Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

****BREAKROOM - 3/9 to 3/15****

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 06:13 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
****BREAKROOM - 3/9 to 3/15****

Morning all!

Did everyone remember to 'spring ahead'?

Originally Posted by Dr.Dizzle
chaikwa, I read the question you posted, iand thought for a moment. Your mention of a male and a collar are good. I will give it a go and say that your service dog Jake was promoted to Lieutenant.
Nope.

Originally Posted by Bark
I'm really hoping it was you. Party time?
Negative, not me. I was already a lieut when I left full time service. The day the Chief announced I was to be the second Deputy, I responded by thanking him and handing him my resignation letter. He was not pleased!

It is Sunday, March 9th.

1788 - Connecticut became the 5th state to join the United States.

1799 - The U.S. Congress contracted with Simeon North, of Berlin, CT, for 500 horse pistols at the price of $6.50 each.

1820 - The U.S. Congress passed the Land Act that paved the way for westward expansion of North America.

1832 - Abraham Lincoln announced that he would run for a political office for the first time. He was unsuccessful in his run for a seat in the Illinois state legislature.

1862 - During the U.S. Civil War, the ironclads Monitor and Virginia fought to a draw in a five-hour battle at Hampton Roads, Virginia.

1863 - General Ulysses Grant was appointed commander-in-chief of the Union forces.

1910 - Union men urged for a national sympathy strike for miners in Pennsylvania.

1933 - The U.S. Congress began its 100 days of enacting New Deal legislation.

1936 - The German press warned that all Jews who vote in the upcoming elections would be arrested.

1945 - During World War II, U.S. B-29 bombers launched incendiary bomb attacks against Japan.

1949 - The first all-electric dining car was placed in service on the Illinois Central Railroad.

1959 - Mattel introduced Barbie at the annual Toy Fair in New York.

1964 - Production began on the first Ford Mustang.

1965 - The first U.S. combat troops arrived in South Vietnam.

1975 - Work began on the Alaskan oil pipeline.

1977 - About a dozen armed Hanafi Muslims invaded three buildings in Washington, DC. They killed one person and took more than 130 hostages. The siege ended two days later.

1983 - The official Soviet news agency TASS says that U.S. President Reagan is full of "bellicose lunatic anti-communism."

1986 - U.S. Navy divers found the crew compartment of the space shuttle Challenger along with the remains of the astronauts.

1987 - Chrysler Corporation offered to buy American Motors Corporation.

1989 - In the U.S., President George H.W. Bush urged for a mandatory death penalty in drug-related killings.

1993 - Rodney King testified at the federal trial of four Los Angeles police officers accused of violating his civil rights. (California)

1995 - The Canadian Navy arrested a Spanish trawler for illegally fishing off of Newfoundland.

Today's thought:
The question isn’t who is going to let me; it’s who is going to stop me.

Sunday Special ph00 today; pray like you were in church that it doesn't kill you!

C0ffee's on t00!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:06 AM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
whoa, thought everyone would guess Admin Tim the Irish wonder... congrats and clink of glass in your honor. A 'celebration' in Buffalo FD was a call for the newest officer to provide the K tool(lock breaker). yup,, first apt complex or industrial building. hit every door. thinking was that you'd be so tired, you won't "over manage" the crew. large moral boost followed by really good food.

up with the sun, made French toast for hubby. he is trying out his new toy- a street strider. like an elliptical on wheels. we live in steep country, helmet and cell phone mandatory. sun is shining!

finish up projects in the barn; check the sap buckets.

chocolate raspberry cappachino fer me n Bob
Old 03-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 03-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Good morning all y'all, it is another beautiful morning on the edge of the prairies. The sun is shining and the temperature hasn't been below freezing for 36 hours. Wahooo!!! It may not look like spring yet but I just saw the first starling of the year on the peak of the barn. That is a good sign. DW and I heading to a lunch housewarming party at a friend's house. It will be nice to get Mrs Cabin-Fever out of the house for a change.
Have a wonderful Sunday everyone and play safe.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 453 Likes on 344 Posts
Arrrg. Wasted my day yesterday on a wild goose chase. Traveled cross state to look at a truck. The truck had about a gallon of jelled fuel in the tank. There was a snow drift under the hood. And squirrels had been chewing on things. I wasted a day, 32 gallons of gas, and put 640 miles on the car for nothing.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:08 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Originally Posted by cougar
And squires had been chewing on things.
Wow, I am surprised that rich landowners and noblemen in Alaska have nothing better to do than chew on things under the hood of a truck
Old 03-09-2014, 01:23 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Fine Sunday to the gang. Hope it is going well.

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
chocolate raspberry cappachino fer me n Bob
You are the gal - - - wow, choc/rasp Cap - - oouuuuuuuuuuuu to the moon. Yeh. ..................

Off to visit friend in rehap. Be good.

Fill up.................................ooouuuuuuuuu

Bob
Old 03-09-2014, 01:30 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Tis a strange hierarchy we have here where squirrels are sometimes fairly high up the chain until they chew up your wiring, get in your birdfeeder or cross the road.

So it was Tim!!! Congrats,, now where is the party.

helmet and cell phone mandatory.
Thought the helmet was to block the cell phone signals (and all the other ones the govt. is using to try and control me).

On my way to Anchorage. Get to spend the night in a Hotel. Nice to not be in a rush for a change.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:47 PM

What else was I supposed to think of when you mentioned a trumpet?
Did everyone remember to 'spring ahead'?
It was more of a swift downhill roll. But better than my friend I caught up with last night. Not sure why he didn't have some water before he left, the one bar maid told us that they were watching the cops pull over people as they left Friday night. Didn't expect him to go clear through town either...
Old 03-09-2014, 03:20 PM
DTR Mom

25 sunny but w i nn ddyyyy!!! numbs the brain.

got some awkward boards removed from new deck, new install when concrete can set not freeze. get that done before building goes up behind barn for the wood.

setting up stainless grill for boiling sap, got a phone call from my kindergarten friend! nice to sit on the porch swing; in the sun, and talk.
forget pain, cold, and projects. wish they made a pill ......

TG, should get into town tomorrow for all the spices. not putting you off, just lot of plan changes this past week.

Scottycanuck, EMT call went out for a guy who got trapped by his spheres.
while I may consider poor taste jokes; you may be able to feel his pain
Old 03-09-2014, 05:14 PM
Administrator

French toast for hubby. he is trying out his new toy- a street strider. like an elliptical on wheels.
An elliptical... what?

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
What else was I supposed to think of when you mentioned a trumpet?
Well now you know the significance of trumpets and the fire service. One is Lt., 2 is Capt., and so on. The trumpets were used by officers in the old days before they had loud-speakers. They're not a bugle kinda trumpet, but longer, no curves of the tube and a mouthpiece for talking into. Like this:

Some of them can get quite ornate.

Not a bad day here, warmish in the high 30's. Seemed like a heat wave after the below zero crap!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:12 PM
DTR Mom

google it, chuckles....
Old 03-09-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
just spent last week and way too many working hours in sunny, crisp Dawson city. that magical place where it's 38 below c in the morning and 5 below by afternoon... for about half an hour. However , it was a scratch built job. right down to installing temporary furnaces in the shop where I was working. boy scouts are prepared for anything, I'm simply prepared to truly use necessity as the mother of invention.

today, went and started the truck to run into town. came out a couple minutes later and hmmm, what is that smell. coming in through the heat vents. uh oh , pop the hood and see flames shooting out of my nearly new alternator. couple handfuls of snow to douse the Orange parts, and 10 minutes later, had my 13 year old stocker back on for now, and rolling down the road. easy like Sunday morning.

such is a day in the life of those with no life... or something like that.

have a good one people.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:57 AM
Administrator

google it, chuckles....
I did. It showed an elongated picture of YOU. So that means Mike is riding... nevermind.

Good MONDAY morning peoples!

It is MONDAY! March 10th.

MONDAY!

1656 - In the American colony of Virginia, suffrage was extended to all free men regardless of their religion.

1792 - John Stone patented the pile driver.

1804 - The formal ceremonies transferring the Louisiana Purchase from France to the U.S. took place in St. Louis.

1848 - The U.S. Senate ratified the Treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, which ended the war with Mexico.

1849 - Abraham Lincoln applied for a patent for a device to lift vessels over shoals by means of inflated cylinders.

1864 - Ulysses S. Grant became commander of the Union armies in the U.S. Civil War.

1876 - Alexander Graham Bell made the first successful call with the telephone. He spoke the words "Mr. Watson, come here, I want to see you."

1880 - The Salvation Army arrived in the U.S. from England.

1893 - New Mexico State University canceled its first graduation ceremony because the only graduate was robbed and killed the night before.

1903 - In New York's harbor, the disease-stricken ship Karmania was quarantined with six dead from cholera.

1924 - The U.S. Supreme Court upheld a New York state law forbidding late-night work for women.

1927 - Prussia lifted its **** ban allowing Adolf Hitler to speak in public.

1933 - Nevada became the first U.S. state to regulate drugs.

1944 - The Irish refused to oust all Axis envoys and denied the accusation of spying on Allied troops.

1945 - American B-29 bombers attacked Tokyo, Japan, 100,000 were killed.

1949 - **** wartime broadcaster Mildred E. Gillars, also known as "Axis Sally," was convicted in Washington, DC. Gillars was convicted of treason and served 12 years in prison.

1953 - North Korean gunners at Wonsan fired upon the USS Missouri. The ship responded by firing 998 rounds at the enemy position.

1966 - The North Vietnamese captured a Green Beret camp at Ashau Valley.

1969 - James Earl Ray pled guilty in Memphis, TN, to the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. Ray later repudiated the guilty plea and maintained his innocence until his death in April of 1998.

1971 - The U.S. Senate approved an amendment to lower the voting age to 18.

1975 - The North Vietnamese Army attacked the South Vietnamese town of Ban Me Thout.

1981 - The U.S. Postal Service announced an increase in first class postage from 15 to 18 cents.

1982 - The U.S. banned Libyan oil imports due to their continued support of terrorism.

1986 - The Wrigley Company, of Chicago, raised the price of its seven-stick pack of Wrigley’s chewing gum from a quarter to 30 cents.

1991 - "Phase Echo" began. It was the operation to withdraw 540,000 U.S. troops from the Persian Gulf region.

2002 - The Associated Press reported that the Pentagon informed the U.S. Congress in January that it was making contingency plans for the possible use of nuclear weapons against countries that threaten the U.S. with weapons of mass destruction, including Iraq and North Korea.

2003 - North Korea test-fired a short-range missile. The event was one of several in a patter of unusual military maneuvers.

Today's thought:
Do one thing every day that scares you.

C0ffee and ph00 are ready.

Go greet your Monday!
Old 03-10-2014, 08:18 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
C0ffee and ph00 are ready.
Go greet your Monday!
Whew - - almost misread your "greet" message - - thought you said "go greet your maker." I'm ready but still, telling me to go drop dead???? Hmmm. Yeh, need ph00...........................................

Morning gang. Nuther horrible day down here so I won't tell you about it. Anywho, it is Monday so get up and enjoy the day.

Bob...............................................ph00..................

Quick Reply: ****BREAKROOM - 3/9 to 3/15****