Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

*** The Convalescent Aches and Pains Breakroom, Oct 5 to Oct 11 ***

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 11:28 PM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty
Mom, when I had the points stick on my 62 Pontiac Laurentian, all I had was the nail file in the ash tray from previous owner. We were in the middle of a field bird hunting. Ran the battery down. No cell phones then so we drank beer, filed the points and peed in the battery. Drank more beer, cranked her over and away we went.
Awesome low compression 283.
Originally Posted by sherod
Thanks for the tips on the '49. I have a "special" nail file in the tool box I liberated from the Bride years ago.

Batcjin it tonight so grilled cheese and tomato soup is on the stove. Come on by and get some....
64 ford falcon. 442 olds. 63 4 door buick skylark oldstyle. 3 gremlins, 54 ford pick up. 74 mustang II that never had the oil changed. ever. cam shaft went at 210k. what stubborn looks like.....
not a Pontiac fan. 46 ****** and tractors are easier working on the points system. I generally do not own a nail file. hubby has one about every ten feet. never understood the attraction...oh well. mountain men.

mmmm went Italian for supper, meatballs, mushroom n onion n basil sauce on gluten free pasta, garlic cheese bread toasted. one of those meals you don't talk, you eat.

gotta say, GC n tomato is my fav go to food!!! clean up well, happy wife happy life. Larry's wise advice icon<
Old 10-11-2014, 05:11 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey, another week bites the dust. Another day older and after this week's performance in the stock market, definitely deeper in debt. OUCH.

Oh well, next week will be better, so coffee is on and (shhhh, don't let the Canuck find out - - ph00 is made and I hid the pot in the upper cabinet over the sink - - help yourself).

I'm out of here - - lots to do.

Bob
Old 10-11-2014, 07:26 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Morning all.

Points and condensers. Brings back many memories. Made me remember coils and the impulse on magnetos too. A doubled over, narrow (about 3/8") strip of 320 or 400 grit water paper also works to clean points in situ. Only problem is that you can't push, only pull, so it is slow going, but it works.

My big job here at home is finished. Almost 8 gallons of paint and about 40 pounds of plaster mix. Phew, there was a time that I thought that the job would never end. It has even passed an important ISO quality inspection, the spousal eye. Only used one coat of paint and it looks good. The Mexican made paints (Comex) are very good quality and cover extremely well.

Grabbing a cup of coffee and outa here.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:13 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Morning all.

Points and condensers. Brings back many memories. Made me remember coils and the impulse on magnetos too. A doubled over, narrow (about 3/8") strip of 320 or 400 grit water paper also works to clean points in situ. Only problem is that you can't push, only pull, so it is slow going, but it works.
Backed up by a drop of rubbing alcohol on a matchbook cover to remove any emery dust or oil left behind. The hard to find part might be the matchbook cover.

The best point dressing tool I know of is called a flex-stone. They're still available. It's a flexible plastic grit stick. When the end 3/8" that you can actually use is worn out, you break it off and keep going.
Old 10-11-2014, 09:03 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Just remembered something else. Without the proper testing gear, testing a condenser is almost impossible. One quick and rough guide is to discharge the condenser by holding the wire to the case for a few seconds. Then get a multimeter or anything analog that reads ohms and set it to the highest scale. Attach one end to the condenser case and while keeping a very close eye on the needle, touch the other end to the wire. If the condenser is good, the needle will have a fraction of a second upward twitch. If there is zero twitch or the needle goes up to any reading and stays up, there is a good chance that the condenser is kaput.

Of course, another way is to connect the condenser to a 115 or 220 volt source for a few seconds, carefully disconnect it and ask a friend (or enemy) to hold it for a moment. Any resulting yell (or curse) will prove that the condenser is good.

j_martin, you are correct about the flex-stone.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:31 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
STAN- Exactly how I test the condenser. Got the woodstove heating up and big stack of tools ready. Just have to rob a battery out of something. Did find someone has wired in a ballast resistor. Kinda changes my thinking, but no big deal.

Put the new set of RN12Y's in the Magnum. It seems to like them tons better than the 14's that was in it.(Still trying to talk the Bride into changing the Lean Burn over to MSD) I guess when the Lean Burn completely takes a dive then it's play-time!

Thanks for the advice on the 49!
Old 10-11-2014, 11:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You will need the ballest resistor in a Mopar or you will burn the coil up in a hurry once wArm.
The cheapest way to do away with the lean burn is to put a CEI from summit in it. That's what I did to my old 79 cordoba with its rick corninthian leather. Ha
Old 10-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RR1, I had an 1983 Cordoba with a landau roof and the rich Corinthian leather. It was metallic blue and had a slant 6 225ci. When I sold it in 2000, it had over 500,000 miles on it. The leather was just starting to wear through on the driver's seat and the first rust was starting to show through around the rear wheels.

Those slant 6 engines didn't make much power but they sure did run for a long time.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
RRONE- The ballast is in the old 49 Ford. It's going to wait for now. Pouring down rain so I don't want to steal a battery out of anything else. Maybe later...

THE CEI is what I meant, I had it wrong. The local Dodge shop told me that as far as they know, I have the only Magnum in the area. Seems to be so, cuz there sure are no extra parts laying around! It has 68000 miles on it, still with original spare and can of Chrylser air to inflate it with. White leather interior with red **** carpets. LOL!
Old 10-11-2014, 04:02 PM
DTR Mom

nice weather, did nothing outside. filled up pantry stock for the winter. cart full=I am done.

did splurge on fresh fish and one chocolate beer. not gonna use together.

glad to hear from all of U.

rocking the classic oldies on the radio and deciding what to do next....

have an awesome Thanksgiving weekend mon Canadien friends!!

hunting pumpkins tomorrow. woo hoo
Old 10-11-2014, 07:55 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

evening all.
did I miss anything?

I'd like to share a bit of new oil field wisdom. When you start a 1700 HP triplex pump after its sat over the weekend unused. its best to check for uninvited guests. While the cat(s) did cause a belt to jump sheeve, the cat(s) ultimately lost the battle.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:20 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There hasn't been a post in 2.5 hrs so I guess it is time to shut this breakroom down. It has been good to be with all you folks, new and old. The Breakroom is all about inclusion and fun times.
See everyone new and old in the new room.