 visits per second. This is to say that for each Christian household with good children, Santa has 1/1000th of a second to park, hop out of the sleigh, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left, get back up the chimney, get back into the sleigh and move on to the next house.

Assuming that each of these 91.8 million stops are evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false but for the purposes of our calculations we will accept), we are now talking about 1.26 km per household, a total trip of 121.5 million km, not counting stops to do what most of us must do at least once every 31 hours, plus feeding and etc.

This means that Santa’s sleigh is moving at 1,000 km per second, 3,000 times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest man- made vehicle on earth, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 44 km per second - a conventional reindeer can run, tops, 24 km per hour.

4) The payload on the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium-sized lego set (1 kg), the sleigh is carrying 321,300 tonnes, not counting Santa, who is invariably described as overweight. On land, conventional reindeer can pull no more than 135 kg. Even granting that “flying reindeer” (see point #1) could pull TEN TIMES the normal anoint, we cannot do the job with eight, or even nine.

We need 214,200 reindeer. This increases the payload - not even counting the weight of the sleigh - to 353,430 tonnes. Again, for comparison - this is four times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth.

5) 353,000 tons traveling at 1000 km per second creates enormous air resistance - this will heat the reindeer up in the same fashion as spacecraft re-entering the earth’s atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer will absorb 14.3 QUINTILLION joules of energy. Per second. Each.

In short, they will burst into flame almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them, and create deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team will be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths of a second.

Santa, meanwhile, will be subjected to centrifugal forces 17,500.06 times greater than gravity. A 110 kg Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of his sleigh by 1.9 million kg of force. In conclusion - If Santa ever DID deliver presents on Christmas Eve, he’s dead now.
Another naysayer Well, I personally know reindeer can fly. I watched 2 fly off the road in front of me.
Having reindeer sausage and scrambled eggs for breakfast. More snow today. Was going to drag out the sleigh and wake up the kids for some post maintenance test flights. But, feeling bit depressed now

Quick Reply: *** The New and Exciting Things Breakroom 11/30/14 - 12/6/14 ***