Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

****BREAKROOM - 3/2 to 3/8****

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 08:10 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bark
-We have pork shoulder (butt) on sale at our IGA. Any thoughts?
Bark - first of all, why do we interchange shoulder and butt on a pig when referring to a cut of meat. I don't know about you, but I would be offended if someone got those parts of my anatomy mixed up when referring to me. Before the peanut gallery all chime in - easy boys, remember this is a family place. As for pork butt on sale, for heavens sake grab a few and freeze them. First choice, put them through a meat grinder, add salt, white pepper, a bit of sage and maple syrup and make breakfast sausage patties out of them. Second choice, smoke for about 3 hours to get a nice bark (smoke crust not yourself you weirdo) on the outside and then simmer in a Dutch Oven that is put in a 250F oven for 8 to 10 hours. Remove from oven, shred with two forks and add your favorite vinegar based south-eastern BBQ sauce and you will have the most awesome pulled pork. Serve on toasted buns with a nice side of slaw and baked beans.

I am starting to sound like Paula Deen so I am going to step away from the food now.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:29 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Found another cool photo of Scotty......he sure was a handsome little fella
Attached Thumbnails ****BREAKROOM - 3/2 to 3/8****-baby.jpg  
Old 03-04-2014, 01:21 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Found another cool photo of Scotty......he sure was a handsome little fella
I still am!
Old 03-04-2014, 02:07 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Howdy all, Later Stan,

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Naaaah. How about poop?
I should have asked for gold.

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
when we were cute little young tikes........
Uh,,Cute barely describes it.

Originally Posted by Scotty
its perfect for prime rib.
Bet you miss the Buffalo.

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
interchange shoulder and butt on a pig food
That's why I mentioned the shoulder butts, makes no sense unless you are describing chaikwa.
Other reason I asked you is last week I followed your breakfast sausage recipe except for the syrup. We ate three pounds in one day.
Good thinking on the smoker. Think I will try that.

Off to the pool!! I still call ahead so they can let some of the water out.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:37 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Howdy all,

Uh,,Cute barely describes it.

Bet you miss the Buffalo.

Off to take a poo!! I still call ahead so they can let some of the water out.
Hi Bark long lost third twin.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:37 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Hmmm, could have sworn I said pool you stinker
(that was a good one, now I wish I would have said poo.

ya got trouble, folks!
Right here in River City.
That's Trouble with a capital "T"
And that rhymes with "P"
And that rhymes with "C"
And that stands for crap.

I think that's how it goes.
Old 03-04-2014, 04:42 PM
DTR Mom

wow , all the men posting pics. dial up the age a bit, I am feeling like grandma chaikwa.....

25 for a high so we washed the jeep liberty inside n out. son is coming over tomorrow, think he has had enough of everything! gonna give him the jeep and take his 92 wrangler in the barn for some attention or find a nice daily driver that my back likes. I still have the 46 ****** and 62 ******/jeep.
one less hassle for him though....work, high rent, gals he will have to learn how to decipher.. will feed him good tomorrow too.

guy sent me the stihl watch for mower tire chains I no longer use, he was very appreciative. I was surprised to see a stihl ball cap and a note:
Attached Thumbnails ****BREAKROOM - 3/2 to 3/8****-img_20140304_131042.jpg  
Old 03-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Hahahahaha I never met your friend Al, Heidi....but I like him he fits right in here
Old 03-04-2014, 06:37 PM
I grad-u-ated frum Claudes skool of tpying....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello all long time been busy ...getting further along with my chummins ...a little at a time ...LAry I like the baby pictures,sometime I am going to have to put a photo up of the truck so you have an idea of what I'm working against. Time to bug later
Old 03-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Eveing all.

Took apart a Ford rear end today, except it wasn't. Well, it was but it ain't. Guess I should 'splain; There was this company in Zanesville Ohio, Roper Manufacturing, that made implements for John Deere back in the 50's and 60's. This particular implement is/was a post hole digger made to go on a 3 point hitch. Seems this company bought new old Ford parts, in this case, rear ends from the 30's and 40's, and made post hole diggers out of them. They turned the rear end so that one axle was pointing down and this is what they ran the auger off of. the other axle they just cut off and capped. They used the pinion shaft to attach the PTO driveshaft to run the whole mess. How they ever got the 90 weight up to the top bearing I have NO idea. And how they even kept the grease in it at ALL is a mystery as well because the dirt would push up against the seal in the bottom axle, which is now pointing down and driving the auger, and tear it apart. To make it mountable to a 3 point hitch, they just welded brackets to the cast iron center section and called it good!

Anyway, I have the whole thing apart, getting all new bearings and seals for it which I'm going to pack with regular wheel bearing grease, then set it up so a conventional auger will fit on it, not the 20" long auger they made with it. I'm also going to drive it with a hydraulic motor and run it on the backhoe in place of the bucket. Dunno if it'll work or not, or even last, but I guess I'll find out.

Guess they made implements for other companies as well, Allis Chalmers, International and *****'s Overland to name a few.

Interesting to see the ingenuity of the old manufacturers to make something work without reinventing the wheel. Neat, but crude!
Old 03-04-2014, 10:23 PM

Evening all, howdy twichit,

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
I was surprised to see a stihl ball cap and a note:
Snort.

Originally Posted by chaikwa
How they ever got the 90 weight up to the top bearing I have NO idea.
Love to play with old equipment. Uh, suddenly that sounds kind of obscene.
Anyway, there has got to be somebody who has the original maint instructions for those things. Might explain how it stayed lubed.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:12 AM

Wife and I were given tickets for the Annual Donner Party Hike. Drove from Vacaville to the starting point in a couple of hours.
Kind of weird sitting on log remains at Alder Creek eating a sack lunch knowing that people had eaten shoe leather and worse at that same spot.
Than we drove back to Vacaville and went to a Chinese buffet.
Can't imagine what it was like to travel back in 1846.
Check out
Great Trails of the West Great Trails of the West
by Richard Dunlop sometime. He even got sick leading his son's scout pack over the Chilkoot Trail, the group had to split, one scout stayed with him in an old cabin while the other leader and the rest of the boys pushed south to get to the railroad to get help for him.

I can point out one mistake though, he stopped at a post office along one of the routes, and they said they were the only one who sells beer. I know for a fact that they aren't. The one in Hendley, NE, does as well.

I want to read several books by Jeff Barnes:
The Great Plains Guide to Buffalo Bill: Forts, Fights, and Other Sites
Forts of the Northern Plains: Guide to Historic Military Posts of the Plains Indian Wars
The Great Plains Guide to Custer: 85 Forts, Fights, & Other Sites

Also want to read Stew Magnuson's The Last American Highway: A Journey Through Time Down U.S. Route 83: The Dakotas
doctor told me no more fried chicken. Not even allowed chicken skin anymore.
I can handle fried chicken. The skin is a whole 'nother story. I cooked up some chicken breasts last week to mix into my spaghetti sauce with some sausage and left two in a bowl on the deep freeze. I heard Huck getting into something in the night. They were gone in the morning. He ate half a batch of cookies that I left on there too. He's going to have to make a big adjustment when I go back to work. Hasn't been away from me for more than a couple hours in the last month.

Chaikwa, that picture shows it mounted on an Allis-Chalmers tractor, probably a D15 or D17. I'll have to look closer at the old digger at work, it's built something like that. You'll like the auger on the front loader. That's how we do most of our drilling when the gas hand-auger won't dig. You can put downpressure on it and if it gets stuck reverse it. The one we use is a Rhino brand, it is essentially a 3 pt gearbox with an adapter and hydraulic motor bolted to the input. The auger sticks worse when using smaller bits. The bottom of the hole needs a lot less cleaning out if you lower the digger in and lift it out a couple times once you hit depth. Boss saw me do it a couple times, got on the tractor and did it for 2 holes then quit. Save 30 seconds with the tractor and lose 5 minutes with the hand diggers

Stopped in at the hardware today. Think I may try to sell my 288's and save up to get a 562xp. The 550xp's not much bigger than the Stihl I've got and the 576 is a lot more money. Someone on facebook wants to trade me a 288 for a 576 that he's got torn apart for a new cylinder and piston. If I have to work on something I am going to work on what I've got, not someone else's mess!

See if I can get a couple saw pictures up here. This one runs, put together with some 281 parts, S/N is for a 288, needs a muffler and band for the chain brake.

This one needs a flywheel (I have one) and a recoil, couple wires fixed, feels like good compression turning the flywheel by hand. It was run over and rebuilt shortly before being bought by my dad and uncle around 93. As far as I know it wasn't run after the flywheel fins got broken off, still not sure how that was managed.

Think I could get $550 out of them including the flywheel and low-hour 28 inch bar I have? Or would I be better off putting the cash into parts and lugging these heavy old beasts around?
Old 03-05-2014, 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
-he stopped at a post office along one of the routes, and they said they were the only one who sells beer.
-I want to read several books by Jeff Barnes:
-I heard Huck getting into something in the night. They were gone in the morning.
-A post office that sells beer? That's great!
-Another reason I like visiting my parents. My Dad has a huge collection of books on his favorite subjects, all things old Western and old explorers.
There is always something good to read at night.
-Dogs crack me up. They know they are going to get in trouble but just can't help themselves. They are like a three year old kid.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:17 AM
Administrator

... there has got to be somebody who has the original maint instructions for those things. Might explain how it stayed lubed.
I can't find any on-line. Found lots of sales flyers and old pictures of them in use, but no owners or maintenance manuals. Maybe they knew they wouldn't last long enough to maintain! From what I learned on the vintage tractor sites, they're quite rare now.

He's going to have to make a big adjustment when I go back to work. Hasn't been away from me for more than a couple hours in the last month.
You are mostly in trucks or equipment, aren't you? Why not take him with you?

I'll have to look closer at the old digger at work, it's built something like that. You'll like the auger on the front loader. The one we use is a Rhino brand, it is essentially a 3 pt gearbox with an adapter and hydraulic motor bolted to the input.
Think you could get me a couple of picture of that? Even if it's not the same as what I've got, I'm particularly interested in what they use for a hydraulic motor. If you could get me the name plate and numbers off that motor, I'd appreciate it.

Think I could get $550 out of them including the flywheel and low-hour 28 inch bar I have? Or would I be better off putting the cash into parts and lugging these heavy old beasts around?
I don't know, you *might*. I don't really keep up with what used saws bring now. I know I've seen some outrageous prices on used saw parts tho.
Try going to this facebook page and ask around: https://www.facebook.com/groups/302869533101026/
Good group of guys there.

Morning all.

Where's B0b been? Been making his stoopid ph00 and he hasn't been around to drink it. I'm just gonna leave yesterday's in the pot until it's gone.

It is Wednesday, March 5th.

1623 - The first alcohol temperance law in the colonies was enacted in Virginia.

1624 - In the American colony of Virginia, the upper class was exempted from whipping by legislation.

1770 - "The Boston Massacre" took place when British troops fired on a crowd in Boston killing five people. Two British troops were later convicted of manslaughter.

1842 - A Mexican force of over 500 men under Rafael Vasquez invaded Texas for the first time since the revolution. They briefly occupied San Antonio, but soon headed back to the Rio Grande.

1845 - The U.S. Congress appropriated $30,000 to ship camels to the western U.S.

1868 - The U.S. Senate was organized into a court of impeachment to decide charges against President Andrew Johnson.

1872 - George Westinghouse patented the air brake.

1900 - Two U.S. battleships left for Nicaragua to halt revolutionary disturbances.

1922 - "Annie Oakley" (Phoebe Ann Moses) broke all existing records for women's trap shooting. She hit 98 out of 100 targets.

1933 - U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt ordered a four-day bank holiday in order to stop large amounts of money from being withdrawn from banks.

1946 - Winston Churchill delivered his "Iron Curtain Speech".

1956 - The U.S. Supreme Court affirmed the ban on segregation in public schools.

1977 - U.S. President Jimmy Carter appeared on CBS News with Walter Cronkite for the first "Dial-a-President" radio talk show.

1984 - The U.S. Supreme Court ruled that cities had the right to display the Nativity scene as part of their Christmas display.

1984 - The U.S. accused Iraq of using poison gas.

1997 - North Korea and South Korea met for first time in 25 years for peace talks.

1998 - NASA announced that an orbiting craft had found enough water on the moon to support a human colony and rocket fueling station.

1998 - It was announced that Air Force Lt. Col. Eileen Collins would lead crew of Columbia on a mission to launch a large X-ray telescope. She was the first woman to command a space shuttle mission.

Today's thought:
It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.

C0ffee and yesterday's ph00 is ready!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:20 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Greetings.
Heavy snowfall today. Its piling up fast.
Above freezing temps for the wknd.

Enjoy the day.

Lary, how come you have the photo albums?
Where's Bark's pix from when he (censored) the (censored) with a shrew?

Quick Reply: ****BREAKROOM - 3/2 to 3/8****