Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

****BREAKROOM - 3/2 to 3/8****

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 05:48 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
****BREAKROOM - 3/2 to 3/8****

Thanks to Tall Guy for the morning beverages and French toast!

Still snowing. Still cold. Still going to be that way for at least the next 2 weeks.

Today is Sunday, March 2nd.

1807 - The U.S. Congress passed an act to "prohibit the importation of slaves into any port or place within the jurisdiction of the United States... from any foreign kingdom, place, or country."

1836 - Texas declared its independence from Mexico and an ad interim government was formed.

1861 - The U.S. Congress created the Territory of Nevada.

1877 - In the U.S., Rutherford B. Hayes was declared the winner of the 1876 presidential election by the U.S. Congress. Samuel J. Tilden, however, had won the popular vote on November 7, 1876.

1897 - U.S. President Cleveland vetoed legislation that would have required a literacy test for immigrants entering the country.

1899 - Mount Rainier National Park in Washington was established by the U.S. Congress.

1899 - U.S. President McKinley signed a measure that created the rank of Admiral for the U.S. Navy. The first admiral was George Dewey.

1901 - The U.S. Congress passed the Platt amendment, which limited Cuban autonomy as a condition for withdrawal of U.S. troops.

1917 - Citizens of Puerto Rico were granted U.S. citizenship with the enactment of the Jones Act.

1925 - State and federal highway officials developed a nationwide route-numbering system and adopted the familiar U.S. shield-shaped, numbered marker.

1939 - The Massachusetts legislature voted to ratify the Bill of Rights to the U.S. Constitution. These first ten amendments had gone into effect 147 years before.

1949 - The B-50 Superfortress Lucky Lady II landed in Fort Worth, TX. The American plane had completed the first non-stop around-the-world flight.

1974 - Postage stamps jumped from 8 to 10 cents for first-class mail.

1987 - The U.S. government reported that the median price for a new home had gone over $100,000 for the first time.

1989 - Representatives from the 12 European Community nations all agreed to ban all production of CFCs (chlorofluorocarbons) by the end of the 20th century.

1998 - Images from the American spacecraft Galileo indicated that the Jupiter moon Europa has a liquid ocean and a source of interior heat.

2003 - Over the Sea of Japan, there was a confrontation between four armed North Korean fighter jets and a U.S. RC-135S Cobra Ball. No shots were fired in the encounter in international airspace about 150 miles off North Korea's coast. The U.S. Air Force announced that it would resume reconnaissance flights on March 12.

2004 - NASA announced that the Mars rover Opportunity had discovered evidence that water had existed on Mars in the past.

2011 - Steve Jobs unveiled Apple's iPad 2.

Today's thought:
Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.

Up and at 'em!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:57 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The Breakroom looks great! Waffles were good, hope I left enough for everyone, I kinda shouda stopped eating sooner.

I took the 89 D350 out for a test drive yesterday. It did great! Do need to do a tuneup, but not bad. It was amazing how much that 360 loves gas! Makes me like the diesel pickup that much more.
Getting ready for another major ice storm, generator filled and ready to run. Glad I have plenty of leave on the books, bet I end up calling in....

Stay safe out there!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:45 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hi

Bye
Old 03-02-2014, 09:08 AM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey big lug with new job! hi n bye to U 2!

helllllllooooo felons....... er, fellows!

best weather forecast is to call chaikwa. spot on a day later.

chris, yeah they'd love the 27 inch pear diameter of the 30 footer. I wonder what pear smoked meat would taste like. fish sounds good! walleye would be very tasty.....

snowing. colder tomorrow. feel like a country song.

RR, yeah nice how we miss a diesel. we pay 4.69 for a gallon though...

Bills put another player in the Canton hall of Fame, Andre reed- receiver.
they play the giants in an exhibition game the next day. might take a trip to see that....

hello Shorts! come out n play!!
Old 03-02-2014, 10:34 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
A jolly good morning to all of you from Paradise where it is...... oh wait, can't go there.

We survived the family wedding last night. Rolled into bed at 3:30 a.m. Left while the party was still going strong. Just could not take the unending 438db boom-boom and stupid strobe lights any longer. Why do the younger generation seem to feel that adding more volume to sounds with a beat equals quality "music". Sorry, but if you cannot whistle it, in no way can it be construed as music!!! It is just loud noise! Cannot even carry on a conversation with someone sitting next to you with that jarring noise. Even what they call dancing is just jumping up and down.

Wife woke up at 8, had something to eat and is now back in bed sleeping again. I may go for a nap myself later. BTW, neither of us are drinkers, so this has nothing to do with "sleeping it off".

Tomorrow we finish the packing for our big trip. Sure not looking forward to any of the flights, particularly that 15:22 hour non-stop flight, but the payoff will be worth it.

L8tr. Much l8tr.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:39 AM

Started today at 0. Rose to 4. Now at about -2. Still calling for 32 tomorrow, 43 Tuesday, over 60 for Thursday.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Good morning all y'all and you-uns, today will be moderately productive. Outside activities - I don't think so!! I did get up in good time this morning and there is a boneless cross-rib roast in the smoker that marinated all night. This will be the first test of the new Bradley smoker, so I hope it turns out well. If this is a success then I will do a brisket next weekend. I was reading an article yesterday talking about the winter we have been struggling through. Bark and Cougar may be getting off easy but most of us west of the Rockies and north of Texas are having one of the roughest winters in a LONG time. I want a rebate on all those charges we have been paying due to global warming prevention programs.

Play safe all ya'll and have a good day. Like JWBM always says, hey new folks who are lurking in the background, say hello!!!
Old 03-02-2014, 12:01 PM
DTR Mom

Hey TG, Stanimal, CA scott

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...34047094_n.jpg,

jeesh I know it is Sunday and dress your best n all BUT jees Loise Larry!!!!!

that would shut the site right on down.....oh my poor mind.
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/...34047094_n.jpg
Old 03-02-2014, 01:48 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

AAAaaaagggg, what are ya doing to us Sis!!
Guys,, I know this might sound strange to some of you but a fashion tip that Scotty and Lary
passed on to me is if you are going to get a Brazilian wax you need to shave both of your LEGGS.

Thanks for the breakroom and history lesson,

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Cannot even carry on a conversation with someone sitting next to you with that jarring noise.
I wear ear plugs but sometimes I like the loud music. Since nobody can hear what I am saying I can pass myself off as being halfway intelligent.
Problem is, when the music stops, and I don't hear it stop, I can appear halfway stupid.

Originally Posted by sherod
Waffles were good,
Waffles?!? If I knew there were waffles I would have been here sooner.
Scotty probably got the last of them.

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
I wonder what pear smoked meat would taste like.
I had access to a lot of Anjou pear trees and did not notice a difference between pear smoked and apple smoked stuff.

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
Bark and Cougar may be getting off easy but most of us west of the Rockies and north of Texas are having one of the roughest winters in a LONG time.
I feel for you. My main complaint is that I can only do my favorite smoked salmon when there is very little humidity.
Below 0°f really helps. Hasn't happened this year so I am just going to have to can the extra fish.
`
Old 03-02-2014, 01:51 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
I wonder what pear smoked meat would taste like.
You better burn some pear and smell the smoke before you waste good meat. As I remember, it's similar to american elm. (Pi$$ elm)

Apple is good. Black Cherry is my favorite.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Four dollars plus for diesel and to think I get upset paying 3.44 for it.

Day started out perty good but is going downhill fast started out in the mid sixtys down to 55 now heading for 14 rain to freezing rain then up to 12 inches of snow.

Finialy Gona order new track bat on the morning I see genos is selling one similar to Carli and thuren similar in price to Thuren. I was leaning Carli but money may dicate different. Any suggestions.

I can build a garage remodle my house build trans missions and engines but couldn't get a clothes rid to stay up.

****BREAKROOM - 3/2 to 3/8****-image-3302447711.jpg

And for the weather.

Say snow one more time
Old 03-02-2014, 02:19 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heidi, meat smoked with Pear tastes pretty much like apple smoked...
its the peach wood and cherry that really draw top dollar round here..
persimmon is supposed to put a nice flavor to the meat too, tho Ive never tasted it.

minus 25F windchill and blowing snow outside, quick check of the critters and staying inside today!

I have cabin fever so dern bad.....
Watched Pulp Fiction on the idiot-tube yesterday, and when Sam Jackson is pointing the gun at the kid yelling "say What one more time", all I could hear was "say SNOW one more time"...

THE BOSS is upset because we ran out of bird seed for the feeders and " the poor little things are cold AND hungry"..... guess its my fault... oh well..

Yall have a good'un, stay warm and B Safe
Chris
Old 03-02-2014, 03:12 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Dang, I never thought of using cherry and we got rid of a lot of it last year.
Dad only has one C tree left. He planted them over 50 years ago. You would think a tree would live forever.

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
persimmon is supposed to put a nice flavor to the meat too, tho Ive never tasted it.
WoW! Never thought of using persimmon either. I have access to it in CA. Have to experiment with it.

Originally Posted by railroaderone
Say snow one more time
Uh,,, SHOVEL!

This is an interesting article about 3-D printing.
I especially liked the part about the 3D printed prosthetics (also like the printing of food).
http://www.computerworld.com/slidesh...ers-could-make Gaaaaaa---- losing my mind. Cant remember how to embed a webpage.
Old 03-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Hey Sixslug-Kurt, did you hear about the avalanche in residential Missoula yesterday? That is just up the road from your home isn't it?
Old 03-02-2014, 08:15 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Howdy gang. Got in late last night after boarding plane at 5:45am yesterday in Reno. Long day. Great time - - I did get in my "winter" vacation - - all the winter I wanted. LOL Made me appreciate Florida all the more. Condo was right on waterside about 10' out from our deck looking north from South Tahoe the length of the lake meaning something like 27 or so miles. Some snow on the ground in clumps, but the slopes up Heavenly were great and running hard. Woke up Wednesday morning with 4" on the deck and 3' up Heavenly and the second and larger blast due on Thursday afternoon. We decided common sense was the best part of valor and we headed back over the pass and down to Reno Thursday afternoon. Have not downloaded pics but will get some out hopefully by Wednesday - - snowed with appointments and things needed doing RIGHT NOW. GGGRRRR.

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Tomorrow we finish the packing for our big trip. Sure not looking forward to any of the flights, particularly that 15:22 hour non-stop flight, but the payoff will be worth it.
Boy, I am with you there. 23 hours to Australia from Florida. I got there, unpacked and they picked me back up 1 hour later to go to the classroom and start teaching. I do not sleep on planes. Wow, was I shot. Not quite sure what I said, but they seemed to enjoy it - - or else were amused by it - - not sure of which.

See some ph00 is still here, so grab some and go do something creative.

Bob

Quick Reply: ****BREAKROOM - 3/2 to 3/8****