Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

*** The Convalescent Aches and Pains Breakroom, Oct 5 to Oct 11 ***

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Evening all y'all, just a quick check in before heading out to yoga. Why do I voluntarily put myself through this yoga abuse 3 times a week? At least it is a good workout so I don't have to do more extreme stuff in my older years after 50 years of sitting on the couch catches up with me. It is a pretty hard 90 minute workout. Nowhere near as hard a workout as Madhat would make me do but more than this dude has done in a few years.

Play safe all y'all.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:45 PM
DTR's "Cooler than ice cubes 14 miles North of North Pole" member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Hey ofcmarc welcome back!

Good stuff! glad you enjoyed yourself
Thanks Top! Good to be back.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:43 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Hey Marc, been wondering what object you were hiding under.

Wet summer here too. Right now, we can circle the wagons all we like, we're surrounded by snow.

Spent the last couple days putting an excavator back together, that had rolled off a dirt bank. No injuries sustained except pride. Machine took the cab and bodywork on left side, engine has a soft miss, and the pumps are howling. Bummer on a 1900 hour machine. Oh well, I can fix it. (The machine part anyway)

Have fun people
Old 10-08-2014, 04:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Morning all fresh coffee phoo biscuits gravy bacon eggs all on the counter. Eat up.

Now for history

October 8

1895 - The Berliner Gramophone Company was founded in Philadelphia, PA.

1904 - "Little Johnny Jones" opened in Hartford, CT.

1915 - During World War I, the Battle of Loos concluded.

1918 - U.S. Corporal Alvin C. York almost single-handedly killed 25 German soldiers and captured 132 in the Argonne Forest in France. York had originally tried to avoid being drafted as a conscientious objector. After this event his was promoted to sergeant and was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.

1919 - The first transcontinental air race in the U.S. began.

1935 - "The O’Neills" debuted on CBS radio.

1938 - The cover of "The Saturday Evening Post" portrayed Norman Rockwell.

1944 - "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet" debuted on CBS radio.

1945 - U.S. President Truman announced that only Britain and Canada would be given the secret to the atomic bomb.

1950 - U.N. forces crossed into North Korea from South Korea.

1952 - "The Complete Book of Etiquette" was published for the first time.

1956 - Donald James Larsen (New York Yankees) pitched the first perfect game in the history of the World Series.

1957 - The Brooklyn Baseball Club announced that it had accepted a deal to move the Dodgers to Los Angeles.

1966 - The U.S. Government declared that LSD was dangerous and an illegal substance.

1970 - Soviet author Alexander Solzhenitsyn won the Nobel Prize for literature.

1979 - "Sugar Babies" opened at the Mark Hellinger Theatre on Broadway.

1981 - U.S. President Reagan greeted former Presidents Carter, Ford and Nixon to the White House. The group was preparing to leave for Egypt to attend the funeral of Anwar Sadat.

1982 - In Poland, all labor organizations, including Solidarity, were banned.

1991 - A slave burial site was found by construction workers in lower Manhattan. The "Negro Burial Ground" had been closed in 1790. Over a dozen skeletons were found.

1993 - The U.S. government issued a report absolving the FBI of any wrongdoing in its final assault in Waco, TX, on the Branch Davidian compound. The fire that ended the siege killed as many as 85 people.

1996 - Pope John Paul II underwent a successful operation to remove his inflamed appendix.

1998 - Taliban forces attacked Iranian border posts. Iran said that three border posts were destroyed before the Taliban forces were forced to retreat. The Taliban of Afghanistan denied the event occurred.

1998 - Canada and Netherlands were voted into the U.N. Security Council.

2001 - Tom Ridge, former Governor of Pennsylvania, was sworn in as director of the new U.S. department of Homeland Security.

2001 - Rush Limbaugh announced to his listeners that he was totally deaf in his left ear and had only partial hearing in his right ear. The condition had happened in a three month period.

2001 - Two Russian cosmonauts made the first spacewalk to be conducted outside of the international space station without a shuttle present.

2002 - A federal judge approved U.S. President George W. Bush's request to reopen West Coast ports, to end a caustic 10-day labor lockout. The lockout was costing the U.S. economy an estimated $1 billion to $2 billion a day.

2003 - China announced that it would have a human crew orbit the Earth briefly on October 15.

2003 - Vietnam and the United States reached a tentative agreement that would allow the first commercial flights between the two countries since the end of the Vietnam War.

2003 - It was announced that Vivendi Universal and General Electric Co. had reached an agreement to merge. The name for the combined company was NBC Universal.

2003 - Siegfried Fischbacher and his manager announced that the "Siegfried and Roy" show at the Mirage was canceled permanently. It was also said that if Roy Horn survived, after a tiger attack on October 3, the duo would continue to work together.

2004 - The first-ever direct presidential elections were held in Afghanistan.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:51 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Lary the Leggs told me about Alvin Young and how they wreaked havoc.

Speaking of havoc. Be wary of the all turd phoo goo.

Just sayin.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by pind
Wet summer here too. Right now, we can circle the wagons all we like, we're surrounded by snow.
Wet doesn't even begin to cover it.......
Here's one of my local boat launches on one of the not-so-rainy days.

*** The Convalescent Aches and Pains Breakroom, Oct 5 to Oct 11 ***-launch.jpg

Tires on the truck were wet 50' before the top of the launch ramp.

We have snow here as well. Likely for the season.

Mornin' All!
Old 10-08-2014, 01:12 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty
I recall you whacked yer melon but I don't recall you saying you went for a ride in the WhaaaAAAaaaammmbulance.

Obviously, they didn't find anything.
I speak from personal experience only. LOL
Yep, I got a free-ish ride. They stopped for a whaamburger and some french cries, too!
Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
technically, Madson, you are a cracked jar head. with angry intent spilling out....
I like it.

Afternoon.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ofcmarc,
It should be a lot easier to launch your boat on days like that. Just untether it and let it float off the trailer in your backyard. Kind of like Noah and his Ark or your own local dry-dock.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:22 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Scotty
Lary the Leggs told me about Alvin Young and how they wreaked havoc.
I believe you must mean Alvin York

He was a heck of a marksman that's for sure!

I hate that they named one of the biggest failures in military machines after him
Old 10-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I believe you must mean Alvin York

He was a heck of a marksman that's for sure!

I hate that they named one of the biggest failures in military machines after him
Nope, Alvin Young... You said his name was always wrong. Yeah...that's it... yeah.
Still haven't got my new phone spell check disabled.
When I type phoo it wants to show photo. SMASH!!!
Old 10-08-2014, 02:10 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ofcmarc

I had an Aunt move up here from Kansas and bought a house with a small farm attached so now I get to learn about keeping chickens in the cold. So far so good and I get all the fresh eggs I want. She's considering goats or pigs next summer too as well as all the vegetables. The previous owner also has 12-15 trees marked that do well for tapping to make birch syrup in the spring.

gonna be a busy winter too but that should help keep me young.
Chickens over winter pretty easily. Don't heat the coops anymore than needed to keep the eggs from freezing ( shells will split open) and keep a lot of clean straw on the floor to prevent their feet from freezing to it. Make sure they have water at all times and they'll do fine
Watch their combs and as long as they stay a healthy color their fine
Old 10-08-2014, 03:12 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
Chickens over winter pretty easily. Don't heat the coops anymore than needed to keep the eggs from freezing ( shells will split open) and keep a lot of clean straw on the floor to prevent their feet from freezing to it. Make sure they have water at all times and they'll do fine
If you want them to lay eggs in the winter, you have to extend their "daylight" hours with artificial lighting. I think we used to have the lights on from 5 to 10, and again from 4 to 7 or so, or if the coop is a little dark, from 4 am to 7 pm.

Sometime in early spring, it's good to turn off the lights and change their feed from laying mash to a lighter feed to encourage them to stop laying for a month. It resets their system and improves production all summer.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
They have a pretty decent coup setup. It's heated, lighted and I've rigged up a tank heater to keep the water from freezing. Plenty of straw as well and easily cleaned.

Originally Posted by j_martin
Sometime in early spring, it's good to turn off the lights and change their feed from laying mash to a lighter feed to encourage them to stop laying for a month. It resets their system and improves production all summer.
That's good to know.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:21 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Marc, nice to see you back. Where in ZA where you?

Afternoon all. Been too busy to post. Had a discussion with myself and gave myself an early day. As much as I want to complete this project, there is no rush to finish, so am going to pace myself. Got a lot of prep work done this morning, so tomorrow can get a move on.

Yesterday and today we have had glorious blue skies. Have a couple of those blue tarps outside where I am working and the blue of the sky is not far off the colour of the tarps. Only problem is that the sun is relentless and although the temperature is only 77F, I may as well be in a 200 degree oven. Definitely a big brim hat day. Only a hint of a breeze to cool me off.

Going to finish my coffee and then go and have a nice shower.
Old 10-08-2014, 06:38 PM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
JWBM. if you ever head for the left coast, take the northern route and stop by. There's bound to be something I'm growing, hunting, foraging to sample. How 'bout catch of the day over charcoal and cherry wood? Oh, and charcoal around ain't those lignite briquettes you buy in bags. Nope, it's salvaged from the winter heating, or if that supply runs out, home made retort charcoal.
oh heck ya! wolverine

Originally Posted by ofcmarc
Afternooner all! This place seems familiar even with the new decorations. I guess you cant decorate the smell away.

I got a new toy......... It's built like a tank but it floats.

I got to do a bit of international travel too. Spent almost 2 weeks in South Africa hunting plainsgame. I got several nice trophies awaiting import....

I had an Aunt move up here from Kansas and bought a house with a small farm attached so now I get to learn about keeping chickens in the cold. So far so good and I get all the fresh eggs I want. She's considering goats or pigs next summer too as well as all the vegetables. The previous owner also has 12-15 trees marked that do well for tapping to make birch syrup in the spring.
got the girls to help too! awesome busy but soooo worth it. find the routine.
glad to hear from ya, sorry I never shook yer hand but new babies rule!
dang, look what prison did for ya! snicker.... that little trophy buck is cuuuute!

so windy, the squirrels were rolling around...
I watched them while eating chocolate brownies with strawberry jam in the middle......and hot apple cider. have to feel better after that.

PIND!! put a duct tape bandage on your patient...stay dry....and warm.

Quick Reply: *** The Convalescent Aches and Pains Breakroom, Oct 5 to Oct 11 ***